Peterson Stroboflip

louderock

Saw one of these yesterday. Seems pretty cool. What are 'sweetened' tunings? What exactly are Buzz Feiten tunings?

Teahead

Buzz Feiten tuning mode is intended for guitars with the Buzz Feiten system, they have oddly shaped frets which are designed to correct the imperfect intonation of the guitar.

The Sweetened tuning of the Peterson tuners are for those who use open strings and chords often, something about correcting the intonation again I think.

Basically only the G string is perfectly in tune, then each lower string from the G is tuned slightly flatter than the previous, where the B and E strings are tuned slightly sharper.

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
Buzz Feiten tuning mode is intended for guitars with the Buzz Feiten system, they have oddly shaped frets which are designed to correct the imperfect intonation of the guitar.
Actually, I think the nut is the only thing changed on a Buzz Feiten guitar.

NatDeroxL7

Strobo flip + a Buzz Feiten equipped guitar = amazing intonation from fret #1, to fret 22/24, across all strings, almost any chord.....its awesome. I'm saving up to get all my guitars retro fitted so I can get the most out of my strobo flip. All BF is, is just a new nut and set-up job, something most guitars probably need anytime you change string gauges! IF you search for the BF website it lists luthiers who are capable of doing it for you.

Both Strobo Flip and Buzz Feiten are highly recommended.

btmish

Oops, sorry guys. So, which is the oddly shaped frets method of correcting intonation? I'm sure I've seen such a guitar.
I know there is a Japan builder that has curved frets. I don't remember if it is PGM, Momose, or what.

louderock

Thanks for the info. I've found that depending on string gauge and pick thickness/ attack, it helps to tune the low E and A just a bit flat. Especially in drop D tunings. I work in the studio every day and it seems that slightly de-tuning helps tuning depending on the song. If you hit a string hard with a heavy pick, it will be sharp at first due to the heavy attack. Seems like this tuner would allow me to save certain settings that work best. Looks sturdier than the strobostomp.

Trending Topics