Peterson Strobostomp affects my signal in True Bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joost Assink, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

I've done some experimenting and the Peterson Strobostomp (V1) seems to suck tone even with the dipswitches up to 100% true bypass mode. Am I hearing things?

If so, what tuner offers REAL True Bypass and the same accuracy as the Strobostomp?

2. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

What are you comparing it with? If you're taking the cable out from the tuner to the amp, then you have to account for the capacitance of that cable. Otherwise, just get a male-to-male switchcraft adapter and leave the cable in.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Do you have it in the signal path or using it from a volume pedal tuner out?

I don't know how you are testing, but for me the only way is an A/B looper for going back and forth. I couldn't hear any difference, but just for convenience I usually use a one-loop loopers' send (only, no return) out to my Peterson (or any tuner, it is out of the circuit when not used) so I am not worried about it for myself.

4. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

I have the same problem with the peterson had to use an a/b with it

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I don't have any tone suckage issues with my peterson strobostomp2. You could try that...

6. Willdance

Willdance Member

my strobo2 has zero effect on my bypassed signal (in TB mode).

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Yep - you are :D

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I heard the same thing. There was a difference in the tone.
    I went to the Turbo Tuner. Haven't noticed anything yet.

9. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Mine absolutely thins out and shrills up my sound. I never had noticed, as it sounded better than my past tuners, but I recently bypassed it and was amazed. I put it in a Keeley bypass, all good now. It's still a great tuner, but I'm thinking if something doesn't make a sound it really should be out of the signal path, and the means to do so is elegant and cheap.

gb

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just a thing you might want to consider...I too put my Petersen (or at times my TU-2) in a keeley one loop looper, but check out this thread...
    if you are using SEND to send out to the tuner with no cable in the return on the keeley, you might want to rearrange it...after a year of doing it that way, one day I heard signal coming through even when the tuner was on (which meant to me...opposite, that tuner was still affecting my "signal path" even when it wasn't enabled..)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=513193

11. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Question. The Strobo-stomp displays a complex tonal spectrum including the fundamental tone. How is this extra information useful?

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Right! I had mine set to TB as well, and noticed quite a difference for the better when I took it out of the chain.

Me too!

13. jbird327

jbird327 Member

My pedal board consists of only a treble booster and when I put the strobostomp in the chain, there was a noticable difference.

14. cnotold

cnotold Member

yup I took strobo2 off my board as well (i had on TB setting). IT DOES AFFECT YOUR SIGNAL! < well in my case it did significantly

15. Gary Brennan

Thanks for the tip, I had not noticed it yet but I've only played at low volume at home since I "looped" the Strobo. I will listen for it tonight.

gb

16. jhumber

jhumber Member

17. Gary Brennan

I saw the speed difference, but not sure how it might be relevant, I dont see any use for either product in the manner the difference was illustrated. In the actual tuning demo their performance seemed equivalent, not withstanding whatever additional info might be gleaned from the Strobo's display.

gb

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Not true.

The TT is accurate to +/- 0.02 cents, yes. So it's accurate to 2/100ths of a cent.

The SS is accurate to +/- 0.10 cents. So the SS is accurate to 1/10th of a cent.

So, the TT is tracking that well (faster and with greater accuracy when used quickly) even though it's more sensitive than the SS by a factor of 5.

-Ben

19. 6789

6789 Member

The turbo tuner tracks notes easier for me. It is also programable if you have a "sweetened" setting you want to use.