Peterson Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VSpaceBoy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Ordered one from MF last week finally to replace my other tuner.

Got it in Friday.

Packing it up today to send back. :( To me it seems poorly constructed. The little plastic screen cover thing is unsticking and the input and output jacks both are noisy. Not to mention the whole thing just feels cheaply made. I think I'm going to go with the Korg D-10 instead.

2. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

That little plastic sticker is suposed to be removed by the owner.

The jacks have been discussed here before and on other forums. I've had one for over a year, it's been on tour in my pedalboard the majority of the time. It works great. I dropped the thing once backstage, the left small button got kinda messed up, but everything still works perfect.

IMO, this is not only the most accurate pedal tuner available, it's much more robust than the Boss TU-2, it's much more accurate than my Korg rack tuner, and it's true-bypass, etc... I can read it on a stage in direct sunlight, etc., etc...

I think you passed up a tremendous piece of gear, because you felt it was cheaply made. Whatever works for you, but maybe you should have tried it a little longer before you made up your mind?

3. Curt

Curt Member

The little plastic thing is the "overlay". Simply use any hair dryer and without getting too extreme, heat up (warm up) the overlay completely. The heat will warm the adhesive. Use your fingers and push the overlay from center to sides and then hold the overlay in place few minutes. Mine did it too. It's fine now. It's really no big deal.

4. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Actually its not a screen cover, its the whole acrylic piece that covers the maint unit. (I just checked just to be sure..) The sticky isn't holding it down so its kinda floating there if you know what I mean.

I do like how accurate it is.. thats the main reason I got it. However, anytime I move the cable just the slightest bit, I hear lottsa noise. Specially on the input. The housing seems like cheap plastic to me. The little buttons (as you pointed out) also seem delicate.

I guess the main thing it boils down to is.. paying top dollar for a tuner I would expect it to be build better.

5. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Ya know that sounds like it would work, thanks.

I'm still iffy on the noisy jacks though. If I chance sending it back, I wonder if I'd get another one just as bad. :jo

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Seems like you're jumping the gun sir. I'd reconsider. I agree that the construction doesn't exude confidence. But there is NO BETTER tuner man! I'd have to say this pedal lives up to the hype more than any... I promise!

I gig with mine constantly and BTW... not wanting to hook up my gig board, I just tuned with my Boss TU-2 (2 mins ago) and it sucks in comparison.

Open the box back up, pull the protective plastic off and put it on your board. If the jacks bother you so much replace them. Again I gig with mine all the time, no issues. :AOK

7. Curt

Curt Member

The information I gave you came directly from Peterson.

With all other tuners, *when* you scratch the tuner's display, the damage is permanent. But, if (and when) you accidentaly slide your foot over the Peterson's overlay and scratch it, you simply buy another one, install it and the pedal looks like new. *That's* a good thing.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Also, are you sure this isn't your cables??? Especially if they are George L's, mine do this sometimes, I then tighten the thumb screw back down... fixed!

Unless the jacks are actually loose and moving around, I don't see how this could occur, unless there is a bad solder joint... Grab your solder gun in that case. Simple to fix...

Again... I think that you should give it a chance... if you have to work out a few bugs, doesn't mean you need to throw the baby out with the bath water...:AOK

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The Strobe stomp is a die cast aluminum not plastic. :jo

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Yep, the box is the last thing you'll need to worry about. The jacks may be a different story though. After reading a few posts about jack issues, in a preemptive strike, the good folks at Peterson replaced my Stomp with loose jacks before they got dodgey. The replacement Stomp has a design that is slightly better but it probably wouldn't stand up to a lot of abuse. Still, I have had a Stomp on my board since about the time they came out and have not had a jack failure. No noticeable jack noise when playing either.

Weak input jacks are a common cause failure mode in many amps and pedals (and guitars - I play a G&L ASAT. Try wiggling that plug in the output jack on the ASAT!) and many manufacturers still opt for a marginal design that is difficult to service. I kept a TU12 on my board for many years and it had a marginal jacks design too. Never experienced a failure there either.

The buttons on the Stomp are kinda out of the way and the screen is protected. I've been stompin on mine wearing my cowboy boots for some time now with no issues in those areas. Just wish they'd bite the bullet and put in a top quality metal threaded body, non-board mounted jack. I see how it might bother you. Of course, like the TU12, the Korg might have the same problem. Don't know about that though.

But the Stomp is a very good tuner and even at the rather robust price, I am hooked on having one. It does make my guitars sound better than they sounded with the TU12. Great for setting intonation too. And to top it off, the Peterson folks are totally quality people. Unbeatable customer service in my experience. To use the old Harmony Central review saw...If lost, stolen, or damaged I would buy another one.

hunter

11. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Thanks for all of the comments.

No its not the cable.. I tested that first. Pulled the tuner out of th chain, wiggled the cable, nothing. Back in the chain, noise. I'll prob just take it apart and try and fix it.

I guess I'll go ahead and work on it some to get it up to par. I just don't think I should have to do that on something right out of the box. From the sounds of things, the quality control on these things isn't very tight.

12. Occam

Occam Member

Well every company turns out a few dogs, I've had mine since they first came out and have had a VS-1 from near the beginning to. My vs-1 has an issue with the ac-adapter but that's my fault for tripping on it a few too many times. Like a lot of others around here I'll never use another anything but a Peterson tuner, their tempered guitar tuning sounds so much better on a well set up guitar.

13. granite

granite Member

I'll agree with you that the box overall looks cheesy/cheap/whatever you want to call it. But, it is the best tuner I have ever used and would agree with the others who point out its benefits over the other units out there. If memory serves me, a majority of the regular posters here have a Strobostomp as well and think highly of it. Maybe you got a dud? I've never liked Musicians Friend as a supplier. Too many bad experiences with them. I use Sweetwater, Portland Music, etc...

14. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, there was a time not long ago when I'd never even dream of laying out that kinda dough for any pedal, let alone a tuner, but I've been buying some very pricey stomps lately, and have come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for.

And the strobo makes me & all my gear sound better. A lot better. Working w/it seems to have improved my ear, too. Also using it to redo my intonation every time I change strings.

Best pedal I own, and I got some pretty good ones..

But yours sounds like it might have slipped by the quality control guys. If I was you, I'd send it back for replacement. You shouldn't have to be messing around w/a brand new pedal.

BTW, mine's been gigged hard for the last year, and has none of the problems you've described.

15. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I wonder if it's possible to take out the board mounted jacks and replace them with some nice Switchcraft jacks? Maybe there just isn't enough room. I'll have to open mine up and look.

I'm sure this would void your warranty though.

Hamilton

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Another happy strobostomp owner here! +1 to everything stated.

I haven't owned mine for very long (got it last May), but it's a beaut!

17. Improviser

Improviser Member

Yep I've thought about this too. Except for the cheesy looks, I like evrything else about the pedal except for the jacks that come loose and then can't be secured properly. IMO this is the weak link in an otherwise great design.

18. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

THe jacks could be nicer

Sit down with the peterson after intonating your guitar... then fret each note on the fingerboard...

Yer probably going to find a lot of spots that are too sharp and too flat even though you *thought* it was intonated properly.

IT takes a little bit of fighting with a guitar to get all of the frets close to proper pitch... but it's only really possible to measure with a strobe tuner (from my experience)

19. viceroy

viceroy Member

Hey, by noisy, do you mean that you get a staticy sound, like the contact is making and breaking? If so, I've found (on other pedals I have) that I can remedy this by swabbing out inside the jack with an alcohol-soaked Q-tip (like cleaning an old tape head). Probably has more to do with the environment the thing was in rather than the jacks themselves--surface oxides??