• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pettyjohn Crush

jruano

New compressor from Stephen.

"Introducing the new #PettyjohnElectronics CRUSH compressor pedal! A #studiograde compressor in our #FoundrySeries single pedal format that is powered by a unique discrete voltage controlled amplifier (VCA). The CRUSH delivers highly musical compression in the spirit of beloved discrete VCA compressors."

Last edited:

gearhart

Whoa :):) I was so close to pulling the trigger on a Bogner Lyndhurst (which still sounds awesome of course). Definitely waiting now tho. This is all I've been able to find (Reverb ad):

The co-owners, Stephen Pettyjohn and Chris Hoff of Pettyjohn Electronics, based out of Albany, OR, announced on June 24th, the Pettyjohn CRUSH. The Pettyjohn CRUSH is a studio-grade compressor in our Foundry Series single pedal format that is powered by a unique Discrete Voltage Controlled Amplifier (VCA). After bringing the first Discrete Opamp based pedal to the market with the original PreDrive in 2014, we are pleased to bring the first Discrete VCA based guitar pedal to market!The CRUSH delivers highly musical compression in the spirit of beloved Discrete VCA compressors, such as those found in legendary British consoles, mastering buss compressors and vintage rack gear, but tailored specifically for use with any guitar or bass signals. Using a modern Discrete VCA in our design has its greatest advantage in that it is extremely transparent even at large gain reduction amounts. Compression can be a bit of a mysterious effect to dial in so we tried to make our controls easy to navigate while having enough depth to achieve several unique compression styles easily with one small box. Furthermore, the CRUSH has several useful tools for shaping your tone beyond traditional compression effects.

$369 - Estimated ship date: Jul 06, 2017

$369 some might say? Who knows, maybe this will be a mighty competitor for comps like the Roger Mayer 615 and the Effectrode PC-2A, etc…

Modulator

Does the ratio go so high (infinity:1) I could use it as a brickwall limiter? Input levels, instrument and line? I love my pettydrive2, don't need a compressor, but they always catch my eye.

gearhart

Just found this on another site:

The CRUSH delivers highly musical compression in the spirit of beloved Discrete VCA compressors, such as those found in legendary British consoles, mastering buss compressors and vintage rack gear, but tailored specifically for use with any guitar or bass signals. Using a modern Discrete VCA in our design has its greatest advantage in that it is extremely transparent even at large gain reduction amounts. Compression can be a bit of a mysterious effect to dial in so we tried to make our controls easy to navigate while having enough depth to achieve several unique compression styles easily with one small box. Furthermore, the CRUSH has several useful tools for shaping your tone beyond traditional compression effects. These features include a highly versatile TILT EQ circuit, a CLEAN MIX knob that mixes in a sweet, clean pre- amped signal and generous helping of make up gain on tap that can handle most boosting duties. Once you find your sweet spot, it may become a pedal you can’t live without!

With over a decade of dialing in studio compression on mixes and masters, Stephen Pettyjohn leaned heavily on his experience to voice the control settings of the CRUSH. At the core of the CRUSH controls are the two mini-toggles for RATIO and RELEASE. Each mini-toggle offers three settings for dialing in a vast array of different compression settings. The RATIO’s settings are LIGHT, 2:1 ratio, MED with a 4:1 ratio and HEAVY for a 10:1 ratio. The RELEASE settings are FAST, MED and SLOW and they set how long the compressor takes to recover once the threshold has been passed. The compression threshold is set via the “COMPRESSION” knob. The amount of compression increases as you lower the threshold by turning the knob clockwise. Use the “LEVEL” control to make-up for gain lost by the compression effect.

The CRUSH offers two more controls for shaping the tone beyond normal compressors. The TILT EQ knob adds a lot of tone-shaping power with one simple knob and has been voiced specifically to compliment the CRUSH. It has a neutral tone setting at noon, while brightness increases as you turn it to the right and it darkens the tone as you turn it to the left. The “MIX” control allows the user to add in a bit of the clean, un-compressed signal by turning the knob clockwise. This affects the feel of the pedal by adding back in transients and natural pick attack that can be smoothed out at higher compression settings. We recommend using the MIX knob like an attack control, and recommend feeling your way through after other settings are dialed in.

Most importantly, the CRUSH has been engineered to deliver sound quality and performance that is in the same league with some of the most famous studio compressors of all time. The unique Discrete VCA we use offers extremely low distortion and low noise while with preserving superb sound quality. We describe it as being both transparent and musical. You will hear your guitar’s natural tone come through clearly while it somehow imparts a bit of that elusive magic and life only available from high-end analog gear. Due to the fact that our Discrete VCA is originally designed as a drop in replacement part for studio gear, it requires extra high voltage rails. The CRUSH has a special internal power section that creates a dual power rail structure that the VCA requires and thus it has special power requirements. The CRUSH needs 12V-18V of standard center tip negative power with at least 150mA to operate cleanly. The signal path uses only the highest quality parts from 1% metal film resistors, to WIMA coupling caps and top-shelf Burr Browns opamps in the analog signal path so that your tone stays naturally intact on its journey through the compressor’s circuit.

I don't mean this as a trolling comment, because I'm very excited to see a compressor offering from Pettyjohn… but I really wish they would've stuck with their original design and format. The PreDrive and original PettyDrive were such great looking pedals, so much packed into a compact form factor. Even if they would keep these single foundry sizes but make their double pedals like the original, but instead they basically just stick two foundry pedals together in a single housing that's too wide comparatively and not nearly as sleek. I know why they did it, customers demanded labeled controls. But I personally think they should've stuck to their guns and kept their original design for the double footswitch pedals.

All that being said, this compressor looks like it's gone be really good!

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Does the ratio go so high (infinity:1) I could use it as a brickwall limiter? Input levels, instrument and line? I love my pettydrive2, don't need a compressor, but they always catch my eye.
no.
10:1 is its topmost setting.

gearhart

Oh yeah…;)

I personally play mostly split into stereo/2 amps. I've just always loved the blending of different drives and effect textures (and riding the guitar volume knob). And usually first in each chain is a compressor (wah before the split). Something perhaps as a boost and tone enhancer as much as squeezing the goodness out of what an effective compressor can bring (even if remaining subtle). Right now the PressuRizer and Cocaine comps are first in my lines (no pun intended => cocaine lines?). But the Pettyjohn Crush and likely the Bogner Lyndhurst will get auditions. I mean I GOTTA try out the Crush.

Thanks guys for getting this going! The CRUSH has been a long time coming and has some unique features for the pedal world to consider. First of all, I would consider it a compressor for those who normally don't like squashy compressors. Specifically, its deigned around a Discrete VCA, made by the same company as our Discrete Opamps in our Lift and PreDrive, so its equally transparent. The chip has been modified for our design but is essentially a drop in replacement/upgrade for SSL channel and buss compressors, vintage DBX compressors and some of the older Harrison consoles. Top notch stuff... the VCA itself is extremely transparent with vanishingly low THD and noise specs. To make things even more smooth, Ive used a RMS detection circuit, instead of a classic peak detection sensor. This means the compressor "sees" the whole signal and its "loudness" vs just a pick attack spike. Attack is preset fast, but it isnt as grabby on pick attack as you may expect, due to the RMS sensor. Until 8-10 dB of gain reduction is reached is sounds more like the saturation of a power tube section then a standard compressor. I really have been enjoying my prototype after my drives, as overdrive increases the RMS value of the signal and thus helps trigger the comp at higher threshold levels. Really smooths out the signal and adds a bit of magic, weight and punch while adding another level of "3D" to the tone without really "changing" it. Still a bit hard to describe, but once you get it set for your rig, its a better maker for sure!

Also, tests so far are amazing on bass and acoustic instruments! Really looking forward to how people like it! As a studio engineer before a pedal designer, compression is a bit of a life-long love of mine. I wanted to bring something unique and highly transparent to the market of what I feel is mostly highly colored, pumpy, often noisy pedal compressors. As always, we are a small company and your support is amazing to us and keeps us trying new things!

Cheers!
Stephen Pettyjohn

I don't mean this as a trolling comment, because I'm very excited to see a compressor offering from Pettyjohn… but I really wish they would've stuck with their original design and format. The PreDrive and original PettyDrive were such great looking pedals, so much packed into a compact form factor. Even if they would keep these single foundry sizes but make their double pedals like the original, but instead they basically just stick two foundry pedals together in a single housing that's too wide comparatively and not nearly as sleek. I know why they did it, customers demanded labeled controls. But I personally think they should've stuck to their guns and kept their original design for the double footswitch pedals.

All that being said, this compressor looks like it's gone be really good!
I like the original box... was to small for the pettydrive to really thrive in. Still use it for the predrive and who knows, maybe Ill use it for something else in the future. Cheers! Stephen

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I've been waiting to hear about a foundry series "harmonic drive"... like the drive portion of the PreDrive with maybe a little more gain on tap.

I've tried a few compressors and I think it's just really not my thing. I also try to avoid compressed drive pedals (I know that breakup is compression but some are more compressed than others).

I had a pre-drive for a while. It was like a nice tube preamp or something I guess (not that I've played many of those). It seemed to warm up the sound and add some depth. Really smooth and nice but I don't tend to go for things that darken by default and that's kind of what I though I heard with the knobs full cw. I remember having to dial back the low cut to get back to what I heard as unity (ran it at 18v). It was also kind of big and expensive and I think board space and financial concerns got the better of me and I sold it...

I really liked the tone of the overdrive on the predrive though. There wasn't much there (very low gain) but what was there really caught my ear. I use low gain most often anyway. I've been looking for a nice smooth LG drive like that since. Maybe one with a more neutral EQ and even slightly less compressed sound. I've avoided the Chime because I don't want something with a brittle tone that can't be dialed out easily and, again, plenty of compression (based on some people's negative reviews of it - I guess the middle position shouldn't be so compressed)... and the Iron seems less neutral in it's EQ by design. I basically use my Blackstone Mosfet to get this smooth LG tone at the moment.

What do you think? Could a Foundry Harmonic Drive be in the cards?

jruano

Thanks guys for getting this going! The CRUSH has been a long time coming and has some unique features for the pedal world to consider. First of all, I would consider it a compressor for those who normally don't like squashy compressors. Specifically, its deigned around a Discrete VCA, made by the same company as our Discrete Opamps in our Lift and PreDrive, so its equally transparent. The chip has been modified for our design but is essentially a drop in replacement/upgrade for SSL channel and buss compressors, vintage DBX compressors and some of the older Harrison consoles. Top notch stuff... the VCA itself is extremely transparent with vanishingly low THD and noise specs. To make things even more smooth, Ive used a RMS detection circuit, instead of a classic peak detection sensor. This means the compressor "sees" the whole signal and its "loudness" vs just a pick attack spike. Attack is preset fast, but it isnt as grabby on pick attack as you may expect, due to the RMS sensor. Until 8-10 dB of gain reduction is reached is sounds more like the saturation of a power tube section then a standard compressor. I really have been enjoying my prototype after my drives, as overdrive increases the RMS value of the signal and thus helps trigger the comp at higher threshold levels. Really smooths out the signal and adds a bit of magic, weight and punch while adding another level of "3D" to the tone without really "changing" it. Still a bit hard to describe, but once you get it set for your rig, its a better maker for sure!

Also, tests so far are amazing on bass and acoustic instruments! Really looking forward to how people like it! As a studio engineer before a pedal designer, compression is a bit of a life-long love of mine. I wanted to bring something unique and highly transparent to the market of what I feel is mostly highly colored, pumpy, often noisy pedal compressors. As always, we are a small company and your support is amazing to us and keeps us trying new things!

Cheers!
Stephen Pettyjohn
Stephen, how would you say the Crush compares to a FET type comp? Thanks, and keep up the great work.

I've been waiting to hear about a foundry series "harmonic drive"... like the drive portion of the PreDrive with maybe a little more gain on tap.

I've tried a few compressors and I think it's just really not my thing. I also try to avoid compressed drive pedals (I know that breakup is compression but some are more compressed than others).

I had a pre-drive for a while. It was like a nice tube preamp or something I guess (not that I've played many of those). It seemed to warm up the sound and add some depth. Really smooth and nice but I don't tend to go for things that darken by default and that's kind of what I though I heard with the knobs full cw. I remember having to dial back the low cut to get back to what I heard as unity (ran it at 18v). It was also kind of big and expensive and I think board space and financial concerns got the better of me and I sold it...

I really liked the tone of the overdrive on the predrive though. There wasn't much there (very low gain) but what was there really caught my ear. I use low gain most often anyway. I've been looking for a nice smooth LG drive like that since. Maybe one with a more neutral EQ and even slightly less compressed sound. I've avoided the Chime because I don't want something with a brittle tone that can't be dialed out easily and, again, plenty of compression (based on some people's negative reviews of it - I guess the middle position shouldn't be so compressed)... and the Iron seems less neutral in it's EQ by design. I basically use my Blackstone Mosfet to get this smooth LG tone at the moment.

What do you think? Could a Foundry Harmonic Drive be in the cards?
Well, I do like the Harmonic Drive circuit and I have actually prototyped a circuit that has more gain and I really liked it. What is a more Neutral EQ mean to you? I may be able to do a 1 of for you sometime if your interested. PM me for more info if you want.

Also, the IRON is designed to be fairly flat/ neutral and then warm up with the EQ knob. It never gets super bright, more smooth.

Cheers!
stephen

Stephen, how would you say the Crush compares to a FET type comp? Thanks, and keep up the great work.
The CRUSH would be on the absolute opposite end of the compression spectrum. FET comps are one of the most aggressive, fast, pumpy style comps on guitars IMHO. Great for a squashy, aggressive sound. The CRUSH is smooth and transparent tonewise, with a natural saturation curve that can feel like pushed power tubes or really clamp for extra sustain without feeling aggressive or un-natural. Hope that helps! Cheers!
Stephen

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I do like the Harmonic Drive circuit and I have actually prototyped a circuit that has more gain and I really liked it. What is a more Neutral EQ mean to you? I may be able to do a 1 of for you sometime if your interested. PM me for more info if you want.

Also, the IRON is designed to be fairly flat/ neutral and then warm up with the EQ knob. It never gets super bright, more smooth.

Cheers!
stephen
Thanks for the reply! I'll send you a PM soon. Sounds like maybe I misunderstood the design and sound of the Iron drive. I've never heard one in person.

Sorry to the OP for the slight highjack of the thread. This new compressor looks (and sounds) like it will be a great addition to what is already out there in the market. My last compressor was a Barber Compact Tone Press which I only mention because I noticed this new compressor also has a mix knob. The features here go beyond the Barber but being able to blend in the compression seems very useful in any compression device.

Trending Topics