Pex piping in houses we are looking at?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by neastguy, Feb 3, 2015.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

should I be concerned or just roll with it.... I'm used to copper.. and I am not a plumber... your exp?

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Pretty much the standard in new houses now. It's great.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Pex is the way to go. There are no chance of leaky elbow joints like copper piping. In a new construction home, it is much cheaper to build a home using Pex as the material is cheaper and also easier to install since you can use a continuos line from fixture to the main water source or main water line. No worries whatsoever, it is becoming the standard in plumbing and new construction even though it has been around for well over 15-20 years.

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Every new house our friends have had built uses pex. I have heard a few plumbers say it's perfectly fine.

5. figgy

figgy Member

All the above. A great product.

6. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    PEX has been in use for decades now. Like anything else, as long as its installed and fitted properly its reliable. You're going to see either CPVC or PEX in most new houses, not copper.

7. Peeb

Peeb Member

I was told it wouldn't bust if it froze and thawed.

8. figgy

figgy Member

That is correct.

9. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it is much more elastic, so it expands and retracts without bursting.

If I were to build a new house for myself, I'd do it in Pex. [plumber for 30 years]

The only criticism I've ever heard is "rats can chew it". Well, you have a rat problem, not a water supply materials problem. Get rid of the rats. They can wreak havoc on many many things in your home [electrical wiring for one].

10. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

awesome.. thanks for the info

11. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)

"I had my whole house re-piped in copper because the rats kept chewing up my PEX"

[​IMG]

12. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

In my old house I was starting to replace the copper with PEX. It was well worth it as we had very hard water that caused pin holes in the copper over time. The PEX will outlast the copper in that respect. Plus it's easy to install. If I had to redo an entire house I would go with PEX.

13. 335guy

335guy Member

I had to re-pipe the water supply lines in my home because the very old ones were galvanized steel and were pretty corroded. I chose PEX over copper because it was a bit less and everything I read said it would last just as long, if not longer. That was a couple of years ago and so far, no problems.

14. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

The key is the manifold. Each faucet gets its own hot and cold line, which results in less water run while waiting for it to heat. It helps with efficiency. It also makes changing one single line much easier. And crooks won't break into your house and steal your copper, which happened to a house I rehabbed. They broke the copper off at the wall, and I showed up to a flooding basement and had to run a new line from the street. Had they broke it off two inches away from the wall, I would have saved over a 1000 dollars on fixing the deal. Still pissed about those crooks. They stole my tools too, but only like $100 worth.

15. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Pex is also sometimes used under concrete driveways to melt snow, Correct?
    Isn't it also sometimes used under flooring (crawlspace) to heat floors?

16. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Is UV exposure an overblown concern?

17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, UV exposure is a concern if it's going to be exposed to sunlight, but in a house, all your piping is concealed in the walls and ceilings. You might have some exposed in your basement, but typically there's not going to be any UV to worry about.

18. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I recently completed a huge capital project at work (80k sq foot new building) and Pex came highly recommended. I remember my facilities VP wanted special valves though...maybe brass? Not sure, that's what I pay the experts for, but remember the conversation during a weekly status session.

19. geoangus

geoangus Member

After dealing with several pin hole leaks (low pH) in the basement over the course of a year, culminating in a leak between the first and second floor (what a mess), we replaced all of the copper in the house with pex just over a year ago. Very neat install, dedicated lines to each fixture.

20. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Yes.