PG Billy Gibbons Rig Run Down

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
Man, 9 pages of geek talk and no mention of the angelic interviewer? Shame, shame on you all...
Ehhh... she's OK looking I guess. But you live in Minneapolis, right? I used to live there. That town is full of busty Viking goddesses that would put the PG interviewer to shame!

Interesting stuff about the EQ presets though...who wouldn't want a Tele to sound like a Tele?
This is the exact thing I was going to say.

GearHeadFred

BFG is a serious influence on me. His recordings are the main reason I learned to play the guitar. That said, just a few comments.

String gauge: Simple physics: Pickups put out more voltage when the string is more massive. You can't argue that. This can be compensated for with gain, either in the amp, or in the pre-processing... but there is no exact substitute for heavy strings. The dirtier the tone, the less this matters.. I suspect this is a big reason why he doesn't conjure up the "Brown Sugar" tone from the first album.. I'll bet those weren't .007s on that tune!

EQ Matching of guitars: Again, you can only approximate this, even with a 31 band EQ. What about sustain? What about the wood, the bridge, the fingerboard, the frets, etc, etc. Again, I think these subtleties get lost or squashed (!!!!) when running a lot of distortion.. which BFG has done since Eliminator.. and even before that live (the live Deguello clips on youtube have WAY too much distortion!)

I was lucky enough to meet Billy about 5 years ago.. He is a skinny dude behind that beard!

sgmarshall

I saw them last year, and back in 1980. First time he (and Dusty) had Rio Grande amps- had a very Marshally tone back then. Last year (didn't see the amps-3 cabs stacked on a stand, pointing different directions), sounded like Rev. Willie G. , but he does have the finesse in his playing that a lot of players don't. He gets his sound no matter what he uses. They were slow getting started, but once got wound up, were kicking...I will add that Billy was moving a little slow, and does look like he's not healthy.

Cream

Ehhh... she's OK looking I guess. But you live in Minneapolis, right? I used to live there. That town is full of busty Viking goddesses that would put the PG interviewer to shame.
Thanks, "Busty Viking Goddesses" is my new band name.

FWIW, if I found a girl like Rebecca that could talk amps and pickup heights, I would marry her in an instant.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
when you're billy gibbons you a} don't joke the joker b} play the room c}fabricate, reorganize and manufacture truth. it's part of the schtick and his tech has the shell game down with perfection. if you double down against BG you will lose. every single time. true story.

Eskimo_Joe

Rocker, roller, way out of controller
Silver Supporting Member
surprising that he uses such ridiculously light strings.

dzo

I've been in the Bolin shop when he was working on a Billy Les Paul. He was removing wood from the neck. Calling it a chambered neck would be a bit extreme but this was a few years ago so maybe they're pushing it futher these days.

Last edited:

spakuloid

when you're billy gibbons you a} don't joke the joker b} play the room c}fabricate, reorganize and manufacture truth. it's part of the schtick and his tech has the shell game down with perfection. if you double down against BG you will lose. every single time. true story.
So what you're implying is that all of that equipment and gear in the video is a ruse to fool us? The tech saying he plays light .007's is a joke? Hollowed out neck thing is false? The guitars don't all sound the same because he eq's them that way? Why would he need to lie about his backline setup now at this point in his career? No one is stealing his mojo. Most people I know love his old tone from the early records which - if I recall correctly - is all marshall.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
i shall not steal the preacher's thunder. but if there were ever a wizard behind the curtain it's billy gibbons. he's an entertainer is perhaps what i'm saying?

spakuloid

Entertainer and songwriter. Absolutely. And the tone he gets on the first 3 records is about as good as it gets. Anyone looking for holy grail Marshall amp tones should study those records.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
Entertainer and songwriter. Absolutely. And the tone he gets on the first 3 records is about as good as it gets. Anyone looking for holy grail Marshall amp tones should study those records.
in two-thousand percent agreement. there's nothing more to pursue tonally that would be more rewarding than that point in his carer. and, for me, there's not much more beyond those records that could stand equal. i have always been a billy gibbons fan but the greater his legend grows the further away it is about his great band and the music.

teemuk

Gibbons has absolutely no reason to be mysterious about his rig, except perhaps his own amusement. He can get his signature tone with pretty much every rig, and the guy has had a lot of variation in them throughout his career. Just face it, your biggest problem is not the equipment, it's that you will never, ever cop his chops and style.

For example, this is what Terry Manning has said about recording "Eliminator":
The guitar was recorded with basically only one setup: one amp (Legend), one speaker (12″), one guitar (Deans, the two were almost exactly the same), one mic (AKG 414B-ULS, I still have it) in one position (about 5″ from the cone, placed at a slight angle off axis) and one mic pre (the SpectraSonics console). Ninety-eight percent of ALL guitar on this album, whether lead or rhythm, was done this way. Any variations were from the player himself, who, remember, did not even have a tone control. That’s how good Billy was back then.

Howie

He has the easiest job in the world. Wrote some songs and plays them over and over, Doesnt have to learn anything new and gets paid very well. He`s a very lucky fellow.

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
He has the easiest job in the world. Wrote some songs and plays them over and over, Doesnt have to learn anything new and gets paid very well. He`s a very lucky fellow.
You seem to be discounting the work that it took for him to get himself there. I don't call hard work "luck".

digiTED

rock > talk
Scott Auld said:
You seem to be discounting the work that it took for him to get himself there. I don't call hard work "luck".
Some wise person once said (paraphrase):
"The harder you work, the luckier you get." I think it applies to Rev. Billy pretty dang well.

Trending Topics