PGS Smackdown - Klon Centaur Vs. Lovepedal Kalamazoo Overdrive

RorySquier

Here's an interesting comparison between some pretty impressive guitar pedals which I find simply intriguing. I know some of these Centaurs can run for some serious big $$$ on EBay. Who do you think is the winner? Hopefully members on here & some of the members from the Marshall Forum can weigh on this battle. Personally I think the Centaur is one heavy Mother IMHO.:boxer:BluesBros

srmd22

Zombie revival! Sound nearly identical to me, though not completely!! What about lovepedal vs. all the other Klones! I am about to pick up a Klone, looking at the whole gamut, AF (used), Mojo pedals, Pedal Monster, Makesoundsloudly, Monsterpiece stud, Rawkworks, Arcane Analog, Mythical OD, etc.

What did you pick, and why?

jonathansuhr

Well, into an overdriven amp, any additional drive from pedals is ultimately going to be trumped by the overdriven tone of the amp. I wouldn't say this is a fair comparison, but it does show that both pedals have similar EQs in their design. My two cents!

nateco

Weird...I was just about to post a thread about the Kalamazoo.

Been checking clips all day.

ShredSquatch

Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist
:roll

I have a silver Klon and have played the silver and gold Kalamazoo and they sound great but don't sound like a Klon. I read on the internets that video was done to boost the kalamazoo sales. :dunno

I do think that now a days you can get any pedal to sound like a Klon in a bedroom setting and on youtubes and what not...

"Hey my pedal sounds like a Klon come get Fifty" :waiting

----

Last edited:

wedewer

I had a silver klon. Like an idiot I sold it right before Bill stopped making them. After watching the PGS video I got a Kalamazoo. Nice pedal but it doesn't do what the klon does. Not as full sounding and doesn't seem to have as much clean boost power.

Seth L

:roll

I have a silver Klon and have played the silver and gold Kalamazoo and they sound great but don't sound like a Klon. I read on the internets that video was done to boost the kalamazoo sales. :dunno

I do think that now a days you can get any pedal to sound like a Klon in a bedroom setting and on youtubes and what not...

"Hey my pedal sounds like a Klon come get Fifty" :waiting

----
They sound identical. Make up any excuses you want. Klons are very nice pedals, but they're not really that unique.

ShredSquatch

They sound identical.
Yes, in the video posted they do sound very close as do all of the other klones vs Klon youtube videos. When you get them in a "live" situation things change and the Klon separates from the pack... as I mentioned earlier I have a Klon and my friend has the Kalamazoo's. We played them side by side and they DO NOT sound identical. The Kalamazoo is a great pedal but I personally think the AFV1 (Aluminum Falcon) sounds the closest to a Klon much closer than the Kalamazoo.

Once again this is based on owning a Klon and playing it side by side vs the Kalamazoo and the Falcon at gig level volumes...

Just curious do you have an original Klon or are you just basing your opinion on that youtube video?

Make up any excuses you want.
Nobody's making up excuses just conversing on a message board

Klons are very nice pedals, but they're not really that unique.
Yes they are VERY nice... They are the originator not the imitator and they bring more value and hype, much more than any other pedal so in that aspect they are unique... Tone wise, one could argue the "unique" point all day as taste are subjective.

---

Seth L

I take anything said by a klon owner with a grain of salt. They have to proclaim everything else not quite as good. To use your word, it's mostly hype.

TGP demos and real-life are two different things. Any session player or engineer will know why.

TGP records their videos with a Royer 121 ribbon mic with a UA preamp from the amp. Those pieces are known to make tone exceptionally warm and roll of treble when recording. I think the preamp/amp combination definitely gives more character than the pedals in PGS demos. It can be misleading thinking you're gonna get this warm, fat pedal based on the demo and what comes out of your amp is not what you heard...

McGurk

I just watched that for the first time. I definitely said to myself, "B is better," and was surprised that it wasn't the Klon. Kinda makes me want to buy a Kalamazoo!

ShredSquatch

I take anything said by a klon owner with a grain of salt. They have to proclaim everything else not quite as good. To use your word, it's mostly hype.
the correct quote is "they bring more value and hype, much more than any other pedal" not as you misquoted "it's mostly hype"

So you don't own a Klon and have never played one... I rest my case

Nice conversing with you! :drink

Back to the OP The Kalamazoo is a great pedal.

TGP demos and real-life are two different things. Any session player or engineer will know why.

TGP records their videos with a Royer 121 ribbon mic with a UA preamp from the amp. Those pieces are known to make tone exceptionally warm and roll of treble when recording. I think the preamp/amp combination definitely gives more character than the pedals in PGS demos. It can be misleading thinking you're gonna get this warm, fat pedal based on the demo and what comes out of your amp is not what you heard...
Great post....

---

ShredSquatch

Do you guys actually call those things "My Precious?"
:spit That made me laugh out loud... the woman is looking at me like "wtf???"

It is pretty ridiculous sometimes (read my parody thread linked below... my attempt at making fun of the whole Klon thing)

:beer

srmd22

So... the take home is the Kalamazoo is a great pedal, but doesn't really sound like a Klon unless you use magical professional production equipment and techniques to make do so.

Also, maybe some of the other klones sound closer.

Well, that is confusing. I may never figure out which Klone to try first. :drown

Trending Topics