PGS Storefront visit!!!!! (Synergy, Boiling Point, Neo Vent content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jet Age Eric, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Disclaimer: I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME. I needed at least four more hours, but we were on tour and had a soundcheck to get to (and we wanted to eat).

OK, so the storefront is GORGEOUS. I was totally expecting something dingy, sloppy, and poorly lit, with stacks of boxes. Nuh-uh. Lucite/glass display cases, beautifully presented guitars, and chairs/loveseats that all but demand that you sit down and chill.

The first thing I had to try was the SolidGold Superdrive Synergy. I've described the Superdrive as the anti-Tim: Where the Tim, to me, is your guitar with hair, the Superdrive is the sound of your rig cranked. The Synergy straddles the two: It doesn't capture amp saturation the way the stock Superdrive does; it's more open and, yes, sounds like your guitar with hair. The difference is that the character of the dirt itself is more amp-like, so whereas I found the Tim and, say Xotic AC Boost-Comp (which I think is a similar kind of pedal) to be harsh, the distortion/drive of the Synergy has the same saturated character as the stock Superdrive, which is to say "tubular" and therefore, to me, better. :) Burgs' demo is a REALLY good indicator.

I have an old model Superdrive and, as some of you may know, I think it's perfect but, having played the Synergy, I'm curious if I'd use the three-way toggle on the current model Superdrive. I don't want to go there ...

I spent a LOT of time on the Synergy, and the clock was ticking so I only had time to try two more pedals :(, but they were good'uns: Boiling Point and Neo Vent.

The Boiling Point sounds GREAT. My favorite setting was left toggle all the way to the right, right toggle in the middle. I didn't realize the drive is stepped, which seems crazy, but it actually worked. The pedal was a bit stiff and sterile (some of that might've been the Deluxe Reverb I was playing, which seemed like it needed to be broken in), but the drive was really nice and the tone control worked (and I only needed a touch of it). The price remains mysterious to me, and it wouldn't knock off my Superdrive, but if there were no Superdrive I could see this being my main OD.

The Neo Vent surprised me because it excelled in two areas I wasn't execpting it to excel: Base tone and fast speed. I've owned a Rotosphere, RT-20 (for about 24 ours), and now use a Rotosime. Of those three, the Rotosphere had the best fast effect, but the slow effect gets lost in the mix; the Rotosim doesn't sound QUITE as good but the fast speed effect is almost as good and the slow speed stands out more. I assumed the Vent would have a radically more realistic slow effect but it didn't. It just had better frequency response, which helped the fast speed effect pop more. On the one hand, the tonal response was so much bigger and open it seems like a no-brainer upgrade. On the other hand, for that kind of money, I'd like to be more blown away by the effect itself. I guess, as with so many things, if money were no object ... :p

Anyhow, it was an awesome visit despite the time restrictions, and Alex and his coworker (whose name escapes me) were hugely helpful. I seriously, seriously, seriously recommend stopping in and, if you do, make sure you've freed up your afternoon (but you knew that). -E

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

I am really tempted by the Synergy Super Drive. It seems to be super responsive and I am sure it is at home going into a clean amplifier, do you think it will sit well going into an amp on the edge of breakup?

3. Zagman

Zagman Member

I love visiting the storefront!! It's one of the best brick & mortar experiences to be had. My first visit, I had the chance try the Cannibus Rex Fender Blues jr and almost walked out with it! Second visit, I had my wife and 2 year old daughter in tow but I couldn't resist another another visit. This time I got the chance to play in their isolation booth. What a great idea! Because of my experience in the iso-booth playing the Vox AC15hw, I sold an amp to finance the Vox purchase. If and when I move to Portland, PGS will play in the decision ( as will my desire to keep the dream of the 90s alive)

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I think it'd be great in that capacity. It is SUPER responsive.

I was in the ISO room and I totally agree it's a great idea. LOL on the Portlandia ref. :) -E

5. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

I'm in Portland rigtt now for work, was debating whether I should drop in...you guys just convinced me! :)

6. djy8131

djy8131 Member

"OK, so the storefront is GORGEOUS. I was totally expecting something dingy, sloppy, and poorly lit, with stacks of boxes. Nuh-uh. Lucite/glass display cases, beautifully presented guitars, and chairs/loveseats that all but demand that you sit down and chill.
    "
    (looks like quote part didn't work)
    They do have a regular warehouse about 20 minutes away. This is where the store used to be.

The ISO booth is why I bought my Carr Rambler. It was nice to be able to sit down and play it without interruption! When I want a new pedal, I usually go down there and try them out side by side in the booth.

7. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I got curious... from Google maps/store info:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish they had more photos! :bounce

_

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

You're welcome! :p -E

9. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Wish I had known you guys were playing in town. I would have came to the show.

They have a great crew working at that store. Super friendly and helpful. And none of the attitude that you frequently find in a lot of music stores.

10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I posted dates in the Gigs forum; dunno how much pimping and where is appropriate, y'know? Ah, well; thanks anyway!

The opener, American R & R, are big CB fans and, of course, we talked shop. :) (They sounded great, too.) I had dreams of stopping by your shop (I'm under the impression you guys take visitors but would have verified), but we were just slammed, schedule-wise. -E

11. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

So I did drop in...came out with a Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive...doh!

12. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

What style music do you play, Jet Age?

I also learned a new descriptive term; "tubular".

Nice.

13. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I think the question on everyone's mind is: Did you get to meet Andy from PGS?

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

You're welcome? :)

Indie rock (music is in the sig if you wanna get REALLY precise).

Yeah; he was scrubbing the toilet bowl. I quickly averted my eyes.

Of course, I kid. (No Andy sighting, but I was more interested in my own demo. :p) -E

15. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

Holy crap that's awesome. So high class. You just convinced me to go to portland.

16. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

I think Andy is probably at the other location most of the time, making demos.

I won Free Pedal Friday in the early weeks, and Andy called me (not sure if he still does that). It was awesome and a very surreal experience for me. Quite the nice guy. PGS is one of my faves.

17. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Answering phones, scrubbing toilets ... poor bastard! (Still kidding. Will stop.) -E

19. thesooze

thesooze Member

I'm headed to Portland in April... we're planning on visiting the PGS storefront. Is it possible I could meet PGS Andy there??

20. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Probably not. Andy works at the PGS headquarters most of the time from my understanding.