• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Phaez Amp owners - need advice!

Been emailing with Randy and going to pull the pin on a Phaez in the near future. Narrowed it down to the Daisycutter or the JTM. I'll probably go with a 12 watt model as it's a good compromise between the full 18 watts and the smaller 8 watt. I want it mostly for home use but also jam with buddies from time to time...from what I hear the 8 watt can keep up with a drummer and the 18 watt is super loud so I should be striking a good balance in the middle.

I want it for classic rock/blues stuff (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Free, Clapton, etc) but also for GnR, STP, RATM, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam ... more modern rock sounds. I'm not overly concerned with it doing metal but a few Metallica riffs would be covered! Cleans are important but it doesn't need to crazy clean cuz I'm using humbuckers.

So for users out there or guys who have played them - do I go with the Daisycutter or the JTM?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Have randy put both in the same chassis (a Duophonic). That's not much more expensive than a single amp in the head.

Onioner

Have randy put both in the same chassis (a Duophonic). That's not much more expensive than a single amp in the head.
Except he's trying very hard to not do those. Probably would ('cause he's a pushover), but trying not to.

This question gets asked a lot. They're pretty similar amps. Odds are great you could flip a coin and be very happy with the outcome.

In my oversimplificatious (??) ways, the JTM if you really want the classic, and a DC if you want something a bit more unique. I haven't played the JTM, but my understanding is that the DC has a bit more gain on tap, and is a little more touch sensitive, and responsive. Not that that JTM isn't touch sensitive, but the DC just more so. For all the talk about how the DC is like a Marshall, or specifically a Plexi, I found a good bit of Trainwreck in mine. Very quick playing.

This last bit is very much IMO and YMMV, but I think I really prefer the push/pull versions. Volume difference between 12 and 18 isn't that huge. If it were me, I'd just go for the 18. They've got great masters, and it's not like two EL84s get that loud...

In my oversimplificatious (??) ways, the JTM if you really want the classic, and a DC if you want something a bit more unique. I haven't played the JTM, but my understanding is that the DC has a bit more gain on tap, and is a little more touch sensitive, and responsive. Not that that JTM isn't touch sensitive, but the DC just more so. For all the talk about how the DC is like a Marshall, or specifically a Plexi, I found a good bit of Trainwreck in mine. Very quick playing.

This last bit is very much IMO and YMMV, but I think I really prefer the push/pull versions. Volume difference between 12 and 18 isn't that huge. If it were me, I'd just go for the 18. They've got great masters, and it's not like two EL84s get that loud...
Ok this is really helpful! So the DC will do some of the things that the JTM will do, and it will do more gain...and the JTM will do straight up JTM tones. Does the JTM have a boost switch standard or is this something I'd have to ask for? And I'm not sure what you mean by push/pull versions? Is this something the DC has that the JTM does not?

Onioner

And I'm not sure what you mean by push/pull versions? Is this something the DC has that the JTM does not?
Either can be push/pull or single ended, which means, in a grossly oversimplified way, one power tube or two. I like the sound and feel of the two power tubes (if they're EL84s, that's 18W) significantly better. But, that's highly arguable, and subject to taste.

gtone

You should likely go for the 18W. I have his older 14W version of the DaisyCutter and it keeps up with some drummers, but certainly not others (unless I slave another amp via the line out, which I often do). Besides that, a little more headroom is almost always a good thing.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again with the DC, I'd get Randy to put in a selectable rectifier to switch between the existing high speed SS rectifier and a tube rectifier. Onioner was right when he mentioned the DC is a "quick", responsive circuit with little discernable sag. There are times when I just want that vintage, juicy/spongy sag thang going on, however and it'd make the circuit that much more flexible and attractive to me.

You should likely go for the 18W. I have his older 14W version of the DaisyCutter and it keeps up with some drummers, but certainly not others (unless I slave another amp via the line out, which I often do). Besides that, a little more headroom is almost always a good thing.

Personally, if I had to do it all over again with the DC, I'd get Randy to put in a selectable rectifier to switch between the existing high speed SS rectifier and a tube rectifier. Onioner was right when he mentioned the DC is a "quick", responsive circuit with little discernable sag. There are times when I just want that vintage, juicy/spongy sag thang going on, however and it'd make the circuit that much more flexible and attractive to me.
So would the JTM have more of that vintage spongy sag thing then?

idlewilder

+1 for the jtm. Don't be afraid of the 18 watts. The mv works really well. I had a half power switch installed on mine as well

The DC is the king of versatility.

18 watts is not too loud.
Yeah I'm actually leaning more and more towards the DC for that reason - the versatility. I'm thinking a lower wattage model will suit me just fine...probably a 10 watt version - same as the 8 watt but with an upgraded output transformer. That will be more than loud enough for most of my applications...I'm not gigging...mostly tooling around at home. I also have and Egnater Tweaker that's more than loud enough for the band I jam with...from what I read, the 8 watt DC can hang with a drummer so if I wanted to use the 10 watt I'm sure it would suffice too for kicking around with buddies sometimes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom