1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Phaez owners thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jcat5503, May 19, 2011.

1. jcat5503

jcat5503 Supporting Member

Who here owns a Pheaz? Experiences, model, etc.. Cheers!

2. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

I have an 18W JTM-inspired build by Randy. SS rectified and EL84 power tubes. Footswitchable boost and a "Plexi" switch that changes the voicing to Superlead and beyond. It's a wonderful amp, I put some 60s Ameprex preamp tubes in there....delicious.

3. jcat5503

I have heard clips of his JTM 18. They are amazing!!

I don't understand why his amps get no love here..

Guess they don't cost enough :bonkhaha

4. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

Mine is top notch build quality, it really is everything I wanted in an amp. I went through a Super Champ XD, an Egnater Rebel 30, a Vox AC4TV, Vox AC15C1...none satisfied me like the JTM18 does.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I have an 8 watt Daisycutter, serial #001. It's a high gain beast but with the gain rolled off and the Body control dialed back it cleans up really nicely. I run it through a Z Best 2x12 cab and it sounds enormous. Really cool little amp, and the build quality is great.

:rockin

6. jcat5503

Yeah its incredible how he wires amps. Never seen anything like it

I bet it does sound huge! Probably loud as hell ha

7. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Oh yeah, when I got it I was thinking "it's 8 watts, how loud can it be?"

Answer? Pretty freakin' loud! ;)

8. gtone

gtone Member

DaisyCutter 14W head here (dual EL84's in P/P), bought about three years ago for $400. Can't say enough good things about this amp and about Randy - he definitely knows his stuff. Stands behind his stuff too - doesn't rest until you're satisfied!

9. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Bump for any more Phaez owners.... I know there are others out there. ;)

10. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Randy bilt me a custom circuit that was just awesome.

11. projam619

projam619 Member

I'd love to get feedback on the Phaez Corona, w/c I believe is Fender-based. Great price for a fendery hand-wired amp...

12. Onioner

Onioner Member

Count me as another phaez owner and phaez lover. Got an 8w daisycutter which is phenominal. Just finalizing an order for a Corona, from which I expect great things. I'll be sure to report once I get it, which'll probably be just over a month from now.

There is a clip of the bf channel of a dragonfly out there that sounds pretty fantastic. I'll see if I can find it.

Really though, I can't praise his stuff enough. I could talk about his work all day long, except i'm typing on a phone, so...

13. Onioner

Onioner Member

Just over midway down the page, there's a clip of the BF channel of a Rooster. It's not actually the Corona, but similar.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/100798-when-everyone-else-here-going-get-phaez-61.html

Fwiw, the Corona has been described to me as a BF Fender Twin sounding amp, w/ two 6v6, at about 25W.

Bear in mind that there are a bunch of Phaez amps that you can get a second channel of that Fender BF. Again, not the same, but, heck, a BF/Dragonfly was pretty darned tempting to me. In the end, I went after the simplicity of the Corona, but that's more a philosophical thing than anything else.

Edit: Oh, and the Corona is a phenomenal deal for a hand-wired Fender BF style amp. I believe they've gone up just a bit from what the website says (new site is in the works), but you're still lookin' at $500 for the chassis. Not bad at all.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  14. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Cool. I'm curious how many 8W Daisycutters there are out there, I'd guess not too many. It's got some some balls for being only 8 watts!

15. jcat5503

I read that one Corona owner preferred it over his vintage Fender in every way!! I can't wait to get me new custom amp. Randy is calling it the Prowler :)

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Daisycutter owner, 14 watter. Owned the Hot Cat/HRM as well, both great amps!

17. jcat5503

I've seen the video of those, SUPER KILLER!!

18. jcat5503

19. Buggaluggs

Buggaluggs Member

I have an 8W Daisycutter with BF channel. Single EL34 (or 6L6 or even 6V6).

Very good. Solid build quality and great sound. I just got a Hiwatt clone amp from Randy. Early days, but wonderful compressed sound with tons of headroom. 25W with 2x 6V6 (or 40W with 2x EL34s)

20. Rocknhorse1

Rocknhorse1 Member

I have an 18 watt JTM + Boost, as well as a Soldano SLO clone...just the overdrive channel, and a couple of mods to take it toward the crunch setting of the clean channel of the SLO, it also has the Warren Haynes mod. Put an oversized OT and PT, it will run 6V6 for 25 watts, and Kt66/6L6 for 35 watts. Tone is spot on. Named it the Asheville..after the birth place of Warren Haynes. I would recommend a look at Randy's amps.