Phantom Guitar: What Have I Got Here? (pics)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dave s, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dave s

dave s Member

This guitar was retrieved from the former guitarist in my hippie 60s band. I cleaned it up, put on some new strings, TRIED to intonate (bridge saddles are all the way forward already) adjusted pickups, etc.

The guitar sounds GREAT with the tone controls rolled nearly closed. Really 'spanky' sounding. Obvisously missing a knob which I can get. Vol/Tone pots and jack are kinda noisy.

So, what do I have here? Any guesses on age or anything else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

3. dave s

dave s Member

Dave:

thanks for the link. Odd thing is that the guitar's SN has been pounded into the fretboard just beyond the 22nd fret. The last 3-4 digits are legible, but not the first 2-3 because of the wear caused by the fat E and A wound strings. Definitely an 'odd spot' for a serial number!

I'll cruise the website and see if I can find the model and possible age of the guitar. I'm thinking '70s' possibly, and probably NOT very valuable!

dave

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

You have a guitar shaped like a pick.

5. dave s

dave s Member

Stop it! I'm trying to muster up enough nerve to actually PLAY this thing on a few song during gigs! :D The other guys in the band sees some sort of 'cool factor' with the guitar.

It's definitely passable from a playing perspective, but we'll have to see how it sounds with everything else.

dave

6. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

No, you are looking at it all wrong man........ he has a pick shaped like a guitar.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

Let me rephrase. You have a giant white pick for a guitar. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:)

It's kind of cool in it's own special way.

[​IMG]

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have played that guitar and I was very impressed. I also recently saw someone famous playing one.

9. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

This is a copy of the famed 1960's Vox Mark series of guitars, often called the teardrop.

In 1998 Vox reissued these guitars, but I think they are made overseas. The Phantom copies are made in USA.

I've played a few of these, and they are okay. Not as quirky and cool as the 60's originals, but still guaranteed to get some interesting comments.