Phantom Les Paul "icepick" fix...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ARch, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ARch

ARch Member

I posted a thread earlier this month asking about new pickups for my LP studio -- no regrets there, still looking forward to the pups I have on the way... however...

I was playing with the guitar a few nights ago and was getting the traditional icepick bridge pickup, when I noticed a new little hum. It sounded like I was getting a little interference, or a ground connection may have come unsoldered.

I popped open the main cavity, and one of the braided pickup wires had in fact lost its ground connection on the neck pickup volume pot. I spent a little time getting a solid connection back together, cleaned it up and went back to check for hum. This solved the hum problem, but at the same time... no icepick. The tone was actually pretty good and definitively different.

The point:
    This didn't make realistic sense to me since it was just a ground connection , and I'm very sure I didn't fat-finger another connection in or out of place. Then today, a coworker explained "since the tone control is a treble bleed that leaks off some of the highs through a resistor to the ground" a bad ground could prevent the highs from rolling off naturally.

Does this sound like it could actually be the cause, or is it more likely something else?

2. billstets

billstets Member

I don't get how the wire to the neck pickup affected the bridge.

3. billstets

billstets Member

Oh I think I see what you mean. The braided part soldered to the back of the pot. I don't know how it could affect the icepick.

4. ARch

ARch Member

Yes, we're talking about the actual outer braid solder joint to the back of the pot.

5. ARch

ARch Member

I'll just do it once -- bumpity for the night crowd