Phase 45 clone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GtrWiz, May 23, 2006.

1. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

there was a thread on this before the crash, but I don't remember the results...

Does anyone know of one?

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Why does MXR refuse to reissue this pedal? Its SOOOOO much cooler than the phase 90.

3. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

But only if it's true bypass.

4. MrSage

MrSage Member

Or get a DOD 201 phasor.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

not familiar with that one, is it similar?

6. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I had a 201. Sounded great. It's apparantly a clone of the 45, the 401 is a clone of the Phase 90. Not sure what the 490 is a clone of..

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

If you're handy with a soldering iron you may want to contact BYOC: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/phaser.html

I believe the 'fully loaded' kit has a script Phase 45 mode that is as close as you'll get in a new pedal. The base Script 90 pedal could probably be modded to 45 spec.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yep, it's the same circuit.

It's one of the older metal-box style DODs...back when the name wasn't synonymous with "suckage."

:AOK

9. MrSage

MrSage Member

Good point! it's probably an easy mod...probably just throw in a switch to go from "90" to "45" mode.

10. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

AFAIK no one clones the 45. I just went through an extensive search. You can find DIY circuit boards. As someone else pointed out, the DOD 201 is the same circuit. (Well, almost the same, but I'd be surprised if the differences were audible.) I lucked out when someone offered me a 45 that had been modded with TB switching and a power jack.

11. b_rad

b_rad Member

I wasn't planning on mentioning this just yet, but we've got a new Custom Shop pedal coming out in a couple of weeks or so if all goes well. It's a clone of the DOD 201, with the addition of true bypass switching. Should be really cool.

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

what's it going to be called, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

13. b_rad

b_rad Member

The name and graphics haven't been finalized. Email me your address and I'll shoot you a pic as soon as we have a mockup done.

14. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

15. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

A Phase 45 is a 2 stage phaser, Phase 90 is 4 stage. 45 sounds a lot like a Vibe without the volume wobble and the lfo shape is more triangle as opposed the vibes sine shape.

The DOD 201 is an EXCELLENT sounding phaser and can be modded for true bypass with the right switch. The oldest ones are gray with yellow lettering, then yellow with black and then blue with white.

The 490 was an odd beast as I believe it was a 3 stage phaser with speed and feedback...I had one and sounded a bit weird and I really like phasers. The 401 was also an excellent sounding phaser, especailly the early ones which were dark brown with more swirly lettering. Had one, let it go like an idiot but they do appear on Ebay now and again...

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Any chance your 45 clone has a "vibe" switch. There are mods that switch in caps that make the 45 even closer to an original vibe.

[​IMG]

17. STpedals

STpedals Member

The Phase 45 is a 2 stage phaser. The 90 is a 4 stage phaser.
    There are other differences in the circuit other than removing the two stages from a 90.
    We have built 45 clones for others, although it is not on the stigtronics site.
    If interested in a 45, you can contact us at mstig79@yahoo.com

18. cheesey

cheesey Member

i have a script logo 45 in the mail , sold my magicboy , couldnt afford a script 90.

19. Rossl

Rossl Member

Does the 45 sound that much better?

I have a modded reissue 90 that I really like. I remember when these things first came out but I don't remember how they sounded (LOL).

20. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

If you want a Phase 45 with true bypass, then the Tone Factor Nebula is for you.