1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Phase 90 block logo vs evh phase 90, question..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sessionfan10, May 24, 2011.

1. sessionfan10

sessionfan10 Member

Hi, iam trying to save some money here and i was wondering if the evh phase 90 was really anything different than the newer phase 90 for just getting a cool evh style tone? Will the block logo phase 90 do the job? thanks!

2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The EVH version toggles between a modern style phase 90 and a script style 90.

4. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

Get the regular phase 90 and don't look back.

5. sessionfan10

sessionfan10 Member

thanks! ill get the regular one... thats what i was thinking..

6. monty

monty Member

I find the script mode closer to EVH's sound myself. Demo them if you can.

7. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Or buy the standard phase90 and do the 'script' mods...

8. GeorgiaGuitars

GeorgiaGuitars Member

I bought one of the Custom Shop Script ones and opened it up.....it has EVH written on the board.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

I compared the two and they sounded the same to me. With the script button in on the EVH, it just sounded quieter. With the block logo and the so called script mod where I clipped a few resistors, I only noticed some of the distortion on the effect went away, subtle though. In a band setting I found the modern mode of the EVH to vut better just like a standard phase 90. Save and get the block logo and you can always do the simple script mod. Is that what ya did?
    With the EVH, you pay for the name and the toggle which does little except help the effect dissapear in the mix. The Small Stone Nano is good too!

10. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

I'm obviously in the minority here but I like the evh phaser at used prices.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

The EVH is nice but still about $75 used. A block logo is like $35 or $40 and then just do the script mod. :)

12. Danjel

Danjel Member

I have both the Block Phase 90 and the EVH Phase 90, and I must say that I enjoy the Block Phase 90 more. I have the R28 mod on it, but I liked it more even before that was altered. The reason is that the EVH sucks mid right out of your tone. Subtile as it might be, it makes a big difference in a band situation. At least for me. If there was a mod to add a tad mid for the EVH, I would do it.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

I find them both great to be honest!
    The P90 with R28 mod or not while a little more harsh on its own playing alone than the EVH phase90, in a band mix that is all lost anyway.....the block logo 90 is great with a band. I thnk the mids can be too much on clean passages though. I would love the EVH more if the block logo setting was true block logo with the mids and the script switch was as is witht he scooped mids for clean stuff.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  14. papersoul

papersoul Member

Just picked up a new EVH today.