phase 90 mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jet Rink, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Anybody have info on a supposed mxr Phase 90 mod? I was talking with a cat that said you can make a couple of internal clips that can dramatically improve the depth and sweep. Got a re-ish super cheap and feel like I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks!

Jet

2. meterman

meterman Member

the only one I know of is the "R28 script mod" which is a good one to do. It cuts way down on the harsh input clipping/distortion and also on the (to me) unpleasant midrange regeneration. I much preferred mine after the mod....I have detailed info at home I can email to you, but basically all you are doing is removing the R28 resistor, simple as that....

However, if anything it makes the pedal more subtle and less obtrusive, more 'natural' sounding. Sounds like you want to go the other way with it?

3. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

R28 - that sounds right - and yes, if you've got into, let me/us know. Thanks.

Not sure though about the last part of your message. I'm actually hoping for a bit "more" swirl. This pedal is actually a bit "quiet" for my taste.

Jet

4. meterman

meterman Member

Well the R28 "script" mod definitely makes the pedal more subtle, but also much more musical and pleasing to my ear. There is also a small trim pot on the backside of the circuit board, covered with a blob of silicon glue. Take the bottom off the pedal and try adjusting that little trimpot, it adjusts the depth of the sweep and the intensity of the effect. Most of the goods are in the middle of the pot sweep....

5. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

I'll do that.

Now, re: the R28 mod - do you just clip it out? No re-solder or re-connect?

Jet

6. meterman

meterman Member

Well I unsoldered it from the board since I didn't know if I was going to keep it, after I heard it I knew I preferred it. Just carefully take the pedal apart, find the right resistor, and unsolder and remove it. If I remember correctly if you are looking at the board component side up, R28 is slightly down and to the left from the speed pot, and is oriented horizontally....the numbers are printed on the PCB but it's hard to see them with the component in place.

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've had this pic kickkin' around a while, if it helps:

[​IMG]

8. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

So what's the deal with the other two? That is so great.

Jet

:BEER

9. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

And what's the deal with all you Hotlanta guys weighing in?? You guys must know something the rest of us don't!

Jet

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I don't know. I just found the picture somewhere about a year ago, and thought it might be good to hang onto for a while. I've never seen a reference to a C11 or C12 mod anywhere.

11. meterman

meterman Member

We's not as dumm down hear as sum peeple mite think we is

;)

12. meterman

meterman Member

13. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Coca-Cola, Georgia's restaurant, Orange amps and some fine lookin' wimmin!

You's okey by me!

Thanks for the link.

Jet

14. reverber8

reverber8 Member

I have a MXR Dunlop reissue Phase 90 and I've done the R28 mod. The mod was very easy and I just clipped the resistor out. The mod helped but there still is that unpleasent distortion in part of the sweep that sounds bad on clean settings.

I haven't been using my Phase 90 much lately and as such will retire it from my pedalboard when the postman brings my Sweetsound MoFaux vibe later this week. I'm looking forward to a different color of swirl in a similar size package.

15. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

There are actually a LOT of other mods that I have a photo with info but I cannot post attachments! :BITCH

Anyone want to tell me how as this photo shows a LOT of mods for this board!

16. meterman

meterman Member

Send it to me, I'll host it and post a link

pauldig at comcast dot net

17. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

C11 and C12 conrols the output level I beleive. Removing them essentially gives the pedal unity gain. I clipped all three on my Phase 90 and loved the results. Playing with the trim pot to find the sweet spot helps as well.

18. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

R28 mod was already done when I got mine, but c11 and c12 mods really dialed in the right vibe for me (plus an hour of tweaking the trim pot in 1 degree increments...) ;)

19. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Thanks for the head's up on the other mods Ted. And regarding the hour I'll burn with the trim pot...!

Jet

20. warioblast

warioblast Member

I'd be interested in the univibe and phase 45 mods...