1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Phase 90 sound out of a Phase 100?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jappy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jappy

jappy Member

Hi all,

I've never actually heard a Phase 90 in the flesh... was wondering just out of interest if any of the settings on a Phase 100 were close to a Phase 90?

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I've been trying to parse the glyphs on the front of the Phase 100 for years...
    But I generally think of it this way:
    (from left to right, the 4 position switch)
    1. "Shattered"
    2. "Barracuda"
    3. "Shine on You Crazy Diamond"
    4. "Aint Talkin' Bout Love"
    These are obviously references to classic rock songs, and may be in the ballpark mostly. I find the rightmost setting to be the most "chewey" and "vocal" but it is more "swishy" than the others.
    1 and 3 are more subtle, and I use them the most. 2 and 4 are more flanger-like.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

IMHO, the Phase 100 does NOT give you the block-logo Phase 90 sound at all, and I have at least one guitarist friend who agrees.

4. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

They do sound different as the materials used to control each phasing stage is different - I have very old script Phase 90 and an almost as old script Phase 100 for comparision: the Phase 90 uses field effect transistors (FETs) while the Phase 100 uses opamps with variable resistors (TL072s in this unit, I think). That said, they can sound quite close to each other.
    cheers!

5. sandman

sandman Member

Keef used Phase 100 on that song. I remember an article that said he used a rehoused rack sized Phase 90 on Voodoo Lounge tour but they could've been mistaking it for Phase 100.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I had the vintage 45, 90, and 100. Each does it's own thing and can't duplicate each other...close, but not quite.

I posted a clip of all three, comparing them...you'll have to search the clips section for it.

7. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I have a vintage Phase 100 in my rig and find it far more versatile than the Phase 90 .. As for sound comparisons .. I can get any sound that a 90 can do on my 100 and more !! ...

8. sandman

sandman Member

How does Dunlop Phase 100 RI compare to original?

9. cubba65

cubba65 Member

The 3rd click on the Phase100 is the most like an Phase90 to me, tho' I say guruyan is right, all three MXR phasers do their own thing.

No one talks about it much, but the Phase100 does an awesome Leslie sim!

I bought a mint block logo from a friend just to check out, with intent on selling it down the road after I got ot play with it a bit.
    But I just don't know if I can do that, it's really grown on me.

Shoulda never plugged it in ... lol.

10. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

Yep, I love my block logo Phase 100, I've been using it for years and I've tried some of the boutique phasers and I keep coming back to the 100.

If anybody has the technology, It would be interesting to hear some clips of the differences between a script 100 and a block one....