Phase inverter - most important tube in your amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by myles111, Jan 20, 2006.

1. myles111

myles111 Member

2. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

Are we talking about a "concertina" or differential pair phase splitter here? Because I thought the concertina circuit carried no gain and therefore would not effect the tone unlike the differential pair layout which would effect tone.

These are just things I have heard, no tube knowledge at all beyond knowing how to plug the tubes into the amp.

3. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

Think you posted in the wrong section?

4. myles111

myles111 Member

Guess I did but then again Scott may have moved it as he does most of my posts :)

I suppose no matter what I say he finds a way to look at it as an advertisment or something.

5. mmorse

mmorse Member

The conventional wisdom has always been the PI tube had the least affect on tone. I've done alot of experimenting with pre tubes and I've found the PI tube can have a great affect on the tone. I found this to be true in my Marshall heads, my little Fender Super Champ and even my low watt plexi clone. I thought maybe it was just me. For instance, I think my 2204 sounds best with a 5751 in V3. I tried an AT7 but thought that stripped out too much gain. Nice to see an article that actually explains what I've been hearing.

I've tried all kinds of old preamp tubes (all the usual suspects) and have found the differences to be very subtle at best. I can achieve a much more profound change in tone by changing speakers and/or speaker cabinets than I ever could messing with tubes, pre or power.

6. IcedEarth

IcedEarth Member

It is...

You work for GT, no? You ultimately end up recommending them, no?
    Looks like Spam to me...

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

:D

Education and Spam go together well.

:D

8. myles111

myles111 Member

I think you have not seen how many folks I recommend and that the majority is far from being GT for many things. Maybe check with Mike at KCA NOS or many of the amp folks that are around.

Perhaps you will continue to jump on the bandwagon that is very typical in this forum rather than take the time to talk to a few people outside of those that have thousands of posts of complaining.

Ultimately recommend them? I recommend what I feel is best .... as my own website shows (which has less GT content than many many many other things).

I was just trying to help folks here with food for thought. The bottom line is that they could try some of these things for themselves and make up their own mind. It is a shame that a resource such as these forums can turn into a bunch of bashing so quickly and easily.

9. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Myles is never trying to spam GT Tubes on this site,he gives everyone a good Bump on there products,He is a Cool Cat.:p

10. Curt

Curt Member

Wrong. I've written and called Myles countless times. Each time he has suggested MANY tubes other than Groove Tubes. I like his information. I read his information and I appreciate his knowledge.
    Spam? There are a lot of builders that use this site to plug their amps, hardware, STRINGS, effects, etc. That's not what I see Myles doing.
    Doesn't look like spam to me.........

11. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    +1

:cool:

12. myles111

myles111 Member

I hope that debate is over .... now all I do is plug one into a person's amp and let them make the call themself on whether they want to leave it in or not :)

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I only see it that way when it is that way Myles.

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

You've been called out a few times over at HC. In particular, I called you out for recommending an amp you've never heard or even seen in person. lol...

15. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Let me see if I have this straight. The higher millimaps of the 12at7 will give more gring to the tone than the higher gain 12ax7 in the PI?
    I use Mullard military spec 12at7's (4024's?) currently in the PI.
    Let me know if I understand this right.
    :confused:
    Thanks.

16. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

How about you save this kind of stupidity and bantering for Harmony Central.

I am really getting sick of some of the "attitude" that new forumites are dragging in here and letting fester.
    M.E.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

Scott,

Just curious .... so I can maybe figure this out ....

So "what way" was the part where you had an issue ... thought it was self promotion ... or thought it was spam?

How was this not of straight benefit to the amp community and the end users? I would find it hard to find any post in there where some name of some amp were not mentioned somewhere.

18. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

What is it with this style of posteuring..........

Again, this HC type of thinkspace is so, so ghetto.

Let's all jump on the bandwagon and rip on somebody when we think we know something that others don't......

I don't even know Myles. He may spam from time to time like SO many other manufacturers do. But hey, when these cat's deliver, be it equipment info or insight, I read. Thank you guys for being around.
    Where else could I have conversations with some pretty brilliant/whacked minds???
    I do know that I have learned much more from him in one thread than either of these two "folks who have "exposed" Myles for what he REALLY is" [insert "Muahaaahaaahhhaaa" here] have ever posted at this site. Ever.

Can anyone tell that I am pretty sick of the attitude as of late from some of the new blood?

Watching people argue/sucker-punch with words is not why I visit this site, I can tell you that.

M.E.

19. hasserl

hasserl Member

+1

Well put Michael.

20. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

What's going on with this post??? I thought we were talking about tubes here, and now there are two legitimate questions that everyone seems to be passing by, even the "tube experts" that started the post.

1st good question is the PI circuit. One popular concertina circuit has no effect on tone when the PI is changed, the other is the differential pair circuit, which does. Can anyone comment on this? So if the PI has an effect on everybody's amp are all the amp manufacturers using the diff. pair circuit?

2nd question is the one posted above from roodboy, which is a great point and confused me when I read it too. Can anyone clarify this statement?