Phase pedals that don't add "crunch" to your clean channel?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BlackwaterPark4, Feb 15, 2015.

1. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

Hey all,

Currently I have an MXR Phase 90 from Analogman and it's a great phase pedal for crunch/distortion but when I want a nice smooth phase on my clean channel it sounds pretty awful because it adds a sort of crunch or distortion-like sound to the clean that I'm not looking for. I want a phase sound that's nice and vibrant, yet smooth, and doesn't add any of that crunch to my clean channel. Any suggestions?

2. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

My first question would be what type of pickups are you using? It's sounds as though you are overdriving the phase circuit causing it to clip. I've had this issue with a few of my phaser because I tend to like medium to hot pups. Oh and Opeth rules!

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Phase 45 or DOD Phasor 201.

4. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Had the same issue with the EVH i had. Such a good sounding phaser but I had to strum very gently or roll down volune for it not to overdrive my clean sound.
    LP with burstbuckers so by the way...

Now I have my second Boss PH1r and it works great!! No added clipping.

5. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

6. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Yup, Boss Ph-1r is the answer. Glued to my board.

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

i use a beat up old melos mini faser - made by shine and rebadged under 3/4 names including sola - very basic pedal but delivers the tone.

8. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I've got a similar problem with the Grand Orbiter. It adds a trebble booster kind of effect. The whole signal is boosted, but particuarlly the highs.

9. theroan

theroan Member

I've always loved the Small Stone for that reason. Very smooth, slow moving phase.

10. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Whirlwind Orange Box

11. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine replaced my Mxr Script 90 after experiencing the same issue as yourself, it's just the nature of FET based phasers i believe.

The Skreddy is fantastic, a tiny bit more univibe than the MXR but beautifully balanced, lush and liquid.

Other good ones that don't clip are the EH Small Stone, MXR Phase 100, Mutron Phasor 2.

12. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Not sure what the Analogman mod does. However, if it's the MXR M-101 Phase 90, the R28 modification greatly reduces the distortion. Easy to do and it really sounds great. So simple even I could do it. Easy to find with a Google search for "Phase 90 R28 Mod".

And it costs $0.00.

If you want the phase dirtied up, just kick in your favorite dirt pedal.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  13. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

The Little Miss Sunshine looks really intriguing. Also considering the BOSS recommendations in this thread. To answer the first response, I am using pretty hot pickups so I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't helping matters but still, I want a phaser that can handle the hot pickups and still not distort on my clean channel if possible.

14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Maybe try adjusting your pedal order, we have sold hundreds of these and I use one, and have not heard of a distortion issue.

You can also try running it at 12V, that usually helps.

Good luck!

15. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

The Phase 90 and its clones and children use JFETs as the variable element in the all-pass filter network. It's these JFETs that add the Phase 90's characteristic crunch and harmonics. Depending on the model / year / etc. of the Phase 90, it may have more or less crunch.

The cleanest phasers tend to be the optical variety (Mu-Tron, Phase 100, Chase Bliss Wombtone, etc) followed by OTA phasers like the Small Stone and Maestro Stage Phaser. OTA (short for operational transconductance amplifier) phasers have their own unique sound, but are generally cleaner sounding than JFET phasers.

I'm looking forward to the Bad Stone reissue from EHX, myself. Some of the original Bad Stones used a CMOS logic IC as the variable elements in the filters and those sound very cool. There is a Bad Stone schematic lurking out in the wild using JFETS, so it'll be interesting to see which one EHX reissues.

16. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

Hey everyone, I recorded a really quick demo of what I'm talking about. I first recorded the riff with just my clean signal and then with the Phaser on. Now is this the normal type of crunch other people are talking about?

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-boehm/phaser-demo-1

By the way Mike, thanks for responding! I moved it around my chain, plugged it in as the only pedal in my chain, tried it in the FX loop, etc. and this is still the same sound I'm getting.

17. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Intersecting. I always thought the MXR Phase 100 was JFET along with the MXR Phase 90/45.

Does anybody know off hand what the Maxon PH-350 Rotary Phaser is?

18. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

thanks for the clip!

the BIAS may be off, it's set by the factory (we don't normally mess with it). Mark where the trimpot is now, and try adjusting it a bit for the sound you like with the least of that crunchy sound. Good luck!!!

19. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

I had the same issue with my DOD Phasor 201. I was wondering if Keeley Phase 24 would handle this better. Anyway, I think I´ll wait for the Bad Stone Reissue or The TC Helix

20. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

Hey man, just wanted to say I bought a Little Miss Sunshine based on your recommendation and it is absolutely KILLER! There is 0 clipping like you said and, actually, it's the beefiest sounding phaser I've ever used which I love. Thanks for the recommendation..this was perfect!