1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

phase/trem/vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cheesey, Jan 25, 2006.

1. cheesey

cheesey Member

i am looking for something to get some gilmourish vibe(dsotm) ,
    i dont really want all 3 .
    i am interested in rw moon phaser/ megavibe/demeter trem/script phase 90.
    i once owned an mjm sixties vibe , kinda miss it , had a volume drop .
    anyone using any of these pedals , and which one do you recommend to kill 3 birds with one stoned:p

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Line 6 MM4 has a bunch of modulation effects in it including phase, vibe and trem. Phase and trem are decent, but the vibe is useless. I use a Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo Chorus (the $139 model) for vibe sounds and it works very well. That'll deliver the Pink Floyd vibe sounds you seek.

3. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I have the redwitch, and it does a nice vibe. In fact, I sold my lovepedal because the redwitch could do what it does and more. I don't know if it covers Floyd though. I use the redwitch as a phase most of the time, but I keep finding cool new sounds in it.

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

Not to be a smartass, but since DSOM predates phasers and chorus pedals, why not just get a Vibe, which is what was used?

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Phase shifters came out in the early 70s. Chorus was later, but he didn't ask about chorus. Trem, which he also asked about, predates DSOM by quite a bit, and is used on Money.

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

You're absolutely right he didn't ask about chorus, my mind must have wandered. And the trem is defnitely briefly on Money, although I don't think of that as being a major part of the tone of that record. As an aside, I personally think those pedals are one trick ponies that if you don't use that trick alot, are just wasting space on your pedalboard.
    It's the vibe Gilmour used quite a bit on that album that makes me think of DSOM. Man I can hear it right now, what a great sound. Didn't actually believe that's what it was until I got a good vibe myself and then said, oh, yeah, that's what it is. Of course one thing you have to keep in mind with Gilmour is how much work he and other technicians did in the studio to get the sounds they got. Many have accused Floyd of being the biggest cheaters in rock history. Gilmour admits they often sped up the tape of his vocals when he couldn't hit the right notes (which I think is common practice in modern pop music).
    I was surprised, after reading a lot of the history of Vintage pedals, what was and wasn't available on my favorite records. For example, I had been told for years that Gilmour used an Electro Harmonix (original) Electric Mistress all over WYWH, especially on "Have a Cigar", which was the tone I was trying to get. It took me a long time to find one but after I finally got an original Mistress, and plugged my strat into it and played that song ALONG WITH THE RECORD, I was certain that I had the exact tone.
    It wasn't til a couple years later that someone pointed out to me that the Electric Mistress wasn't built for almost two years after WYWH was RELEASED, much less recorded. I was equally shocked to learn that there was no phaser on DSOM, some of those passages just seem so phasery. At one point I used to think Jimi had used phasers because of all the watery tones he had, then I read like a ten page interview with his producer on all the insane lengths they went to to get those sounds in the pre-phaser era.
    The trick of course, as many pedal-builders have said, is that the Uni-vibe circuit was essentially a pre-phaser era phaser, which is why phasers can be so great at emulating Uni-vibe sounds.
    So to get back to the original question, if I were you I would put the best phaser you can find, next to the best Uni-vibe clone you can find and see which one is closer to the sound you're trying to get. Then buy the best of that circuit that is available, and there is all kinda advice around about that.

I know this is gettting long, but I thought I'd add this aside: I read the 1975 Rolling Stone Review of Wish You Were Here, which basically said that Pink Floyd was a group of merely competent musicians that had wasted a lot of people's time on records like Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma, that Dark Side of the Moon was highly overrated, and that Wish You Were Here exposed them as merely adequate musicians who used a lot of studio tricks to create the illusion of something greater than it was. Today I saw the 2000 Rolling Stone Review of Wish You Were Here (remastered), and they gave it 5/5 stars. Go figure.

7. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

IMO, the Love Pedal Magic Vibe nails DSOTM vibe. I have owned this, the Red Witch, and the MoFaux but this one is the only one that does it. New ones don't have any volume drop and there is an internal trim that makes a huge difference in the sound you get so you need to dial it in.

8. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Sounds like you are looking mostly for Vibe and Tremolo...not really phaser as others have mentioned. If true don't get the new MXR Scipt Phase 90...it is a phaser. Mo-Faux and Magicboy are the best low cost "vibe-like" pedals but neither does tremolo (there is some vol mod but not real tremolo).

I did some tests with some synths into the Moon and the first (3) settings are 4-Stage phasers (MXR Phase 90) and the last (3) settings are 2-Stage phasers which have that Univive sound. Did not find the Phase+Termolo settings to offer that deep of a tremolo but they did offer SOME vol mod.

Think Moon might be a good choice, or the Mo-Faux/Magicboy and a separate Trem of which there are many.

9. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

I've read the original RS review of DSOTM.

It is not a good review.

10. meterman

meterman Member

Can you elaborate on this? I've got a RWMP and like it alot but have always wondered about the different switch positions. So, can you clarify what you mean, considering the mode switch at full CCW as #1? It was my understanding that position one is a tremolo, #2 is a phase+trem setting, and then #3-#6 were different phaser voicings (at least that is how mine is set up). FWIW on mine positions 3 & 4 sounds most like a Phase90 to me, while 5 & 6 are more watery sounding....I agree the trem is not great but it works...

Thanks

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I am getting a Deluxe Moon Phaser... I don't really need it to get anywhere Leslie-ish because I have a Leslie cabinet, but I want the phase/trem/vibe sounds and stereo outputs...

12. Jumblefingers

I am a synth guy from the year zero and phasers are one of my favorites. So I ran some analog white noise and other full bandwith signals into the box to better suss out what each setting was doing...

Starting at setting 1 (full couter clockwise) this is what my ear told me...
    - Setting 1 = 4 Stage phase with most feedback, almost Phase 100 like.
    - Setting 2 & 3 = 4 Stage phaser with different feedback with #3 sounding closest to a Phase 90.
    - Setting 4 & 5 sounded like 2-Stage Phaser (MXR Phase 45/DOD 201) and gave the "vibe" kind of sound with slightly different "bias/center" frequencies (one had a bit more volume modulation if I remember)
    - Setting 6 only sounded good with the Depht full on and then there was minimal phase shift but "some" tremolo/volume mod but nothing like a real tremolo.

Most Univibes and clones introduce some volume mod/pumping and that can amount to a kind of tremolo effect but pure tremolo is amplitude modulation and the Moon to my ear did not do that on any setting.

All that said it is a GREAT sounding and very versatile pedal and as many have said one of the creamiest sounding phasers around. Does not muck with the original guitar tone and is very high quality/hi-fi, no distortion. Amazing build quality inside.

I found myself using setting #3 the most so I sold it an got the new MXR Script 90 which is a sound that I grew up on and love the most...just my preference. Moon is an excellent device and cannot recommend it enough.

13. maracox

maracox Member

I totally agree with Your observations, Jumblefingers. It's like I perceive my Moon Phaser, too: 3x 4-stage, 2x 2-stage and kind of a tremolo setting.

According to the builder, Ben Fulton, there are 4 phaser types, 1 tremophase and 1 tremolo position in the stompbox.

So where's the Tremophase? :NUTS

14. meterman

meterman Member

Thanks Jumblefingers. Interesting, if you are starting at full CCW it sounds like yours is the reverse of mine...mine from full CCW is tremolo (pretty weak effect, sounds best with Trajectory around 12:00), "Tremophase" which is fairly Univibish, and then four flavors of phasing. On mine the full CW position ("#6") is the 'densest' most complex phasing, while #4 sounds most like a Phase90 to me.

Anyway, I agree it's a great sounding box, very clear, clean, hi-fi and with alot of depth compared to others I've tried...

15. jeak

jeak Member

16. cheesey

cheesey Member

17. msp

msp Member

two to consider

tap-a-whirl
    retrosonic ce-1 clone

18. eknapier

eknapier Member

Find a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, does light->heavy MXR style phasing, killer univibe and tremolo, in addition to true vibrato, all in one box. I found one here on the gear forum for $250, best deal I've ever made.

19. Jumblefingers

Agreed and I'm not surprised. Red Witch seem kind of bent on obscure things with their pedals. Like I have NO idea why they would make the Rate knob go in reverse to the rest of the world....just seems kind of silly. I was going to reverse the wiring but decided not to bother. But for SURE the settings on the one I had were as decribed. Also makes it hard to discuss on Forums and give others decent advice as well. Maybe it adds to the "mystique"! :rolleyes:

20. maracox

maracox Member

I read somewhere that the newer Moon phasers have just a reversed order on the cosmology. I think Jumblefingers and I have one of the newer ones.
    :jo