Phase, Univibe or another modulation pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 25, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

For a 90s band, alternative and grunge plus classic rock and modern, trying to find a modulation pedal.

I am not sure about phase since I used to use MXR phasers when I did more EVH, Lynch and heavier styles.
    Now I am leaning toward univibe or some form of modulated enhancement. Things like subtle haunting modulated tones or solos with that vibe or wah like tone you hear guys like Jerry Cantrell and Mike Mccready get on some solos.
    I don't like exaggerated mod tones in front of gain, I want more practical and even subtle at times.

Looking at the MXR Univibe, Bearfoot FX Mint Green Vibe, Earthquaker Devices The Depths, VFE Tractor Beam and Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter v2.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    I can't comment on or compare with the others, but I am quite fond of my BearFoot MGMV. Throbby or choppy, deep or subtle, lots to mess with. I have the slow version.

3. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

The Bearfoot MGMV is awesome...it can cover a lot of ground...anything from Phase, Univibe, Trem, ect...super cool pedal...I use one on my smallest board as my only modulation pedal...works great...

4. Crowyote

Crowyote Member

If you are planning to buy more than one modulation pedal, just pool your money and see if you can find a Used Moog Cluster Flux. It can do nearly any sound you need for 80-90's style modulation.

KnowTalent likes this.
  5. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

In addition to the Moog Cluster Flux I'd recommend demoing an Empress Nebulus! Very high quality and tweakable multifx pedal.

If you have want just UniVibe, give the LovePedal Vibronaut a whirl.

6. minty901

minty901 Member

Forget your haunting mids, OP wants haunting mods. That's new.

meowmers likes this.
  7. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

wah pedal, tremolo, delay with modulation

8. Slevin

Slevin Member

The diamond phase does phase and vibe great.

9. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

The Bearfoot MGMV is fantastic. Although it tends to be subtle it can do more extreme kind of vibe tones, and it colors your tone slightly but beautifully. I had an EQD The Depths before it and it sounded good but not as good as the Mini Vibe, plus it had too many knobs for my liking. It had a broader range than the Mini vibe, but I did not like too much the way it colored my tone. Sounded less natural somehow.

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Chase Bliss Wombtone seems to do everything...

11. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

Grand Orbiter by EQD is not everyones Phaseshifter. Seems like it sits on top of the sound instead of get mixed up with the guitarsignal as some people expect. Everything else is more in the faux vibe ballpark. I would check out the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe for a simple but good sounding Uni Vibe emulation. Or go with the EQD Depths for that kind of sound. VFE seems an intressting phase pedal...

12. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

^ +1 The Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe is a sweet box at a sweet price.

13. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Seems Like an H9 Max would cover all this ground....and more? :D

14. jordane93

jordane93 Member

How about a Phase 45

mike_engel likes this.
  15. papersoul

papersoul Member

I really don't want a multi effects unit. Been through that stage of life. I prefer as simple as possible, set and go.

The Bearfoot MV sounds great, but I can hear getting the same tones with the ED The Depths or even an MXR pedal I checked out. It all comes down to setting things subtlely.

The new Lovepedal V is good but I prefer the Depths or even the MXR Univibe.

I have to admit, I love what I hear of the B FX Mini, but it does cot a lot for as little as I may use it. Maybe I just grab a MXR Univibe which I love aqnd a P90 and call it a day!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  16. mike_engel

mike_engel Member

oh yeah love the mxr 45, reissue for $100, you can roll the speed up and down with your foot. Put it before dirt get a Leslie sound, I've never thought I'd say this but I love it more than tremolo! I call it the "underwater" sound, thick and filling!

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

This is almost redundant. I have both the MXR univibe and a stock Phase 90 (different rigs). The MXR univibe is a phaser based vibe (as compared to photocell) so in a mix, it can accomplish the work of both. There is also a simple mod for the Phase 90 (replace 2 caps) to get into univibe territory with it. So you could use one or the other to tackle the task in a minimal (and budget friendly) way. No one will mistake you for absolutely nailing Machine Gun, but you wouldn't be hesitant to cover it.

I would be willing to sell one of the MXRs to you if you want to PM me.

18. Zacateca

Zacateca Member

Believe me, I had both The Depths and the MGMV at the same time and there is something about the tone that you cannot get with The Depths. In fact that is the main reason why the Mini Vibe kicked out The Depths from my board

19. e???

e??? Member

I had the mxr univibe. Cool with fender single coils, not to great with p90's though, which is what I'm using these days, so back it went.

But you should get an h20 for what you're talking about. Early version visual sounds h20, best chorus I think. Then you also get an echo thrown in for free. Bubbly and mystical and kinda light chorus

20. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I'd get something that can do the Boss CH-1 Chorus sound, and an EHX Small Stone