Phaser for new soundscapes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Volk, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Volk

Volk Member

I really loved the EHX Small Stone, now I would like to find a phaser that is able to replicate exactly THAT tone, but that would also allow me to explorate new soundscapes and to find new textures.

2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

phasers are tough tough tough.. I have been trying like crazy to find "the" phaser. The small stone has the sweep I like but compresses the tone some.. it also has a volume drop I hate..never win.

You might want to try the subdecay baby quasar, the Enterprise or the Ibanez pt-9. All of those are on my radar due to having the natural climb and desend for the sweep unlike many others.

I will also say, just like the right guitar with right amp, make a sound with a particular dirt pedal, but change one of those items and now its lost the magic... Its the same with a phaser..one that sounds great with this amp and this guitar dont sound like that with that amp and that guitar.

A phase 100 might have enough controls and knobies for you to be happy but the sweep is not the same as the small stone. Another that kinda has the right sweep and does a lot more is the option 5 phaser. Its good, I only dislike the strong volume boost it has. The Flying pan 777 is a nice standard phaser, nothing special...but hook it up in stereo and hubba hubba. the panning effect with that particular phaser and really do some cool stuff.

3. shanetram

shanetram Supporting Member

Blackout whetstone is based on the small stone and covers a lot of ground. VERY flexible.

4. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

This hat you want. The EQD Grand Orbiter seems to cop a similar vibe too

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

the whetstone's a tricked out small stone, so that sounds like it's your ticket. if you don't want THAT many options though, shoot for a homebrew electronics psilocybe - also a tweaked small stone, but not to the extent that the whetstone is. i have the psilocybe after a long search and going through many phasers, and it's here to stay. i just wish it was in a smaller enclosure though.

6. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

The Enterprise is great. I sold my Psilocybe to get one. I found I never could get it straight as to what the two mini-toggles did on the Psilocybe. But i am easily confused, apparently.

And the sparkly orange paint job on the VFE Enterprise is really cool looking!

7. Tsathoggua

Tsathoggua Member

My advice would be for you to try all of the above, while getting on the list for the Toneczar Halophaze. LONG wait, but GREAT sound.

You may also want to try the 4MS Phaseur Moire CV : I have a custom one and the possibilities are incredible.

8. Farbulous

Farbulous Member

VFE Enterprise or Whetstone for sure.

9. FLStratcat

FLStratcat Member

Whetstone or Nebula IV Phaser from Mojohand :aok

10. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

One that doesn't get mentioned enough is the ADA Final Phase, now RI'd and readily available. Inspiring, and has an overdrive footswitch. Howz that for different. It's got a square-wave step thing you can add, also.

As cool as the ADA Flanger.