Phaser inquiry: Psilocybe, Retro-Sonic, BYOC...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gkelm, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have an old Boss boss PH-1r and a Red Witch Deluxe, but pondering something old school MRX type...comparison experience with the HBE, Retro, BYOC, or others?
    Thanks.
    Greg

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

From what I understand the PH1-r is a MXR Phase 90 with more knobs. :D

3. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I just picked up a Shannon Phaser that I really dig so far. They aren't made any more, but they do periodically come up for sale in the emporium. That's where I got mine.

4. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

[FONT=&quot]I recommend getting the Retro Sonic. It does the Gilmore sounds very well. :)
    [/FONT]

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yeah, I've heard really good things about that one, too, as well as the HBE Psilocybe. Wish I could comment from personal experience about that, but I haven't heard them in person.

6. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

How are you liking the Deluxe Moon Phaser? I really like mine.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I really like the SIB Mr. Fazeadelic I picked up recently. It is dead quiet, even with high gain like the BJF DRD or even run into my Mojo Vibe. NO hiss or swilrly noise like a few other phasers I have had. Nice smooth phase. It works well in front of od's too and doesn't get lost in the mix. Also has a second switch to toggle between two separate speeds.

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

Can't say it enough- Psilocybe. You'll get your MXR sounds and a whole lot more. See recent threads regarding this great pedal (and great deal).

10. harritone

harritone Supporting Member

Had a Psilo, loved it, lush as hell, its the volume drop that sucks tho...

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I really like a good phaser effect, but my boss ph-3 SUCKS...I want to go from subtle to extreme, the ph-3 is muddy, volume loss, and doesnt do subtle well

I have been looking at the EH small stone (i think the small stone is phaser, small clone is chorus, not sure LOL) but everyone is out of em around here...

12. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

I A/B'd my PH-1R with my three-knob BYOC Phaser; almost identical, but the BYOC sounded better, if anything.

13. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The RS is a GREAT Phase 90 phaser.
    The added controls really open up the possibilities.
    I like the volume knob too.

I tried the HBE in a store, with a nice amp and a nice guitar, it took about 2 minutes for me to unplug it. Just didn't bond with it. It was too thick, IMO, and went into crazy sounds too quickly. The toggles popped LOUDLY when I switched them, too.
    Maybe it was user-error, but I couldn't find a "normal" phase tone out of it.

A buddy has the handwired '74 MXR and it is KILLER. Great tone, lots of tones, just sounds great. He got it with AC Tap and LED from AnalogMike and it was like $175. Same price as the Retro- and while we didn't have them side by side, I really thought the MXR sounded better. Was fuller and just had that classic tone you recognize as soon as you turned it on.
    While at his place he also popped out a '70s Small Stone. Different, but a nice phaser as well.

14. elpueblosound

elpueblosound Member

Theres a volume drop in the HBE Psilocybe?? :puh

sucks...I really want one. I think im still getting one : )

I play an 80's DOD phasor 201 and it also has a volume drop but somehow it doesn't bother me as much. I guess it goes ok with the "phaser vibe."

Still want me a Psilo !!!

15. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

had most of the above. '74 MXR is the way to go, imo

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

If there is, I've never heard it, and I've used it as my primary phaser for 4 or 5 years.

17. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

The '74 hardwired and the Retro Sonic are both great...can't go wrong with either. The MXR is just plain great sounding and classic. The RS sounds great and for me is more useful in a band setting.

18. meterman

meterman Member

Loved the Red Witch but found it too tricky to dial in on the fly. Great sound though!!! Tried several MXR types including a modded Dunlop MXR RI, Shannon, BYOC, Maxon Phasetone, ended up with the Retrosonic which has as good or better sonics than the others plus several nice features like volume, depth, true bypass, bright LED.

19. rbehm

rbehm Member

+1 .....

20. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Wow, old thread! Thanks guys. Let me respond to myself. :)

I sold both the RW and Boss a while back. But recently revisted phasers...bought a upgraded MXR 74 hw RI, and then another PH-1r. Both nice and classic sounding...the Boss is a bit more swishy/curvy/deep. I'm sure that Retro is a good one...they seem to nail it every time.

Greg