Phaser or vibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 56_Special, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Which do you prefer and why?

Best,

Martin

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Have Deluxe Moon Phaser that can approximate some vibe sounds, but would like to add a KR MegaVibe or Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe at some point. UberVibe looks cool, too.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I may be totally wrong here,
    But I like phasers better because of this difference that I hear:

Phasers take your signal and make it sweep... like your signal is along for the phaser ride on that rollercoaster wave. A vibe seems to be along for the ride with your signal, sweeping alongside it.

I just happen to prefer the former sound, and although I do love the sound of vibes as well, for me and what I do I find the phaser more useful.

-Ben

4. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Eh, don't ask me, I love both. Have a Voodoo Labs MicroVibe and a Analogman modded Small Stone. I like a 'vibe for that Bridge of Sighs thing & a phaser for the space-y, swooshy sounds.

5. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I have a moon phaser, but im not completly satisfied. I like the subtle phase tones, but it's not perfect. Im into the more country rock, alt rock type tones, and I like a little phase/fuzz kinda lead guitar, or some super wiggly, almost leslie like lead tones. What recommendations are out there for me. Do I want a vibe, or is there a specific phaser that would work best for me? You can see my rig below in my sig

6. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I love phasers/vibes because you can get so many different effects with them. From the vowel like sounds of "Waylon" style palm mutin' pickin' to the "Jimi" throb of the Voodoo Vibe to the subtlety of a reeeeeeeally slow Moog sweep to wacky high resonance/feedback squawks.

I guess that's why I have 7 phasers, 3 vibes, and a MuRF. :AOK

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You can't find the almost-leslie-like tones in the DMP? If you click on the myspace link in my signature, the song "Funk Shui" has some organ type sounds played on guitar with the POG and DMP... I think it does pretty passable uni-vibe type sounds, though it's not a chorus (which will get you closer to Leslie)...

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I too love phasers/vibe/wiggle.
    I have a phase 100 and a Foxrox CC1 that has vibe.

I think that the vibe is versatile but in general I use the vibrato setting (there is a switch which dramatically changes the sound) more than the standard vibe sound which is an effect which has a very specific signature (read: sounds like hendrix). Definately get a vibe with a switch if you're going to get a vibe.

My favorite effect is phase shifting. I think phaser in general is more versatile, less of a sonic fingerprint, and more modern-sounding overall.
    What does phaser is more modern mean?
    what I mean is phaser sounds more like modulated delay--very subtle. It's more able to take on your tone.

With the vibe, you take on the tone of it. A vibe is just really an overdone amp tremolo to me, and we all know how stale that gets after a while.

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I can get that tone from the MP. It's probally the one tone Im most happy with from it. I don't like chorus, but I like that quick phase type tone... really wobbly. However, the Moon Phaser doesn't blow me away outside of that tone, and a few very subtle phase tones. It doesn't sound fabulous when combined with my hotcake or fuzz. At times, it even dissapears. It also sounds somewhat chorus like to my ears when Im not using gain. Finally, after having it for 4-5 months, i hear the treble end of it more and more. At first, I loved the pedal, but now It doesn't feel quite right. I think some elements are great, but the added treble, the dissapearing phase with my fuzz and hotcake, and the chorusiness when ods are off really are making me second guess it.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

A. Did you try it placed before and after the OD/fuzz?

B. Did you try adjusting the internal bias trimpot (picture and instructions on the Red Witch website)?

11. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Yep and Yep. Ive done my best with the first part, and its been all over the chain. It sounds its best right after the fuzz, and before the hotcake, but still dissapears in the mix.

I tried b to no avail. most the time it made it worse, so I returned it to the original setting.

I think its got a very cool charecter, but it's just not working in my rig the way i want it to... That's kinda why I was asking if its a phaser or a vibe I really want.. I love the swooshes. I tried several flangers and hated them, and I no way want a chorus tone. I think that bothers me a bit with the red witch. Its a bit to chorus like. I dig the swooshing, range, controlabuility, but all the other factors aren't working for me.

12. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I love the pulse of a vibe...nothing like it :D

13. thintele

thintele Member

has anyone tried the Phasavibe or the Phase Royale?...just wondering how the vibes sound are in it

14. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

I am a phaser guy, but if I could get more phase/vibes sound, I would. On my list is the Nebula. I bought it, thought is was okay, but then played my friend's and was blown away. I realize now phasers belong in front of ODs. Makes the world of a difference. Nebula is a cool phase/vibe sound. For straight up phase, try a retro-sonic.

15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

they are useful sounds, but wont replace a Mojovibe type 'vibe'