1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Phaser that best covers Vibe/Leslie sim?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iualum, Nov 7, 2005.

1. iualum

iualum Member

I'm looking for a phaser that can do a 1/2-way reasonable wobbly-kinda-vibe/leslie thing.

Is there anything? Or should I just get both a phaser & a vibe/leslie sim box?

The Subdecay Quasar has grabbed my attention. Soundclips are good for the vibe/leslie/wobbly sound. Does it really sound like this in real life?

The Home Brew Psilocybe seems like a great unit, too. But can it do anything like a vibe/leslie?

Any other ideas? Thanks a bunch.

2. Jack

Jack Member

You might look into an old MXR phase 45. I have a now non-working one that I thought did a good leslie impression. I have heard the same from other people. It's a more subtle phase, but all it has is a speed control, so if you don't like the basic tone, you can't adjust it.

3. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Lovetone Doppelganger

4. iualum

iualum Member

LOL, thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather spend $200 or less for a single unit rather than whatever the crazy prices that the Lovetone goes for.

5. jcshirke

Well, you asked. It does exactly what you want--and I got mine before prices went through the roof. Deals may be out there to be had.

Maybe try the Pigtronix thing--I forget the model #. Google it.

6. meterman

meterman Member

The BJF Mint Green Mini Vibe does it well, probably the most beautiful sounding modulation pedal I've ever heard. Wish I could afford one, someday....

I'm not a leslie expert or anything but the Red Witch Moon Phaser gets close enough for me at its fastest setting, it's a real versatile and good sounding phaser too.

FWIW a friend who knows tone and digs leslie tones really likes the Retrosonic chorus ensemble and the Analog Man Clone chorus for those tones....

7. jcshirke

I agree with all the other recommendations, but I really would urge you to watch the Pigtronix EP-1 demo video. If it's versatility you're looking for, this thing can do a lot of stuff. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) it can get Leslie-ish tones, in addition to all of the different phaser tones you'd probably be after. www.pigtronix.com

8. fatback

fatback Member

YES!

It's a very vibey phase, with a nice off-kilter notch to its cycle. Very vibey indeed.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

retrosonic chorus ensemble if it sounds like my ce-1 yeah that'll do it

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

Not a dedicated phaser, but try a Lovepedal Vibe. It's got characteristics of both effects.

11. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I retired my old CE-1, handing off the tone to my retro in which clones the ce-1. I also have the redwitch moon phaser. Both very analog and rich in tone, both do there "own thing" of a vibe in there own way :dude

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I really like the Red Witch Moon Phaser. Actually for my Trowerism efforts, I can dial this in more satisfactorily than most of the 'vibes I've tried (deja, ultra, voodoo, micro, others). Unlike many vibes, you can control the wetness of the effect very well, and make it more subtle rather than full up in your face. Plus it's very compact, looks cool, will run (for a while anyway) on a 9v battery in a pinch.

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have been using a Lovepedal MagicBoy (another one knob wonder)
    and sometimes add my script logo MXR Phase 100 for the Trowery thing.
    I just took a quick look at the Pigtronix EP-1 website and the audio files
    are very cool. Seems like an extremely versatile Phaser/Envelope Filter.
    Didn't see the price but it seems like it is very well built from the pics.

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use an old Script Phase 90.

15. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

not a phaser...but the old red ac powered ross flangers do a pretty good job.....

d

16. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah, actually I have a vintage EH Deluxe Electric Mistress that does an excellent Leslie sound at higher rate settings, and a beautiful chorus as well...

17. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Both the Ibanez Rotary Chorus and the Maxon Rotary Phaser do a very good job of getting damn close to a vibe, especially when ran in stereo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking

18. jcshirke

Yet another possibility--Line 6 Rotomachine. It's not a phaser that does Leslies. It's a Leslie sim that could give you some phaser-like warble, particularly at slow settings. Nice pedal...just thought I'd mention it.

+1 on the Maxon PH-350, btw.

Jeff

19. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

another vote for the moon phaser ... the second click from the right (i think) gets pretty close to a vibe sound.

20. Jack

Jack Member

I've got the Pigtronix EP-1. I am using it primarily for the envelope filter and feel satisfied that I am getting the analogue-y, Jerry Garcia Mutron sounds I was looking for. The phaser and and the envelope share controls, so it's not really practical to switch to phase side on stage. The phase side is also nice and analogue sounding, but I am getting mostly "wild", spacey phase with it and haven't really been able to dial in a subtle phase that I associate with vibe effects. I may in time be able to dial it in though, this thing has a lot of knobs and switches on it.