Phaser that can do Univibe tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loosegroove, Mar 9, 2006.

1. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

So I already have a bunch of great pedals, but I am looking to put together a real simple, small board. Are there any phasers that can also do a decent univibe tone. The Red Witch is out of my price range right now. I was thinking a of getting a BYOC fully loaded kit, but they don't make them anymore. So any recommendations?

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Any decent phase can cop the efefct, but I would highly suggest the MagicBoy from Lovepedal, only $125!

3. autopilot

autopilot Member

there are some mods for the phase 90 to make it more vibe-ish sounding.

to me my favorite phaser is the 4ms phaser fleur it can get some good vibe sounds.

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

For a phaser that can get there I'd save and get the Red Witch. But I second the magic boy.

5. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

The MXR Phase 45 sounds uncannily Univibe-like...

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

I hate to sound like a broken record (I'm sure people are tired of hearing me sing it's praises), but the HBE Psilocybe is probably the one you're after. The thing that makes it special is that it doesn't have an oscillatory phase like almost every other phaser I've ever heard. It has an off-balance phase, a sort of wobble to it, that is very similar to vibe pedals. Using the switches you can change from a nice thick MXR-like phase, to a clearer, more vibe-like phase. That is what I'd recommend 'cause it can kinda save you the trouble of having two pedals. But in the end a phaser's not really a vibe, and a vibe is a phaser but doesn't have very thick phase.

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

You can still get the BYOC fully loaded phaser as a pre-built pedal for $179.

The MagicBoy is cool, but simple. You only get the one depth setting.

The Sobbat PB-2 has a pretty wide range of sounds - straight vibrato, 2 phaser voicings, a Jag control to shift the symmetry of the wave, and it's pretty small.

8. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I have defintely thought about the pedals from Lovepedal, Bob Sweet, and the MXR 45, but with them I guess i am really only getting one sound, while I am going for a little more versatility. I'll look into the HBE.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The old t.c. electronic phaser was capable of nice vibe tones...

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm saving for the Red Witch for the stereo features and all the different sounds...

11. hbar

hbar Member

I've heard that the DOD 201 phasor can pull it off, too, but I can't corroborate that.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I built the fully loaded phaser from BYOC by sourcing the parts from Small Bear Electronics...I got the box from a local place here in town. The Univibe setting is pretty nice, I prefer it to the Script sound.

13. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The Shannon Uniphase.

14. enditol

enditol Member

The Subdecay Quasar could get you there - lots of versatility and tones! :RoCkIn

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Yeah, but Shannon only made 20 of them, and isn't making them anymore.

But it does do both the phaser and univibe things very well. Trower tones 'til Tuesday!

I've got #16!

16. madsr

madsr Member

or you could get the lovepedal magic boy vibe and a USA smallstone .. both for under $200

17. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

How much are those?

18. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

$190 at MToyz.

Used for less occasionally on Ebay.

19. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I actually have a Sobbat Phase Breaker II. It is an amazing phaser and is really versatile. With the Jag feature you can get an even symmetrical phase or one that adds a bit more "rotation" soncially speaking by having the symmetry uneven. Phase 2 feature gets pretty deep and can get a pseudo flange tone. The vibrato is nice, but I never use vibrato.

I could definitely get by using a pedal like this for alternative vibe duty, though of course when put this next to my Sweetsound Ultravibe the difference between a vibe and phaser are much more apparent than when just playing them by themselves. The Sobbat is my favorite phaser to date, though I haven't tried a Redwitch. I was just seeing what else was out there. I still would be interested in trying out the HBE. I don't think it would be better than the Sobbat, and actually think it would be fairly less versatile. It just sounds like it's a different beast that may be more in the vein of what I am after.

20. threm

threm Member

Regarding the Sobbat, I never hear about their Glow-Vibe despite all the vibe threads.
    Maybe the 600 dollars price tag plays a part in this?

"Glow vibe, is like the 90s Uni Vibe, chorus/vibrato effects including new patented "Monkey Dance" system."
    440 dollars in Japan, http://www.soundfield.jp/osusumeeff2.htm (called Grow-Vibe) ;-)

[​IMG]