Phaser that can get long sweeps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jeebustime, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Jeebustime

Jeebustime Member

I'm currently using the Phase90, but i'm not happy with it and am looking for an upgrade. I like to punch on my phaser when my band breaks into a dance groove. I use it a lot with my delays, so i need one that has long sweeps. I'm also looking for versatility so that I can switch it up to a more pulsing phase. The non-true bypass on the phase 90 is killing me, not to mention the noise along with its one knob nonsense. I saw a red witch moon phaser here on the boards which look pretty nice, but does it have the long, deep sweeps like the Phase90 does? It also seems a lot more versatile. Any more suggestions would really help, I haven't personally tried any other phaser yet.:bonk

2. astainback

astainback Member

The blackout effectors whetstone phaser is capable of a minute long sweep from what I understand.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Forum Runner

3. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

Look for phase shifters with more stages. MXR 90 is only 4 stages. MXR 100 is 6. When I think of deep sounding phase shifting I am reminded of Joe Walsh (The Confessor, Turn to Stone). Also, placement of your phaser before or after your distortion pedal makes a lot of difference. You you might try playing with that first before you drop money on a new phase shifter. The Boss Ph3 might be an alternative for you?

4. Mr R

Mr R Member

Bought an Empress phaser recently and I'm loving it. It has a lot of different options and tap tempo. They have some good demos on the web site. I also have a VFE Enterprise that I love. There are also a lot of good demos out on that one. I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend and how many features you're interested in having.

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

whetstone or grand orbiter. the retrosonic phaser also has a pretty decently long sweep.

6. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

The Keeley Phaser has 6 stages and a long sweep on it...plus I like the green sparkle finish

7. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

As mentioned, the Whetstone is super-slow. And so is the Subdecay Baby Quasar (and I would assume the Quasar DLX as well).

8. Jeebustime

Jeebustime Member

Also, which phasers have a tap tempo? My drummer does lots of electronic dance beats so its important to stay perfectly in time with stuff like that.

9. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Empress Phaser, Subdecay Quasar Deluxe, Line 6 M5/9/13, Keeley Phaser, Cusack Tap-A-Phase...

10. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Member

Infanem Compact Faye Sing does not have tap-temp but it does have ridiculously long phase sweeps, about a minute I think. Also can do a great fast pulse thing too.

11. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Boss PH-2 can do a 16 second sweep, pretty damn long to me.

12. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I was stuck between getting a Quasar DLX (4, 6, or 8 stage switchable) and an Empress (2,3, or 4 stage switchable) for a while before deciding on the Empress because the tone seemed warmer and I thought I could get more vintage sounds. The Empress also has a 2-stage phaser, which is very useful for more subtle phasing, and can get an envelope following effect to trigger the phase with attack. When set correctly on 4-stage, it can sound very like a phase 90. 2-stage sounds a lot like a phase 45. Of course there are a million other sounds you can get with it, and you can plug 2 expression pedals into it at once to control mix, wave width, or speed (2 of the 3 at a time). The phase can go very long (almost a minute) or short enough to sound like a ring modulator. It is also completely silent.

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Barberpole Phase on the Line 6 M9 will sweep forever

14. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Had the EHX nano, hated it.
    Had the Retro Sonic, loved it
    Had the Whetstone, loved it more (yes, long sweeps)
    Have the Empress, absolutely love it the most (yes, long sweeps).

Since getting the Empress, nothing else I've heard or tried has interested me in the slightest.

One side note: some complain the text is hard to read on the Empress. They recently said their next run of enclosures will have a new text color.

15. iaresee

iaresee Member

I wandered in here to give some props to them empress phaser. It was the phaser that finally made me love pedal-based phasers. No modding. No fighting with it. No overdriven input when I hit it with a hot signal.

Sounds awesome. More options than you could ever want in a phaser.

Second to it would be the Eventide ModFactor.

16. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I think the OP would like the Quasar DLX. I have one and its great. All the knobs are very interactive and it does take some tweaking to be able to get more than just extreme sweeps or warbles. This is mostly due to the sensitivity of the knobs and the interaction with each other they all have. But the pay off is great.

Burgerman666 has a great demo video of all of the LFO waveforms. It gives a great idea of what its capable of. It's what made me get it when I wasn't even looking for another phaser (I already had 7).

17. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

longest I heard was on the Moogerfooger -- cosmically long. Whole song long, one cycle, for real. Nothing else I've tried comes remotely close to a cycle that long.

not my fave phaser -- it's a sooper-tweaker. An addictive fiddler I OD'd on and ditched so I could get sleep and remember to eat and bathe occasionally. Crack in a pedal.

2nd place goes to my old Psylocibe. Pretty long, I remember it being fairly longer than a Stone or 90. Not sure.

18. enjoyadrian

enjoyadrian Member

repeating what was said, but the blackout effectors whetstone on pad mode is so slooooooooow. At times I think the effect turned off midway.

If you're interested, i have a boss ph3 that has tap tempo i'd be willing to sell on the cheap.

19. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

original TC XII-stage phaser --- very, very long.
    my favorite.
    still in regular use, here.

20. iaresee

iaresee Member

Nice call. I forgot about the Moog!