phaser time!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mustangman, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mustangman

mustangman Member

whats a really good true bypass phaser?
    im looking at the HomeBrew Psilocybe Phase Shifter, but am wondering what you guys think is good and what you are using.

thanks in advance.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Depends on what you're looking for. The Red Witch Moon Phaser is fantastic. Definitely off the beaten path. I had a Shannon Phaser that was really good. Pretty much a boutique Phase 90. I love the Maxon PH-350 - not TB, but you could get it modded. Of course, for phasers I still like a lot of the vintage stuff.

3. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Hey Tom, whaddya mean "off the beaten path?"

The Moon Phaser is a classic. All the sweet spots. :cool:

4. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Here's what I've tried:

Analogman Small Stone - Takes over tone, gives you really ambient trippy resonant atmosphere.

Red Witch - Doesn't take over tone - adds prettiness and character to existing sound. Not much resonance can get chewy on some settings.

Sobbat Phasebreaker - Three settings. 1) Excellent vibrato. 2)Chewy Phase90-like sound that can get close to vibe. 3) Resonant small stone-like sound. True bypass and doesn't take over tone as much as the EHX box.

John

5. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Retro-sonic phaser is SWEET! True-bypass, level control...

6. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the new HBE or Subdecay phaser to Red Witch or small stone?

I'm really looking for a boutique small stone but so far nothing has compared to my vintage small stone for trippy stuff.

John

7. shigihara

shigihara Member

like I mentioned in the Foxx thread you really got me going
    with your book... it's all your fault !!! :D
    I just recently found 2 Schulte PhaseShifters... they still seem to be
    floating around over here...

later, Paul

8. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

If you want a "Phase 90 only better" get a Shannon.

www.shannoneffects.com

I didn't like the homebrew. Sounded plain weird to me..

9. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

?? what's the price? online resellers?

10. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

11. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I've had a Red Witch and HBE. Kept the HBE. If you want a fun phaser that will get gushy and give you some great sounds to play with, the HBE is pretty freakin' cool. Plus its about 1/2 the price :D

13. mustangman

mustangman Member

see thats what i want, something thats really fun to play with and makes trippy phsycodelic sounds.

14. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The best two I've ever seen and owned are the new version Shannon Phaser and my personal favorite the Uniphase.

15. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

When Eric stopped the first production run to focus only on the phaser he dropped the online retailers because it wasn't cost/time effective for him. He's stopped production again due to a new gig, but he has a few Phasers and a very few Uniphases left, the only way to get one is to e-mail him more than likely cheaper to much cheaper than listed. Tell him Paul from sent you.

The color knob is essentially an internal trimmer more readily accesable it moves from completely counter clockwise (dark thick phase to full clock wise (thinner brighter phase) It's extremely clean and smooth as are all the pots, unity gain is at 3/4 on the volume knob.

16. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i have lots of phasers

red witch

homebrew

boss ph-1r

evh phaser

favorite for distorted rock guitar evh - juices up the midrange really nice!

favorite for clean tones and subtle trem-- red witch

favorite for all out phase nuttines with hi fi quality -HBE

ph 1r- sometimes too woofy

17. jeak

jeak Member

My favorite trippy phaser of all time is/was the TC Electronic XII programmable phaser. I don't think it was TB, but it didn't need it. I still have mine, and I guard it with my life. I saw one for sale here a couple of weeks ago. Very tempting. These things were discontinued many years ago. Talk about tweakability and mess-around-ability! It had a switch for selecting 4, 8, or 12 stages, plus a notch filter and the usual depth, rate, and speed. Amazingly versatile. It's a bit too dramatic for loud live use, but it's great for recording. If I weren't spending so much money these days on OD pedals, I'd hunt down a second one of these. Someday I will.

My current "daily driver" phaser is the Maxon PT999 reissue. I love it too. I don't think it's what you're looking for, though. It has exactly one knob and is also not TB. But it's really warm and has a subtlety that I have not heard in other phasers. I use it on the bass side of my Stick, and it really shines. I don't like it so much on the melody side.

18. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I've got the Maxon Rotory Phase...Love it...

Very "tweakable"...

19. fatback

fatback Member

I love phase-shifters. I always prefered their chewy whoosh to chorus and flanging.

I keep in my collection:

a script logo Phase 90 ("Ice Cream Man", very chewy)

a Maestro Phase 1 ("No Quarter" kind of wobbly)

a tc Phase XII (very liquidy)

a Moogerfooger Phaser, (huge, but awsome. Very quiet and versatile with great bandwith and control features. r.i.p. Bob M.)

The one that I keep on my pedalboard these days is an HBE Psilocybe. I really like this pedal. It has tons of character, with great chewyness and a slightly off kilter warble. It's a phaser that starts to cross over into vibe territory. It is quiet and sounds great clean or before distortion.

20. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I hear that.

Another good one (if you can spare the room) is the Mu-Tron Phasor II.