1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

PHASERS - alternative to the Red witch Moon Phaser???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohanSolo, May 23, 2011.

1. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

before the redwitch deluxe moon phaser earns a permanent spot on my board, i wanna try out one more pedal.

i like the small footprint of the Subdecay Baby Quasar...any other suggestions?

anyone own/used a moon phaser and replace it with something else?

price isnt an issue, prefer a good bypass, stereo outs is a bonus, but quality of sound is what im chasing (ie ONE good sound vs many "meh" sounds)

i prefer my phase effect on the slow swoosh/subtle settings. for both clean and lead and through the front of amp. using various humbuckers and single coils.

cheers...

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Everyone seems to use Phase 90. It is really simple, warm, cheap and small footprint, but I was also wondering what else is out there. I thought Red Witch was really cool too and I would prefer a stereo phaser as well if actually make a stereo image.

So, basically, bump!

3. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

i shoudl add...ive previously owned hte MXR phase 90 EVH, as well as several small stones (including hte nano)
    i prefer the Redwitch over them all...but if theres something nicer...and smaller...then im all ears.

4. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

I've had a couple of phasers - here's the list in order of preference, based solely on sound quality.

Empress Phaser
    Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser
    Red Witch Moon Phaser
    MXR Script '74 Phaser

Ones that I haven't tried that are often reccommended - Whirlwind Orange Box and Retrosonic Phaser

5. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Currently have the Empress. I find of all I've tried it's the most tweakable and versatile.

Previously had:
    Blackout Effectors Whetstone (loved it)
    RetroSonic (loved it)
    MXR EVH
    EHX Small Stone

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

[FONT=&quot]I'm a phaser junky. I've had just about all of the "major" ones and many of the boutique. The Red Witch was my favorite for a long time and still is for certain things.

However, the best phaser, all around, is the Maxon PH-350 Rotary Phaser. Unfortunately it is discontinued, so the used market is your only option. It is nothing short of amazing. You have 4, 6 and 10 stage phasing and a + AND - feedback control. With just those 2 settings you can emulate just about any other phaser. It really is fantastic.

My 3 favorite phasers are the Maxon, the Red Witch and the MXR Phase 90 CSP026 HW '74 RI (many people feel the need to mod this even further. I think its fine. The "flaws" are the sound of the original MXR Phase 90). The Red Witch is awesome with the Phase Trem settings, although I do have some issues with certain hit humbuckers. The internal pad adjustment helps to a degree but it still clips with medium to hot humbuckers. So does the MXR, obviously. But again, for me, thatÂ’s part of its charm. The Maxon does not clip as it gets internally doubled to 18v, supplying it with plenty of headroom.
    [/FONT]

7. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps I had a duff one, I had an old chrome Red witch deluxe moon phaser, I never got on with it and eventually sold it, I then got the Diamond phase which is very pristine but a little dull, sold that, now I have a UK made phaser called Moonphase, a two knob phaser based on the Maistro from the 70s. its simple and it dishes out slabs of watery phase.

8. 73171

73171 Member

The Robert Keeley phaser is really good.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I agree with Critter that the Maxon PH-350 is a terrific phaser... I had that on the board for quite some time after I sold my 1st Red Witch. I picked up a Deluxe Moon Phase again while still having the PH-350, and it was surprising how similar they actually were! I never would have thought of them as similar in sound, but there you go. The Maxon is a bit darker and has more background noise, and conversely the RW is a bit cleaner sounding and quieter. And the RW's tremophase pushed it over the top for 'win'.

But you should check out a PH-350... great phaser.

10. JRBain

JRBain Member

My faithful big box Small Stone does it for me just fine...

11. Scabiosa

Scabiosa Member

No one tried the Earthquaker devices Grand orbiter Phase machine?

I wonna try one of these, think it's a very cool pedal...

12. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Meant to be a recreation of the Schulte Audio Compact Phasing A

13. gtr777

gtr777 Member

Have you tried the Retro-sonic?

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I like my Small Stone and want a Whetstone. -E

15. Captain Zero

Captain Zero Member

I have love for the HBE Psilocybe. 6 different phaser and I keep coming back to the Psilocybe.

16. JohanSolo

JohanSolo Member

nope...but will check it out.

17. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I just bought a used Modfactor at a price that made me happy. I got tired of the modulation search and I have heard great things about Eventide and it is the only pedal that sounds decent and can run chorus, phase, Flange (plus others) all in true stereo (largely the issue finding good pedals that actually do stereo with both stereo in and out).

18. helio

helio Member

Whirlwind Orange Box.

A reproduction on the original MXR Phase 90, but to my ears a nicer, smoother, warmer take on those vintage tones than you can find in the present range of MXR reissues. Love this phaser every time I turn it on.

19. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Same here. I used the Phase 90 for many years (and still do), but I recently acquired a Psilocybe and love it. Very versatile and quiet and as good as I've played.

I also just got a Pigtronix EP-2, but it is definitely a much more involved pedal that does quite a bit more than the typical phaser with its LFO and envelope features..

20. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I have a MuTron Phasor II. It's my favorite, except it's the size of a large hardback novel. I'm thinking of a Whirlwind for it's good reviews and small footprint.