Phasers - Homebrew Electronics

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brianf, Jan 24, 2008.

1. brianf

brianf Member

I have a Boss PH3 Phaser which does the job for the amount I use a phaser.

I would like to get a second Phaser though and need some suggestions please..

Any Homebrew Users? The soundclips on the website sound good and the range is quite wide.

MXR Phase 100, also seems to have a nice range., The Single control on the Phase 90 seems to give the 90 limited range.

Any others out there? Thanks

brianf

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

BYOC Phaser. Just like a phase 90 script...but with a depth control...and internal trim pot.

3. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I'm a HBE user myself and love it. It's been on my board for over a year which is a lot to say. I just picked up a 70's MU-TRON Phasor 2 and find that the HBE can do a lot of similar sounds. Very versatile.

4. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

There are more than a few of us Psilocybe disciples on this board...I haven't looked twice at another phaser since I played through mine.

5. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

+1 love mine too

6. iualum

iualum Member

...LOTS of phaser choices...Psilocybe is very ice, but in this range, take a look at the Quasar, too...& it's always hard to go wrong with a Small Stone, especially an Analogman-modded box...a little bit more gets you into a PH-350 or Deluxe Moon which are excellent as well...

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i think if you bought a psilocybe you'd be extremely happy with the tone, versatility, construction and price... i've got one and love it....

8. brianf

brianf Member

Just orderered the Homebrew from MusicToyz. Choose the sickening green paintjob. I never knew they came in different colors. No chance of missing that in the dark.

brianf

9. silverface63

silverface63 Member

I have come so close to ordering a Psilocybe because I am retiring my script phase 100 but, have not had the set to pull the trigger. I have already ordered and received the replacment knobs for it. (Not a chickenhead guy).Maybe this weekend. Someone convince me. Please!!!! Does it really come in other colors?

10. innocent_bystander

great phaser.... very versatile....

custom colors you can order here: http://www.customguitargear.com/hbepsilocybe.html

11. brianf

brianf Member

Just a quick reply to say this pedal is worth the money. maybe not quite as many modes as the Boss but has a very clean not over the top tone to it.

Money well spent.

brianf

12. innocent_bystander

so you bought one?

13. brianf

brianf Member

It's going through its paces as we speak. It actually got hear Mon evening but today was the firsty chance I had to try it. Great pedal.

brianf

14. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I have a Psilocybe and really like it. Stays very clean and great tone. I haven't tried any others after getting this one. There may be a better phaser out there, but I just haven't felt the need to go shopping.

15. jdier

jdier Member

You know, the MXR 90 (mine is an older one without an LED) does seem limited in that it only has the one knob (rate) but I have yet to find a phaser that sounds as good. I used to have a 45 which I really liked but lost, but the MXR 90 is really a great sounding pedal. Not sure if the new ones sound like mine does.

In all fairness I have not really looked at too many other phasers, but I have had to use a DOD and a Boss Super Phaser and I really did not like either of those.