Phasers - modern Maestro clones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EL34, Mar 14, 2015.

1. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I'm going through a major phaser phase right now, and I am really digging the old Maestro phasers. I know about the Heptode, and I really like than one, but I'm looking for something with more control over speed and depth. Are the Maestro PS-1 and later MP-1 phasers essentially the same except for the variable speed and depth (balls) on the MP-1? Is anyone making a modern version of the MP-1?

I should probably just get a vintage MP-1, but the size is overwhelming! Haha

2. juansolo

juansolo Member

Nope, fraid not.

They go about things in a quite different ways. Not to mention the PS1A is made for keyboard so can be a bit funky with guitar (it expects to be fed with a buffered signal and it's bypass isn't the most transparent thing in the world). These things can be overcome, not sure if the Heptode does that however. Then you've got the very cool ramping. Sounds awesome fed by a EHX B9 doing the sort of thing it was designed to do. The MP1 is a OTA phaser and is just one of the best sounding phasers out there. They both are infact, and are indeed my favourite phasers.

Madbean does a DIY version of the MP1 using current parts called a stage fright if you can wield an iron or know someone who can. The PS1A I know of a DIY board currently in the works that does that, but has been modified to make it guitar friendly (might have been involved in that). That's not long away.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

The Stage Phaser seems to sound more wet to me in the demos I've listened to. But, this doesn't sound too bad.

4. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I once had a vintage Stage Phaser in for repair. About the size of a dinner plate but mate, did it sound good. Best phaser I've heard.

5. Agileguy_101

Agileguy_101 Member

I think the Infanem Faye Sing is based off the Maestro. Or perhaps the Mu-Tron... either way, it's awesome.

6. jimmycupo

jimmycupo Member

It's based off the Schulte Compact Phaser that was built in Germany!

7. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Whetstone, sibling, keeley or grand orbiter

8. EL34

I've tried the Keeley and wasn't a fan. Maybe I need to try that one again.

The Sibling is advertised as an OTA type phaser like the Maestro, but it doesn't sound the same to me.

9. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

No offense, but these posts do make me wonder why some people do not just do a simple google search before pontificating about a subject they clearly know little about.

10. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

BTW I love my Infanem Faye Sing B Schulte Compact Phaser clone. The Faye's Her by Infanem is no longer available but it was based on the Mutron Bi-Phase, I have no affiliation except that I had been searching for Blackmore's '76 phase tone for a decade and finally found it in the Faye Sing B.

11. augur

augur Member

12. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

The Heptode is really fantastic. I own that and the PS-1a and bunch of other vintage and modern phasers. The Heptode is my favorite overall. My '71 Maestro sounds marginally better but the Heptode is so much more usable. It hasn't left my board in the two years I've had it.

13. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Do you find only have the three speed settings or lack of "depth/intensity" knob to ever be an issue?

14. EL34

That's a really strong endorsement - I may need to pull the trigger on the Heptode.

15. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I don't. The three settings always seem to be about where I'd set them if I were to lean down and turn the knob on my Phase 90, except I don't have to lean down. I never use ring mod fast anyway and, if I was, the Moog is great for that.

The only way I'd ever need more control over the speed is if I had tap tempo and was trying to match the LFO speed to my delay. I have this sound that I use that has the Heptode on the slow speed going into my EP-2 and have never had an issue with the rates not matching perfectly.

16. EL34

So this is how I resolved my dilemma. I was on a business trip to LA and walked into Sam Ash to find these two guys next to each other in the display case. Score! They both sound phenomenal.

[​IMG]

And I don't know who Bill McCool is, but he has great taste in phasers.

[​IMG]

17. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

bump as I would love to get the sound of the old maestro phaser, love it on the old meters records, not sure if that's the stage phaser or the the big tabletop model, but nothing I've found sounds like it. I had the original tabletop and it had something like 5 or 6 trimmers inside, does the heptode have all the trimmers in it too?
    Wish there was an option for less than $250 though,

18. 71strat

71strat Member

Moog MF103 6/12 Stage Phaser.
    It can do most everything