Phasers! MP Tiny Orange & Cusack Tap-A-Phase

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zion, Mar 1, 2008.

1. zion

zion Supporting Member

Saturday - As typically happens, I got 2 phasers in the mail today...The Mad Professor Tiny Orange and the Cusack Tap-A-Phase. These 2 will be at each others throats for a few days to see who stays. As far as initial impressions, the MP is plug and play and sounds good, seems to be darker overall than the Cusack. The Cusack I'm going to have to read the manual and see what exactly the controls are. I'm already liking the tap tempo though. Definitely a lot of options with the knobs and toggles and waveforms. Needless to say, I haven't had any real time with either. Back to the phasing!

Saturday - OK, played a for a few hours more tonight...I like them both and am trying to justify keeping both phasers. The Cusack is just full of neat things. I read the manual (twice) and have a grasp on the switches and the various modes. This thing is an amazing piece of pedal technology due to the fact that there are some many different functions of phase. I'm diggin' on those soft switches too. Hopefully more builders will be utilizing them! Very nice Mr. Cusack!

Saturday - The MP is a tonal phase for sure. I like it for Waylon/Shooter type phasing and the voicing is its strong point. There are no bad settings on the Tiny Orange. Tomorrow I'll explore the funky side of the MP and see how it goes.

Sunday - One thing that I'd change on the Cusack is where the toggles are located. They are too close to the in/out jacks. You can see it in the pic below. With my board, there is the potential to flip a toggle while stomping on the pedal due to the cables. UPDATE: The toggles are being moved when stepping on the pedal due to my cables. Contacted Cusack who suggested I use straight cables instead of 90's or find a new place to put them.

Sunday -Spent some time this morning with the not-so-deep phasing side of the Tiny Orange. The mix at 12:00=no phasing. CCW is deep phasing and CW is lighter. I bumped up the speed and went CW for some underwatery shimmer. Very cool. Again, I can't stress the superb voicing of this pedal. The literature speaks of the phasing being tuned for guitar. Believe it!

Sunday - I also tried dialing in a matching tone on the Cusack. These pedals can get very close to each other but the Cusack has so many more options. And it sounds good. I played with the braking feature on the Tap-A-Phase and that is nice. You can speed up or slow down just by holding in the tap-temp switch. I'm thinking about making a cheat sheet for the Cusack so I can dial in what I like quicker on the fly. Right now I have the instructions taped to the wall beside the board. I'm still amazed at all the features in this one pedal. The tempo light carries on when the pedal is in bypass. Very useful!

Monday - Playing the Cusack with some dirt. Got it set for a cocked wah sound. I had to check to see if my wah was on! Screamer blues! The phaser has got to be one of the most underloved effects. It's a lot more versatile than I thought. A big part of that is the Cusack which has the ability to utilize the effect fully. And the dirt I'm using is an MP Sky Blue OD.

The MP has a "smokey" tone too it. It would be an excellent choice for a more subtle phaser user. Not as many outer-reaches sounds. It sits nice in the frequency spectrum. It's bigger sounding than other phasers but not in an overpowering way. And again, tone is its strong suit.

[​IMG]

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

nice pair there Z !!

good luck with your choice...

Jons a genius designer and its just sick what the TAP can do,,,, would pretty much fill anyones wish list....

the TOP is a study in effeiciency - the mix knob lets it blend just right - I love having just a touch of mod before a distortion or even a clean tone..... and theres phase and vibe sounds there to mix in......

Top Tappin Tonight :AOK

3. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Great review Zion - MP and Cusack make top-notch stuff.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

where'd you get the MP phaser from?

5. zion

zion Supporting Member

Custom Sounds

6. exodus

exodus Member

I don't mean to get too OT, but I'm looking for a phaser and the MP looked like a pretty sweet little box. Then I saw the price. $404 USD. I thought these were supposed to be the "cost effective" line of fx he was making...

7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Exchange rate :(

8. zion

zion Supporting Member

To be clear, Bjorn doesn't make the Mad Professor pedals. He has simply (or not so simply) designed them. They are hand-made in a factory. Harri K of Custom Sounds owns Mad Professor and has BJ design the pedals. And in fact, the MP Phaser is cheaper, even in Euros than the BJFE phaser is in American change. They will be in the states soon and I'd check the pricing then! If you'd like, PM me if you want my # so you can hear it over the phone!

9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Hmmm ... well, there have only been ten or so BJF phasers ever made, so it's like comparing something that almost doesn't exist to a factory-made pedal. I'm a huge fan of Bjorn's work, but the pricing is getting outrageous for US buyers. I'm not saying it's all his fault, as the weak value of the dollar is playing a huge part, but it's definitely a bummer. The Aqua Marine Wonder Machine that some lucky winner/buyer is going to get off the BJF forum is $500. It's just too much, sadly.

10. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

There are definitely more than 4. I think there are four Purple Plum Phasers (yours is #4, right?). I know DocRoc has an orange colored BJF phaser and I recall that late last year Donner sold six sparkly orange Folk Fazers through the BJF forum. Either way, though, they are hen's teeth.

11. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Ah, here is a photo of three of the Folk Fazers made last year:

[​IMG]

12. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

well, I wanted badly a Snow white fuzz but at $444 (custom shop) it was too much for me (and I live in south america so the dollar rate doesn't have nothing to do).
    anyway, I think creative/innovative/truly talented people like BJ deserve all the big bucks in the world. I have no problem with that at all.
    My problem is that "I" don't have the money...

Cheers!

13. zion

zion Supporting Member

I do know that the price of the Folk Fuzz from the Custom shop is $444. I don't want to guess, but I'd say the Folk Phaser would be the same. Either way, the pricing of pedals these days is crazy and especially coming from Europe with the previously mentioned exchange rate.

14. fatback

fatback Member

Thanks for the write. Two very cool pedals there. :)

15. Don Rusk

The MP TOPhaser is a combination of the Purple Plum Phaser (4 made) and the Folk Phaser (7made)

It is the basic voice of the FF with the combined controls/functions of both :AOK

16. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I'm not a smart man granted, (only marginally smarter than my drummer) but I really don't understand this exchange rate excuse. $400 USD is roughly 250 euros. Does this mean that in Europe, or sweden specifically, 250 Euros is an average/reasonable cost for a phaser? What does a phase 90 go for over there? If it's like 90 dollars US it should only be about 50 - 60 euros. That's a pretty large price gap. What am I not getting??? Please help.

17. Don Rusk

well to simplify a bit

a few years ago the Dollar and Euro were 'even' 1 Euro = 1 Dollar

now the Euro is about 1 and a 1/2 dollars...

so something that was $300 from Europe a couple years ago is now $450 ( but the Euro seller is still only getting the same amount of money) :(

not good if your selling from Europe :Spank

18. Don Rusk

19. zion

zion Supporting Member

Yep, the Folk is definitely the parent of the Tiny Orange. I wish I could make some clips...My video camera burned up in a truck. Thanks Donner!

20. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

For reference a search for MXR Phase 90, lowest price http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=140342
    gives one result Beme Musik 1595 SEK and that's about 245,39 USD, or about 168 €
    An MXR Phase 90 at Musikborsen, one of Sweden's biggest chainstores is 1995SEK, about 306,93 USD or about 210€.
    Lowprice chain store JAM has Dunlop Phase 90 at 1195 SEK at about 183,85 USD or about 125€

The above ofcourse includes 25% VAT and these prices fluctuate with exchange rate and are subject to import duty

As a rule of thumb, US prices on line would be minimum twice as much in retail in Sweden, and then only if you can sell crates of the item and Swedish prices are always shown including 25% VAT unless otherwise specified.Other EC countries have different VAT rates, like 24% in Finland.

At your service
    BJ

Affiliations
    BJF Electronics
    Sweden
    www.bjfelectronics.com
    www.mpamp.com