Phasers With Phunk?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by e-flat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I'm back on a phaser kick lately, and bought a Lovetone Doppelganger (after 20 years of drooling over them) and a '70s V2 Small Stone recently which are in the mail.

I'm a Small Stone fanboy. I've played MXRs and liked them, but at the end of the day I just love the Small Stone's depth, timbre & character. Over the years, for Small Stones, I've owned a couple V4s, a V1, and a black & red Russian version. All of them had the funky chewiness I dig, and smelled like the 1970s.

Another super funky 70s phaser I've loved is the Mu-Tron Phasor II ... that big box with the orange / purple / red graphics. Beautiful. I could get lost in that box forever, but unfortunately have only played & never owned one.

There are other Phasers I've tried that I liked but which didn't get me to that same place. For example, I really loved the sound of the Red Witch Moon Phaser but it's's a much more ethereal and spatial effect. It doesn't grab the fundamental of the note and smear it so much as it affects the harmonics.... At least as I hear it. This is great for some applications, to be sure.

So what phasers are the chewiest, squelchiest, and deepest in your experience? If your tastes are toward the gnarly side of phase, are there any current production units that you've tried which you like better than the classics?

triviani likes this.
  2. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Mr. Black Gilamondo, Subdecay Quasar DLX, EQD Grand Orbiter V2

Sacrifice and e-flat like this.
  3. dcbc

dcbc Member

The most "musical," pretty sounding phaser I've ever owned is the Maestro MP-1. Currently own one along with a Pi-Phase and a Small Stone Nano. Have owned an EH Polyphase, MXR Phase 90 Script, and a vintage Small Stone.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf Silver Supporting Member

Probably not what you are looking for but my favorite is the old TC XII Programmable.
    [​IMG]

e-flat likes this.
  5. meowtorhead

meowtorhead Member

Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe

MNoir, Squatch57 and e-flat like this.
  6. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I had this one in the late 70s/early 80s. It has a killer sound, foot adjustable speed and depth, and ran a year on a battery. Half the size of a shoebox and could be used as a weapon if thrown.

I miss it.

e-flat likes this.
  7. Sexpistol

Sexpistol Member

The Pigtronix Envelope Phaser is awesome.

vbrans, 59Bassman, aisling and 2 others like this.
  8. dcbc

dcbc Member

Have owned mine forever, but have it up for sale (need to cover for an amp I bought). But if I sell some other presents first, I'm pulling that MP1 add for sure.

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Starting at 0:37, once the BALLS knob is cranked up, sounds terrific! Nice subtler sounds, too.... Never tried a Maestro, thanks for the input!

10. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I agree!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

I owned a MuTron Bi-Phase ages ago. Seriously funky and musical. These days, I get my funky phase on w an SA Orbital Modulator. Plays well with other pedals, 'cause you're gonna want to stack into it for flexibility.

e-flat likes this.
  12. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

This one is definitely on my radar after hearing clips, thanks!

S. S. Bender likes this.
  13. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Darn - i misread the title as "Phasers with Punk" and was thinking "Boy, that's just wrong" :D

e-flat likes this.
  14. augur

augur Member

For funk, I would definitely say Mutron.
    I ended up with this one :
    [​IMG]

e-flat likes this.
  15. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Supporting Member

Phasers I have right now - Pigtronix EP2, Empress, VFE Enterprise, Mutron Phasor 2x, Boss PH2, and Diamond. I had a Subdecay Quasar DLX that I sold years ago because I thought it sounded like it sat on top of the dry signal, rather than blended with it. I also found the core sound of it to be the opposite of chewy and rich. It's very clean, but thin and dull. I initially leaned back-and-forth between buying it or the Empress, and didn't end up with a Quasar until a few years later. I wanted to like it, but was disappointed. My initial choice of the Empress was much more what I was looking for.

If you were willing to shell out the cash for a Doppelganger, you should pony up for a Phasor 2x before they disappear. Much like the TruTron 3x, it's the same, but better than the original. It's the greatest pristine phase sound, which is kind of funny with it being such an old design. It's cool that it now has a 4-stage option, although I prefer the 6-stage most of the time. That's unusual, because I usually lean toward lower stage settings with other phasers.

The Diamond sounds very thick, but very clean for a JFET based phaser. It's powered by 18-24v, and sounds like it. The 2-stage setting is the thickest 2-stage I've heard, and very much its own thing. It can get pretty vibey, and sounds quite beautiful. Although there aren't a ton of switches, the knobs have a lot of travel for a lot of sounds. I'm almost exclusively on the 2-stage setting with this one, and it's about as good as it gets.

The Empress is a jackknife with a wide array of abilities, and the first ''boutique'' pedal I bought, back when it was new. The blend control can be switched between mix or blend, to get more of a vibe sound if needed. It does envelope, trigger, or external expression and midi control. It runs on 9-18 volts, and it makes a noticeable difference in fidelity. I prefer 18.

The 2-stage setting is better than any I've heard for subtle phasing, although it goes way beyond subtle if you want it to, and the 3-stage probably my favorite setting overall... very original sounding, and capable of an even thicker sound than the 4-stage, or at least it seems. There are so many great sounds in this thing, and it's probably my favorite overall because of that. I only wish it had a full pos/neg resonance knob instead of the 3-way switch.

I most recently picked up a nos VFE Enterprise because I eyed them for a long time before they were discontinued, and I liked the idea of a phase 45/90 with a ton of options. It doesn't disappoint.

triviani and e-flat like this.
  16. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I have an FX Doctor modded MXR Phase 90, with added internal trimpots, and the ability to make fine adjustments appropriate to your guitar and rig turns out the be really effective. Then, "someone" (= me) broke the main adjustment pot and replaced it with a slightly different value, and that had a nice result as well. I know it's just such a familiar pedal... but the mods really turn it into something individual and special. I'd love one of those Mu-FX units but they cost more than I am willing to pay.

17. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

My-Fx Phaser 2X looks like a great option, too. I’d followed their announcements regarding the development of the MuTron reissues, but somehow overlooked the Phaser. Sounds incredible.

18. korgi

korgi Member

The mutron phaser 2 As you mentioned, easily the best I have ever used

godotzilla and e-flat like this.
  19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Couple good ones, IMO, that don't get much press-

Maxon 350
    Ibanez PH99

e-flat likes this.
  20. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

As stated previously by others in this thread, the Mutron Phasor 2X looks like a great option, especially since I just learned that Pigtronix has discontinued the EP2 I posted about earlier. Here's a link to the MP2X webpage, and a current picture of the unit which is listed at $339.93. As of this writing, the webpage shows having 12 in stock.

https://mu-fx.com/shop/pedals/mu-fx-phasor-2x/

[​IMG]

e-flat likes this.