1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Phasers With Phunk?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by e-flat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

More "post-punk" than "punk", but there's nothin' wrong about this:

(If anybody knows what phaser Pat Place is using, please, let me know anytime.)

musica23 and e-flat like this.
  2. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

My old block logo Phase 90 from '80 does it for me....

Befuddled likes this.
  3. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Got one of these a few months ago--fantastic.

I still have my original Phasor II. It was literally the first word in phasers for me--the 2nd pedal I ever bought (after an MXR Distortion +). It's proved to be the last word in phasers, too--I've yet to find a pedal that bests it.

e-flat and S. S. Bender like this.
  4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

@chankgeez that sounds very Boss PH-2 to me (e.g. grindy and in your face in a love it or hate it kind of way).

@e-flat happily you have many, many great options =). Phaser may be my favorite effect and I've been fortunate to own many, many.

My best recommendation for simple and chewy is the Maxon PT9 Pro+. It is truly exceptional imo before fuzz.

Luck Duck makes an excellent MuTron PHasor 2 clone that is much cheaper used than the Mu-Fx. It defines chewy imo.

The Mu-Fx has stereo and expression control that as described by others is excellent (haven't tried).

The Diamond is a clone of the MuTron Phasor 1 and is truly exceptional as described above.

For dirt cheap ($50-60 used) the Nano EHX Bad Stone is thick and chewy. I love it, own 1, and have owned several. The big silver box Bad Stone may be my favorite phaser tone. I haven't tried The Mummy Face version but it has big fans and also reportedly big volume drop issues.

The Empress is remarkably "chewy" given its resonance control. Its envelope functionality lets it be truly funky if you're into that. It can nail any Phase 90 or Phase 45 derivative and improve on it (e.g. the Ibanez PT-909 which is a great phaser). It's not "simple" although it is user-friendly. I hate the labels (small and don't stand out against the background color). They can be impossible to read if the light is not bright.

The Moog is always amazing but huge.

The Boss PH-2 is chewy for sure (and cheap) but it can be harsh. I will likely own one again.

The Chase Bliss is great but I hate the interface. It is very cool and can be chewy, chewy.

The Pigtronix rocks. I need to re-visit it at some point. I sold it in favor of the Empress (smaller).

The XVIVE Wave is great in an effects loop. It is great value for money used. It is an improved EHX Polyphase.

The HBE is good value and a quality phaser that can be chewy. I sold it given others but really like it.

I think about the Keeley Green Phaser much like I think about the HBE. I sold it too but like it.

I want to try the classic TC 12 stage phaser. The Toneczar gets great reviews but is very expensive and has long, long lead times.

Aside: the Maxon PH-350 is truly awesome but I wouldn't call it chewy.

chankgeez likes this.
  5. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Man, now THAT is a great response! Thanks for the input, I'll especially look into the Maxon PT9 Pro+ and the Luck Duck Mutron Clone (Nutron?).

Flatscan likes this.
  6. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Thanks, @Flatscan , PH-2 is definitely a good post-punk phaser.

I've also been interested in this one, but I've got no experience w/ it:

Flatscan likes this.
  7. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

@e-flat this demo is very fair and sold me:

Edit: this demo is very "salesy" but shows off the chewiness well..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    e-flat likes this.
  8. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Nutron sounds awesome - chewy but still very liquidy.
    That PT9 has the throaty SQUELCH, though. Good heads up on that one.... wasn't even on my radar until you mentioned it. :aok

Flatscan likes this.
  9. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

Another vote here for the Bad Stone. Very musical, doesn't smother your tone in Phasiness the way many other comparably priced units are wont to. With some tasteful dirt immediately following in your chain, Funkadelic's "Comin Round the Mountain" is within your grasp, inasmuch as anything Eddie Hazel did is! The Bad Stone's speed dimed gets you into a near-ring mod cacophonic atmosphere, and its manual mode enables some pun-intended out-of-phase rhythm guitar parts.

The DOD 201 sounds great in demos, especially its pseudo-Leslie aspects, and I just won a decently priced one on ebay that should be here next week.

Might as well phase it. I'm addicted....

e-flat and Flatscan like this.
  10. blue62

blue62 Member

e-flat likes this.
  11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

^^^ That Periscope :cool:

I’ve owned probably 9-10 Small Stones from all eras (favorite was a v2, should’ve kept), but I inevitably come back to Phase 90’s (using an EVH for years, ugly but sounds great!). One thing I love doing is running phasers into tremolo for cinematic landscapes/psych musings.

e-flat likes this.
  13. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Member

Ph-1r owns all, imo. If they waza that sh!t it’s over

e-flat likes this.