1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Phasers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarb, Jun 20, 2006.

1. guitarb

guitarb Member

I know I read a thread on phasers here..but I can't find it.

What are the predominant favorites...Retro-Sonic...Red Witch..Option 5? Thanks!

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

halophaze from toneczar. :p

dave

3. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

red witch is my choice. really lovely sound.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I SO don't want to go there... but if the Phasavibe doesn't work out, that's where I'm going to have to go! And wait and wait and wait for it.... ;)

-Ben

5. Kezend

Kezend Member

well i'm having trouble finding an SIB for sale in Australia. i tried a Carl Martin Two Faze yesterday, and it was a nice sounding unit, and i need the two speed settings. but its so limited. its just two speeds, and very expensive for what it is. anyone saying i SHOULD get it?

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

The Nebula sounded nice from the clips I've heard... Hopefully get to check it out at the Houston Pedalfest!!! (crosses fingers fon Brad's arrival) :D

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

+1 I have the standard version and its very smooth and natural. The Vibe tones are fantastic and the tremelo has a good range and is nice and warm.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The Deluxe Moon Phaser has got some really great sounds.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I had to cancel my order for a Halophaze last month because apparently it doesn't work with a daisy-chain power supply.

HOWEVER - I got a Maxon PH350 and it's fantastic! Shimmery, chewy, AND deep. No noise or volume issues. Cuts through ODs running after it just right (not overwhelming, not eaten by the ODs). This is the phaser for me. It was a long time searching for the right phaser!!

I also owned the Red Witch, but while it was shimmery for sure, it wasn't chewy or deep and it would get eaten by OD's run after it. It was more in the chorusy side of phasing. That and I didn't care for the vol. boost the RW gave. BUT- if you don't want the thicker 'vintagey' sounding thing, the RW was a very cool effect that was kind of a blend of a Univibe, Chorus and Phaser.

-Ben

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

The Home Brew Electronics Psilocybe Phaser is another favorite on this site, and is my personal choice. Other good choices have been listed, plus I would say that a vintage Ross phaser, MXR Phase 90, EH Small Stone, or a Mutron Phasor II would all be fantastic (I have all of those two, and they're all great).

11. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have been enjoying the new crop of phasers in the last year or so.

They seem to fall into three camps - clones of simple MXR 45/90's, more complex ones with extra features, and full on tweak monsters.

Simple clones - RetroSonic, Shannon, MXR EVH, TF Nebula, Maxon PT999, Maxon PT 9+ (12 stages!), Lovepedal MagicBoy, Sweet Sound MoFaux, Option 5 Destination Rotation, DNA Purple Phase, SIB Fazeadelic

Phaser + - Maxon PH350, HBE Psilocybe, SubDecay Quasar, Pigtronix EP-1, Toadworks Phantasm, Red Witch Moon, Rastop Phaser/Vibrato, Carl Martin Two Faze, Lee jackson Photon, EHX PolyPhase (coming soon!),

Tweakers - ModMax Phaser, Prophecysound Infinitphase, Cusack Tap-A-Phase

My current phaser stable includes the MoFaux (for a sweet sparkle and flow), the Moog (for full on DEEEEP, exp pedal crazy, and a great stereo field), a Pigtronix (for funky and beat synced stuff) , a kinda rare Sobbat PB2 for chewiness and vibrato, and a Maxon PT999 for simple.

If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Quasar and then either get simpler (RetroSonic) or go with the envelope phasers (Phantasm or PolyPhase).

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I love my 30 year old Small Stone - for some reason all the clones go the MXR route, but my SS is quieter than any of the clones I have had (Shannon, Retrosonic) - plus you can get a beat-up one on eBay cheap!

Can't wait to check out the Nano!

(does anyone know if the EH Nano's coming out next month are TB???)

13. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I just got my first phaser so I am no expert on phasers, however I beieve my first phaser will also be my last since it is Halophaze #11. This pedal is awesome, I don't know if it is better than something else but I can say that it is probably the best built pedal I have ever seen. I can't imagine any pedal sounding any better than this thing. It has plenty of headroom it can be tweaked for tons of different sounds and it has two different switchable speeds. It makes absolutely no sound when on or any sound when being turned on. The sound has a 3D quality to it that becomes one with your guitar. Instead of adding an effect to your sound this pedal becomes one with your sound, sorry but that's the best way I can explain it. I have played 200 gigs in the last two years and I havn't used any modulation pedals and now I find myself using this pedal as much as I can. So far I prefer the vibe setting but I believe you could get pretty much any phase related sound you want with this thing. It's Awesome.

14. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

I've tried 4 phasers. The best so far has been the SIB Mr. Faze. And it is very reasonably priced. Warm and Quiet. Also, it doe snot crap out under a hot signal.

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Which is why, even though I prefer the PH350 and that's on my board, the SIB is NOT going to get sold! That Mr. Fazeadellic is a very cool phaser... unity volume, doesn't break up, nice depth. The only thing is that it doesn't have (for me) enough top end shimmer (a la Moon Phase) or chewiness (a la Shannon), whereas the Maxon PH350 does. BUT, all in all, it's certainly my #2 phaser!

-Ben

16. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I'm really liking my Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. Took a bit of tweaking to find the sounds I really like, but it's working beautifully now. Definitely a 1st class pedal.

17. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I don't have trouble running OD's after the moon phaser. They sound perfectly fine to me. There might be a touch of treble boost but a short twist of the volume knob normally takes care of that.

I don't like chorus. Sounds too 1981. And most phasers either sound too 1970 or to 1985. The Red Witch to me doesn't sound like either. When used in less extreme settings, Its a far more subtle effect. It can add throbs, gentle Swooshes, tremelo, very natural/watery Univibe tones, funk tpe filter tones, and can cop most the tones one would expect from a phaser. It doesn't nail every phase tone, but hey, an MXR clone can't nail a mutron. I've played through several choruses including the Boss CE-1, CE-2 and the RS CE. I think the warm vibe of those pedals is similar to the Red Witch... How they aren't nearly as shimmery as other choruses.. I don't think it gets any shimmier (is that a word!) than the lower chorus settings of a CE-1, and to my ears, it never actually sounds like a chorus. I guess that's pretty subjective. Its a watery phaser, not a deep chewy phaser, but it has a nice subtleness in its middle tones. It can get very watery, which i could see being a plus in some instances. I can definatly understand someone wanting a different phaser if they want really chewy phase tones... Ive thought about getting a chewier unit myself to pair with it.

Anyways, my opinon is that if you want something with subtle phase and tremelo with the abuility to get watery/shimmery, then the red witch can take care of both.

18. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Supporting Member

+1 on what BmoreTele said...I tried a lot of phasers before settling on the Sobbat Phasebreaker 2, it does chewy, but you can find some great watery, shimmery sounds in there too....

I like the Maxon PT-999 as well, it seems to get along with other pedals, OD , fuzz, etc, better than any other phaser I've tried.

I'd like to give the Tonefactor Nebula a try, and there's also a recent thread here somewhere about the new Electro-Harmonix pedals coming soon, some mighty interesting phasers in that lineup!

19. SteveR

SteveR Member

I just ordered the Psilocybe today, thanks in large part to Fatback's video clips. Should be here in a couple of days.

Steve