Phat Cats in a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Jan 30, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Anybody tried this? Thanks.

2. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

I helped a friend of mine install one in the bridge of his LP. It's a cool p/up, he likes it a lot.

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I had them installed in a boat anchor like 2001 Standard that I had some years ago. The guitar was always wicked bright, but it sounded great w/ these pickups. I kind of wish I would have kept them and sold the guitar with the Duncan 59/Antiquity combo that was originally in it.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

should i give these a try, or look at gibson p94's if i want the p90?

5. rastus

rastus Member

I've heard em both, and preferred the Seymours, they just seemed more articulate and better clean or distorted, but they were in 2 different guitars, so maybe my choice had some to do with that. But, they both were semihollow imports, pretty similar in most respects.

6. auffredou

auffredou Member

7. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Love 'em! I'm partial to traditional soapbar P90's and when I had my Love Rock, I made the switch to Phat Cats and was very happy with them. I didn't really liked the P94 I tried, but it was in a LP Jr., bridge only, and I usually use bridge+neck or neck only so it wasn't a fair trial.

8. maggles

maggles Member

I don't have the Cats in an LP, but in two other, very different guitars. Both neck and bridge in a cheap Yamaha Tele copy (Pacifica) and neck of a Gibson L4-CES. Even though these guitars sound different as night and day, the Cats have in common that in both, they are great at picking up the natural sound of the guitar. The Yamaha is a rocker and the L4 sounds a lot like Peter Berstein's expensive Zeidler archtop.

Andy

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Not in an LP but in a Hamer SATF. Both have a nice tone. The neck is big and jazzy and the bridge has a crisp attack without the ice pick Tele thing. With O/D, neck is warm and the bridge has some growl. Different from the Gibson soap bars I've heard/tried.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

me again ... from your other post about buying the strat standard ... the guitar I put them in is very similar to a Les Paul .... 1980 Ibanez Artist. Only real difference is it's a double cutaway. Everything else is pretty much the same as a Les Paul ... including the weight! As I mentioned, they worked out very well.

11. auffredou

auffredou Member

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Phat Cats sound cool...The P94's do not

13. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have a set thats either going in my McCarty, or a LP Studio when it arrives.

14. mignano

mignano Supporting Member

My dad has one in the bridge of his Hamer, paired with a '59 in the neck.

The output/mid response of the Phat Cat is very similar to a humbucker, and so they pair up well.

I think it sounds kickass - very "snarly". not overly twangy or bright