Phat Cats users: Do they REALLY do the P-90 thing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fellsilver, May 3, 2008.

1. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Just a quick question... there is currently a bit of a P-90 gap in my life. I don't have the funds for a new guitar, and I'm just wondering how close the Duncan Phat Cats come to the real deal. I know they're single coils and all, but do they REALLY sound like P-90's???? Anyone out there A/B'd 'em with actual soapbars?

2. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

YES - absolutely. It's a great sounding pickup, really sounds like a P-90. I was so impressed I ended up putting them in a few of my guitars... although I have to say I like the results from the neck pickups better than the bridge... using a Phat Cat in the bridge makes me wish the pickup was moved a smidge toward the neck.

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

how's the noise factor on them?

4. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

Good deal, virtual toad! Hmmm... is the neck thing possibly the result of Duncan's calibration of bridge models? I know I've found his bridge PU's always a bit overwound sounding... I usually like the neck models better in the bridge... wonder if two neck models would do it. BTW-- Keep up the good work: Toadworks RAWKS!!!

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

I have Phat Cats in my Hamer Newport and they sound fantastic can do the P90 thing very well.

6. dr.barlo

dr.barlo Member

One of the best pickups out there. Comparing them to real p90s is sort of impossible, because a pickup swap cannot be done and it cannot be tested in the same guitar.

Yet, my feeling when I am comparing to my set of Lollar p90s, is that they are a little bit more polite, and thick sounding. But that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I like them more than the Rio Grande bastards and Gibson p94s. Harmonic Design's z90's were close, but I would take the Duncan's because of the a2s, which I love.

BTW my bridge measures 8.90K (in fact I opened it up and tapped it, and added a few more turns... 8.90 and 10.50K - #42 PE was what I used). I love that pickup. The necks a bit hot. I would rather get them ~7.00K or at most 7.20K. You certainly can try using two neck pickups, but I have to confess that I don't think that's such a good idea. My 8.90K bridge is already very alive, very clear and is not dull or anything. Thus, if you were to use a 7.50K p90 in the bridge (of course you middle position wouldn't be humcancelling anymore) it could be almost like a tele pickup. Not that it is a bad thing, I love teles. But is that what you really want?

B

7. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

About what you'd expect. With ODs it's pretty noisy, not to bad clean.

8. virtualtoad

virtualtoad Member

It's not that - but looking at me SG (with actual P-90s) and my LP (with Phat Cats), the bridge pickup in the SG is about 1/4" farther away from the bridge. I suspect that makes a difference.