Phil Kubicki P Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by spikeRI, Feb 12, 2019.

1. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

I got married in '85, my wife had this (we thought) Fender P Bass Copy............she played it a year or so, then kids came and it went into a closet. This weekend I got curious to see if it had any value selling parts (was hoping the neck was a real fender etc). When I opened it up I found the neck stamped Phil Kubicki Guitars San Jose (or something) CA............6/82. The thing looks exactly like a P Bass. Has Fender tuners, Bad ass II bridge and Scecthner (sp) pick ups. Neck is maple and body is Finished in a Blue/green Mary kay type finish. I good shape except some marks from sitting on a stand for 20 years. Anybody know anything about these? Going to sell eventually and not going to try to get rich...........I saw some on ebay, but were all fretless, this one has frets. Please let me know (where I can get more info) or PM me.
    Thanks, Randy

HelloKittyHawk! likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Were the fretless ones you see for sale modded by having frets yanked out or originally fretless?

3. spikeRI

they appeared to be made like that (guitar player, not a bass guy)
    They had big price tags also.................looked (except for color) identical to mine except the fretless neck (also was rosewood, not maple)

4. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

I remember seeing some "Philip Kubicki California" branded Strats and Teles at Sam Ash in the early-'80s. I've never seen (or even heard of) any Fender-style basses, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they built some. They used to make very high-end Fender clones with premium parts, like super highly flamed maple necks, Duncan pickups (which were boutique back then), and brass hardware.

Kubicki actually worked for Fender in the '60s and had a role in designing/building their semi-hollow guitars (Coronas and Thinlines). He built George Harrison's rosewood "Let It Be" Tele and John Fogerty's "Slugger" guitar. So, it's surprising that his Fender clones don't seem to command all that much money in the vintage guitar world. Old Charvels generally command higher prices, even though those Kubickis were a lot nicer.

Having said all that, Kubicki also sold tons and tons of replacement necks in the '80s. I don't know who actually built them: I'm assuming they were farmed out. So, there are probably a lot more "partscasters" with Kubicki necks out there than genuine, handmade Kubicki guitars.

5. spikeRI

good stuff, thanks
    This one might be a partcaster thing also.........has a stamp on the neck, but only the "blue green" written in the neck pocket (saw a body on reverb that had the same stamp mine has on the neck). I do know the year part is right since we have had since 85 and my wife bought in either late 83 or early 84. Taking it next week to a shop in Houston (Fullers), that should have some better info

6. edro

edro Member

THE Rosewood Tele from way back ring a bell? ;)

Phil (Fender and after) built a lot of hand made custom necks and 'some' complete guitars/basses.... Later (late 80s?) he went custom designed headless basses....

If he built the body, there would most likely be his stamp in the pocket as on the neck with a separate serial number. I've a custom order build Tele ('83) Phil built for a bud of mine back then. It is an incredible build, brass, 15" ebony, flame neck, insane wiring for the time with a 5way and a toggle, SD was a couple doors down and did the pickups for that guitar...

I would suggest hanging on to it for a while... PK stuff is climbing in value as more folks run across his stuff... He was incredible craftsman and designer....

fretless likes this.
  7. spikeRI

no stamp on the body, was stamped in the neck...........................body has handwritten "blue/green". Also no serial #...........I'm thinking more and more its a "parts" build

8. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

It is.

Regarding the speculation that Kubicki farmed out their replacement parts manufacturing (which was their bread & butter; they didn't really produce a lot of complete guitars), they were all produced in-house. Kubicki wasn't a one-man operation - he had a team of employees, and -although they definitely produced many stunning, highly figured parts, they actually positioned themselves -as per their literature of the time- as a somewhat more affordable alternative to some of their contemporaries, in the replacement parts business.

Let's see this bass!

edro likes this.
  9. spikeRI

send me an email address and I will send you some pictures, I tried your contact button........said was full

10. edro

edro Member

Here's my 83 PK Tele... Not shabby at all...

[​IMG]

fretless likes this.
  11. spikeRI

very nice.......wanna trade LOL

edro likes this.