Phil Spector - Covid strikes again

wombat66

I acknowledge the magnificence of his early productions. But I felt he was old fashioned, irrelevant and obsolete the moment the Beatles hit the scene. Why various beatles wanted to use him later in their careers is beyond me. His appearance in Easy Rider was the first modern mass media depiction of a coke head that I know of. Seems fitting.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
He was a true visionary and influenced so much of popular music. I respect him for his early work. As for what happened later in life, many of us are flawed individuals. He was convicted and paid his debt.

RIP Phil

seajay

I feel nothing regarding his death.

But I both like and dislike his work. Ronettes are great of course. I actually like his stuff with the Ramones and All Things Must Pass.

But Righteous Brothers? Great singers but it's so murky production-wise. Long & Winding Road? Spector's strings turn it into schmaltz.

GulfportBound

He was a gifted man and a monstrous man. (Anyone who thinks suicide's impact is minimal should study the life of this man who was ten when his debt-riddled father committed suicide.)

And I still think this is the best example of what he could do with artists who didn't take his crap and actually asserted themselves when they worked together. It is a pity that he didn't pay close attention to this song's lyrics, though:

GulfportBound

But Righteous Brothers? Great singers but it's so murky production-wise.
You could say the Righteous Brothers got even in good time---when they decided to leave Spector's Philles label in favour of Verve Records, Spector sold their entire Philles catalog to Verve . . . and the due went into the studio, where Bill Medley fashioned a Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil song into hit that was a near-exact answer to "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" . . . right down to the cleaner Wall of Sound . . .

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
TMZ is saying he died from Covid complications, and they are pretty reliable, but they're qualifying it with "we're told... " Other outlets are simply saying the CA Dept of Corrections hasn't given a cause of death yet.

Trending Topics