Phil X - living teh dream

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Aug 5, 2019.

1. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    His YouTube channel along with Pete Thorn's collaborative channel (Tim and Pete) is awesome as well...

Gig Young and 67blackcherry like this.
  2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

No hard and fast rules, each one is different – some go on way longer than you think at the beginning that they ever will! Others, you know it’s like a set five month stint and that’s going to be it. But when you can feel that the artist is going to want to take a break, or change direction, or retire… That’s when you need to start looking, and it’s best to do that before the gig is over. Because everybody always thinks you’re working! They think oh he’s got a great gig he’s out of town, he’s not available. You have to let people know, like hey I’m starting to get the vibe that I should be looking...

Airoz, Layne-o, stevenymets and 3 others like this.
  3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Makes sense...how do you let other artists know you will soon be available? Simple networking? Thanks for the time, btw, I know you're a busy guy.

4. John Hurtt

Tim is a great player, no doubt. However, I've found it doesn't pay to assume what musicians can/can't do and without knowing for sure. Sambora was/is known for playing to the song...and he got lots of props back in his day for having that "oh wow" factor that you find missing.

5. Wino67

Wino67 Supporting Member

Pete, I have ZERO to add to this conversation. Just want to say I effing love your playing.

6. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

We’ll agree to disagree.
    What wasn’t missing at the Bon Jovi concert I attended back in the late 80s was lots and lots of good looking women.
    For a guy in his mid-20s it was a very good night indeed, I had a blast and met a very nice girl I ended up dating for several months.

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Hey thanks! I steal my licks from my Canadian bro Phil, haha!

8. murraythek

murraythek Member

Phil is a good ole Canadian boy through and through.

Lef T and Gig Young like this.
  9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

That could very well be, but I'm pretty sure JBJ is raking in the dough and then paying everybody else. I'm sure those dudes are making great money, especially Torres and Bryan, but make no mistake, Bon Jovi is JBJs band and he controls it top to bottom. Not that it really matters. I'm sure it's a fantastic gig no matter what!

10. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Even if it eventually falls over, Phill X now has a brilliant CV, 150 stadium gigs as lead, rhythm guitar, backing vocals, tons of great video of him as a performer. He'll get more great gigs after this one for sure, and he seems like great guy who deserves it.

monty and Gig Young like this.
  11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I didn't even know that Hugh was finally brought into the fold. Glad to hear it... he earned that many years ago.

12. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Supporting Member

best part - when he joins the band mid tour and shows up a day late. No matter how big the band is, even if it is stadium level, there will be a night where someone doesn't show up and the other people have to cover the parts. In that case, Jon Bon Jovi has to play rhythm guitar all night.

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Phil X's power is all in his awesome hair.

14. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Aren't you guys technically known as the "Disciples of Eddie" based on that GuitCon video? ;)

15. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I find Phil X to be the total package of personality, professionalism, talent, and a down-to-earth real person.
    I am very happy that he is doing so well, and I hope his good fortune follows him throughout his entire life. He deserves it.

16. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Always enjoyed him with Fretted Americana and am happy for his success. Bon Jovi isn’t my thing, but what an experience and what a gig, nonetheless.

17. cabkab

cabkab Supporting Member

Crazy, Bon Jovi is the 6th richest rock star in the world at about $410 mil. Had no idea.

18. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

We were booked to play a show with Phil on August 16, but he had to cancel because of Bon Jovi commitments.

It bailed me out of a jam though, because I have tickets to take my wife to see Nonpoint, which is one of our favorite bands.

19. John Hurtt

You could easily be right, I have no insider info. All the best for Phil, everything points to him being a deserving guy.

20. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

In my original post #19, I forgot to mention that after meeting Phil X a couple times, not only did he remember my name and email me, but he also: gifted me one of his signature Framus guitars, and his Friedman amp. I mean, he is a hell of a guy, for sure.

Love Phil X.

I have also met another great guitarist of Canadian origin, pictured below. He was super nice, but afterwords, I didn't receive any of the stuff Phil X provided.

But there is still time to make things right, sinasl1.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Omega, JimmyB, Bankston and 7 others like this.