Philips 12AX7 opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jspax7, Oct 7, 2006.

1. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I have 3 Philips 12AX7's. 2 are identical. One says 12AX7 ecc83 in white lettering. the "twin" has a REAL logo. I got this from a REAL TUBE pedal.

Smooth long plates. The center of the plate is wider on both of these.

One says JAN 12AX7WA Philips ECG in green lettering. The center of the plate is narrow.

Any opinions on the origin, gain, and tone would be appreciated.

Sorry, no digital camera,... yet.

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I have teh WAs.

Sounded great in my Fenders, Pro reverb, Super Reverb, Prosonic, sound ok in my marshall, and decent in my vox copy.

I thought they handled gain well. Sound godo with pedals, a little trebly in my jcm800, and kind of flat in my vox copy.

Bryan

3. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Hey Brian. Thanks for the input. BTW, did you get the payment for the Strat assembly yet?

Jim

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

JAN Phillips GE's are GREAT preamp tubes. I run several of them in some of my giging Fenders. They are very balanced tubes,and sound very even accross the tonal spectrum. I really need to get hold of some more so I can have back ups.:)

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Check out this Philips code Rosetta stone to figure out whachya got. http://www.audiotubes.com/mullcode.htm

If those long plates are the Herleen made ones they're some of the finest ever made, also some of my favorites.

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Thanks for that info. I met a guy today that sells "pulls" and he was talking about the codes. I didn't know what he meant but now I do.

$25 for a Amperex Bugle Boy or Mullard 12ax7 a good deal?

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I got 5 on it. =p

Edit: yes that's a great deal IMO. Get some for your buddy though eh? =)

8. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Thanks for the info. The symbol at the bottom appears to indicate Yugoslavia origin.

I did a lot of tube swapping and playing today. It's interesting that while I like the NOS RCA in V1 of my Fuchs, (for clean tones- this is a remarkably complex sounding tube) it does affect my choice for V2.

Almost all of my other NOS tubes are darker sounding, which is good because I don't care for icepick lead tones, especially with my Strat.

There's something about the RCA, that keeps me coming back to it for V1. Compared to my other tubes, there seems to be 3 distinct frequencies, (high, mid and bass) where other tubes exhibit lower mids that get lost in the bass, or upper mids that are too close to the highs.

All 3 Philips tubes are more suited to the OD channel for my tastes.

Tomorrow, the PI tube test.

9. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

:AOK
    Sounds like you're havin fun. Those Yugos are probably early Ei's, another favorite of mine. I agree though- RCAs are excellent. They seem to provide more bass than most any tube out there to my ears, but are also fairly balanced and sweet. None of my amps have the same preamp tube in V1: it's all about matching the right tubes to the amp. And it can be a fun journey. Enjoy! :AOK

10. sandman

sandman Member

Those Yugos are Ei's for sure...IIRC they used Philips equipment.They're impossible to find here in Serbia(ex-Yugoslavia).

I found Philips 12ax7 to be a bit too 'polite' in my Twin but a really nice, smooth, not too trebly sounding.I prefer Telefunkens since they to me feel tighter in mids and Siemens for a 3D full and clear treb-mid-bass range and nice but full sparkle.Now I sound like those guys on internet forums :)

Have fun!

11. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I believe EI used the tooling and materials from Telefunken when they went down IIRC. They have smooth plates and look very similar, but they don't sound the same to me. That's kinda odd that they can't be found there where they were made, but they're pretty good tubes and probably favored there huh?

12. sandman

sandman Member

Yeah, people used to like 'em. But I believe they were basically exported abroad...