• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Phillip Upchurch '72

Creighton

My Dad had this album in his vinyl collection, check out this guy's take on 'cold sweat'. The whole album is awesome, especially 'what we call the blues' and 'love and peace'.

teleman55

I believe he was a Chess session guy in their later years. So was the guy who formed Earth Wind and Fire.

tophatdad

IMHO, this is a great guitar record. I especially like Inner City Blues. Who knew a Coronado could sound so good! LOL!

Upchurch did a lot of work with Benson and with Donny Hathaway. He also wrote the R&B classic You Can't Sit Down.

Best,
Mike

RickC

Yeah, a huge cat - a musician's musician. His son is Sean Rickman, also a multi-instrumentalist with an impressive list of credits.

/rick

Rex Anderson

Saw him live at "Ruby Gulch", a small club in Champaign, IL around 1974. Really dug him, great player.

On a side note, saw Jean-Luc Ponty with Daryl Stuermer around the same time in that same club. Whoa....

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
Yeah, a huge cat - a musician's musician. His son is Sean Rickman, also a multi-instrumentalist with an impressive list of credits.

/rick
Sean and I were at Montgomery College in Rockville MD. together..We were both Music Performance Majors. He was a beast in '90 on pretty much any instrument you could name. We all hung out a fair amount way back- I found out that his pops was PU from a mutual friend.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
My very first NAMM show in about '73, at McCormick Place we ran into Phil wearing those same clothes, in the parking garage, before we even got into the hall. It was awesome!
I'm totally fried on NAMM now, (old and jaded) but back then when I was 16 or so, it was the bomb.
I have that album on vinyl.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I had that album as well. Great record! I sold a bunch of records when I got a CD player. Wish I'd kept that one, but thanks for reminding me about it. it's not on i-tunes, so I'll have search to find it again.

I dig it. I passed on a copy of the record Darkness Darkness maybe a year ago because it was around $20. Though looking back on it I sort of wish I bought it because I haven't seen another one since. I have most, but not all, of the other records that Phil Upchurch made in the 1970s and 1980s. I haven't yet got a copy of Upchurch.

I am pretty sure that when I saw BB King in the mid-1970s Phil Upchurch was playing rhythm on a Les Paul Signature. On one of those shows Bobby Bland opened and his guitar players were Mel Brown and Wayne Bennett.

RickC

Sean and I were at Montgomery College in Rockville MD. together..We were both Music Performance Majors. He was a beast in '90 on pretty much any instrument you could name. We all hung out a fair amount way back- I found out that his pops was PU from a mutual friend.
Very cool. So did he ever talk about his dad?

/rick

Trending Topics

Top Bottom