Philosophical Breaking Bad Poll (Spoilers likely)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by kiwicanuck, Jan 20, 2015.

1. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

If you've seen all or most of the Breaking Bad series I'd like you to give me your "gut feel" poll answer. No bickering and this isn't a research thing, I just think too much.

2. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Great TV show.

As for the drug - meth has been in and around my social circles since high school, but I will never, ever dabble in it. No amount of TV influence could sway me from my position. In fact i've walked away from most of my social circles to avoid the implication of dealing with insufferable addicts. Life is complicated enough without extending compassion to those emotionally zombified by hard drugs.

3. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

The show is more focused on the violence and business that surrounds drug production...not about taking drugs themselves. In no way does Breaking Bad glorify drug use.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

They don't really show many tweakers, things are pretty focused on Walt and his shenanigans.

5. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

True, but the couple that stole Skinny Pete's stash and had an ATM in their house would be enough to discourage me from meth.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Anyone who's already educated on the horrors of meth won't have their perspective changed by Breaking Bad. For the uneducated, I'd have to think the effect would be away from meth use, since all the portrayals of users (like Tuco, Wendy, and the ATM machine couple) are extremely negative.

7. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Hmm...no change for me, no exposure to meth.

But I do hanker for blow when I see people doing it in movies or in expose news shows or whatever. I would be a coke addict if it wasnt for the fact that I come down off it crying like a little girl. :cry:

8. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

I've never been exposed to it either and would never even consider it, but I think in some way that series has made me even more sure. I like to think that if my life turned to crap and I got in a situation where it was right in front of me that could be the difference.

9. shane88

shane88 Member

as WW surely knows - meth is for making, not using

10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Did watching Gunsmoke make me more likely to get in a shoot out? Does watching Jaws make me more likely to fear huge sharks?

Wait a minute....

11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

+ Eleventy.

To the OP, I don't think anyone on any level thought Breaking Bad would make anybody more likely or less likely to use meth. The overwhelming number of those who are likely to try meth and use it more than a couple times aren't likely to glean any insight from a lecture, news story, TV show or movie about the generally awfulness of getting involved in meth and those that are very aware of said general awfulness aren't likely to have it romanticized by a TV show.

That's my take, anyway.

12. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I voted "No Change" because I was never going to do meth regardless. Breaking Bad certainly doesn't glamorize any aspect of drug use. Sure, Walt makes gobs of money but look where it gets him in the end.

I think maybe the more interesting question would be "has Breaking Bad had a positive or negative impact on the manufacture of meth?".

13. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

There might be some armchair chemists that think if would be cool to set up a bitchin' high tech meth lab...for a minute or two.

Considering all the beat downs and death and life ruination evidenced in the show it's hard to romanticize it too much.

Now, the massive stacks of cash might be a draw for some!

14. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

It certainly made me realize chemists are badasses.

15. cottonmike

cottonmike Member

Hey, there's a good point nobody ever talks about.

**** is brutal when the feeling starts to leave you.

I was told it was worse because I didn't drink alcohol.

16. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

And that's the wonderful irony ... the Whites have pallet-fuls of cash and can't spend it! Laundering all that money becomes a full-time job.

17. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Less likely I say.

Breaking Bad shows the ugly truth about methamphetamine, rather than glamourise it.
    I still feel that Walter White became the drug that he made.

I have researched about its production from a curiosity perspective, but my chemistry background has maintained my safety concern about it.

While I have never taken methamphetamine, I have smelt it (it's horrible), and I have had people close to me who are so deeply entrenched in it that I just can't go near them anymore.