Phish

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by josh_michael, Mar 29, 2015.

1. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

I'm somewhat familiar with them, but I probably couldn't name you but a song or two off the top of my head. Every now again I'll flip on a show on YouTube just for background on my computer. But where do I start?

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

A Live One is a good starting point. It has a little bit of everything.

3. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I was going to say "Hampton Comes Alive"

4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

That one is good but maybe a little overwhelming for an introduction.

ALO is like Fillmore east or band of gypsys in that it is a curated snapshot of a band firing on all cylinders. Benchmark versions of important songs and not too far out for the casual listener (save the 30 minute avant garde tweezer which still can give a taste for what they were capable of). It doesn't have the weird fishman songs etc that may clog up a first listen and all the performances are flawless.

12/31/95 is also an official release that can get you there. Slip, Stitch, and Pass kicks all kinds of ass, as well.

5. MisterBuddy

MisterBuddy Member

Hi Josh:

Phish from about 1990-1993 was all about incredibly virtuosic, melodic jams that stayed well within the confines of any given song's progression combined with a sort of effusive, zappaesque goofiness. The guitar tones are to die for imho.

Between 1994 and 1996, the jams become considerably more extensive, with a single song being woven through an entire set's worth of music. It was still incredibly tight in both composition and execution, but considerably more out there. A Live One and 12/31/95 are a good snapshot of this period.

Between 1997 and 1998, the band changed emphasis quite dramatically, leaving behind the blistering riffs and a lot of the goofiness for a more groove-oriented and texturally-layered funk. 1997 also featured a lot of Hendrix-style riffage interspersed with the funkiness. By 1998, the jams started to become more ambient. If you plug Island Tour into youtube, you'll see this style at its highest point.

1999-2000 Phish became quite trance-like as funk grooves smoothed out into looping drones and minimalistic jams. You also start to notice the baleful influence of drug abuse in the sloppy execution of some of the more complex compositions. I'd try listening to the Fukuoka show from 2000 for a sampling of what this era showcased.

Phish was on hiatus between late 2000 and the last day 2002, and, honestly, the stuff from 2003-2004 is so dark, and of such variable quality, that it's not the best place for a neophyte to dip in to.

I'm a little too tired to list off shows by date right now, but I hope that the obove thumbnail to helps you narrow down what you might be looking for: funky or fiery? tight or loose? electrifying or ambient?

Enjoy the trip!

kwaves99 likes this.
  6. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into some of the suggestions. One thing I'm not into at all which I realize Phish and other jam bands do sometimes is the sort of goofy or cheeky stuff. But I'm definitely into extended jams, ambient, and just some good songs to get started on.

7. iaresee

iaresee Member

You can download free samplers, called the Live Bait series, from https://www.livephish.com/ -- they provide some nice, curated choices from their live shows over the decades.

Volume 10 is the latest and you can work your way back from there using the links on the lower right side of the page.

And these are all excellent shows:

That should get you started. :D

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Some nice choices! I was at 8/7/93, 12/31/95, 7/22/97, and 1/2/2003!

9. JackStrawForbin

JackStrawForbin Member

6/11/94
    12/11/97

These are my two favorites. 6/11/94 has perfect versions of each song played while 12/11/97 just shreds. Enjoy

10. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Slip, Stitch, and Pass is some good ****, you should check that one out as well.

11. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

12. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

In a nut shell, this is pretty spot on. Nice job! :)

13. iaresee

iaresee Member

This is an excellent summary of their arc. I'll add that 2013-2014 have been a total rebirth for the band. There's a bit of the ambience and a bit of the straight-up jam rock stuff in there now. The entire 2014 tour legs were stellar. Can't go wrong working backwards from the early past.