Phish's Trey Anastasio upped his tone game?

bigEbeer

Trey's scene in that documentary is pretty uncomfortable. I haven't listened to the resulting track since it came out but I remember not liking it very much and being surprised due to the personnel. The doc explains a lot about that.

Even though there are some halfway decent Jams/moments that came out of 2.0 I pretty much stick to 1.0 & 3.0. I'm just so happy my favorite band in the world is still playing shows, happy and sober. I loved watching them smile (even mike) on New Years. Such a treat. Next summer can't come soon enough!

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
I make my points to save people money that they don't need to spend. I'm responsible about what I say is fact. Just sayin'. It's not my fault people want to lead others astray.

Is this more about how the critical ingredient for sustain is an archtop guitar? Doing that party trick in a little room is cool, but do you have any idea why Mr. Anastasio himself can't always do it with a (presumably) similar guitar wherever he plays?
:confused:

I was thinking maybe it was this:
The YEM note has always been a combo of a tube screamer and a lead amp channel. Hence, the struggles he has with it using an amp without a high gain lead channel. Besides the fact that he hasn't really had 30+ years of tweaking on this current rig.

Now you show it on a clean channel with low gain? What's your point?
o_O

ssmug

Gold Supporting Member
I think I speak for everyone else in this thread when I say, why don't you just go away.
You don't, thanks.

There are plenty of threads where there are people trolling or just asserting things out of nowhere whose antics are tiresome. PhamLeeBerzerker not only presents reasonable opinions backed up by evidence, but he actually puts his money where his mouth is and posts a video (and not for the first time, either), something 99% of people on this whole forum are afraid to do, let alone most Languedoc owners here, whose recording setup are mysteriously and conveniently never working when asked for clips or are always sorry for the messy playing.

I say, bravo, PhamLee.

stuco

I think Trey's tone as of late is very nice overall but I do feel like he gave up a little in the way of clarity vs his previous setup.

iaresee

I think Trey's tone as of late is very nice overall but I do feel like he gave up a little in the way of clarity vs his previous setup.
I'm finally getting around to listening to the NYE run. Just on 12/28 now and the tone is certainly...bigger. There's this fuzzy fullness to it that wasn't ever there before. Half The Way to the Moon sounded really nice with this tone, but I didn't think Prince Caspian worked that well with this tone.

Curious to see how it evolves over the run of the shows.

iaresee

A huge thank you to you ssmug. It's not easy to stand up against a crowd of people that are trying to discredit you. I'm here as a public service to all the other players out there on a budget. Years ago I had been fooled by some of the opinions being tossed around out here. I got tricked into thinking that Analogman ts9 silvers were the trick before building my guitar. After the fact I had the chance to a/b them against standard ts9's only to find out that it was possible with both. Personally preferring, taking nothing away from the quality of the AM silver, the classics ts9's I decided to sell my AM silvers. I ended up taking a $250 loss on the deal.
Around the time I built my guitar I had been also convinced that Trey had only ever used Seymour Ducan pick ups. After debating with a member, headyjamfan, I had the opportunity to hear some sound bytes were he proved that the golden age pick ups in his Artinger archtop were in fact the pick ups of the "glory days". I put a set in my guitar, and was impressed. I tried to reach out to him to right my wrong, but I'm not sure he's still active here. However, he was right and I was wrong and I'm man enough to admit that. After that, I decided not to post anything that I couldn't back up myself. I feel that is the only responsible thing to do. I represent no company and am not trying to sell anyone anything. I also don't desire any popularity on Phish lot, which is why I didn't use my real name. Thanks again.

p.s. "I'm sorry I had a fight in the middle of everybody's Black Panther party."
Look, there's a lot you say that I agree with it (I do think the guitar is the lynchpin in Trey's rig). But man, you are so hell bent on winning every conversation that it's off putting beyond belief. You want people to acknowledge what you're saying? Consider how you present your opinions and thoughts to them. It matters. I know you like to paint yourself the victim here, but you reap what you sow. And your belligerent, right-at-all-costs-everyone-else-is-stupid-and-I'm-so-smart prose really does you no favours whatsoever. You have tunnel vision when it comes to how art is made. There's always more than one way to skin the cat, so to speak.

If we're quoting movies, you veer dangerously close to a choice Big Lebowski quote I love...

Last edited:

iaresee

The tone was working great on Wingsuit and Possum from Night 1. Possum, in particular, was slippery country goodness.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
knocknoff the bickering and personal attacks. If someone annoys you put them on ignore and move along

JCM 800

I apologize for my part in this. I came here with good intentions. I wanted to see if anyone had expirience with the H&K Tube Factor. Instead I found a completely different sort of forum taking place. It personally bothers me to see an injustice take place. I just wanted to try to correct some misconceptions. For now on, I'll just let everyone wade through the opinions themselves. I've made my point about where facts can be found. I'll get out of the way. Carry on.

"Injustice"? Please.....

jkendrick

I apologize for my part in this. I came here with good intentions. I wanted to see if anyone had expirience with the H&K Tube Factor. Instead I found a completely different sort of forum taking place. It personally bothers me to see an injustice take place. I just wanted to try to correct some misconceptions. For now on, I'll just let everyone wade through the opinions themselves. I've made my point about where facts can be found. I'll get out of the way. Carry on.
I speak only for myself, but I've appreciated your contributions to this thread until it went off the rails. I think it started because you perceived people attacking you that,IMO, simply weren't. There is so much going on in Trey's signal chain to say tht any one thing is absolutely responsible for anything is tough to digest. Your videos and insights are helpful. But so too are those of others. AFAIK no one is disputing your results; but the jury is still out as far as what the compressor does for Trey. I, for one, agree that compression plays a role in the electronic sustain (as opposed to the natural sustain that would be heard from an acoustic instrument). But I also think the hollowbody is a big source of the so-called sympathetic resonance. I don't understand much about the physics of these things, but I think there's room for discussion without the vitriol.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom