• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Phoenix Lost a Legend today....

glaswerks

Robert Turner, owner of Bizzare Guitar in Phoenix arizona passed away today. (1951-2015).

He was the local prevayor of vintage guitars since 1976. I knew Bob from 1977 to current. Crazy guy, but a great dealer to buy quality instruments. Bought my 64 Vibroverb from him in 1977-78 tiemframe and a new PRS custom 24 in around 1996.

Bob will be missed by the Arizona music community.

RIP my Friend.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
Sorry for the loss. Too young. I am only 41 but old just keeps being further away the older I get.

Atomic Punk

I bought a bunch of gear from Bob in the 80s and 90s, including my #1 to this day '88 RG550. He used to buy a bunch of ringside tickets whenever the WWF was in town and he and his 'crew' would come in wearing Bizarre Guitar shirts.

glaswerks

Gary,

Wow didn't know. Was Bob sick? RIP

Duke I don't know all the details. My son told me this morning. It is posted on the Bizzare Guitar FB page as well.

Looked on google for a reference, but did not see one.

nater9

Dang.... didn't know that... I bought my Gibson Songwriter Deluxe from his shop (not him personally), but the bald guy (sorry forget his name).

Probably the best shop in town to shop guitars...

Dr.Twang!

Gold Supporting Member
Turner story: I moved to PHX in 1976 out of High School. Bob's first shop was on Indian School at 16st. Pretty small. Steven Shade was his repair guy.
In 77 traded a 68 335 to an old guy for a near mint 1963 candy apple strat-straight across. He had bought it for his son who never played it and he wanted to have a semi hollow.
I ROUTED THE STRAT FOR A HI-A bridge humbucker...just wasn't a strat guy....still in therapy for that one and what happened next.
Bob had a brand new reissue Explorer that I had to have...I traded him for that and a SS 100w Marshall head.....Kansas was playing them at the time.......
He plugged the gash in that beautiful strat, slapped a new pickguard on it and sold it to SOMEBODY on tour going thru town. Bob sold stuff to all the acts when they were in PHX.
Bob loved his Ferrari Quattrovalvole and the Rock and Roll! He was a mean player in the day with his band "The Bats". Great memories from a great time! Rest in peace, Bob

Last edited:

noodleboy

My story is not so positive. My girlfriend at the time bought me a D18 from Bob at the Indian School location with the proviso that he produce a Martin Hard Shell case. After 3 weeks of calls to Bob to inquire as to the whereabouts on my case(I was given many excuses such as "Martin is closed down for maintenance) I called and Bob told me, "I don't care about you or your F-ING case". I thanked him for his time and went downtown and filed a small claims court claim against him. 3 days later he calls me and asked me what I was doing? I told him,"we had a deal and you failed to live up to it. Somehow he was able to find me a case in his backroom and I picked it up later that day. Some people in this business have scruples some don't. Unfortunately my experience with Bob was not so good. I do however wish his family and friends my condolences. I'm not a complete dick.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
It was a shock to hear. Bob did have some health issues but I don't know for sure what happened. The store is currently closed and will re-open later this week when they have had a chance to sort through things a bit. He was, and is a legend and I hope the store continues. It is one of the last independent Gibson dealers left.

glaswerks

Turner story: I moved to PHX in 1976 out of High School. Bob's first shop was on Indian School at 16st. Pretty small. Steven Shade was his repair guy.
In 77 traded a 68 335 to an old guy for a near mint 1963 candy apple strat-straight across. He had bought it for his son who never played it and he wanted to have a semi hollow.
I ROUTED THE STRAT FOR A HI-A bridge humbucker...just wasn't a strat guy....still in therapy for that one and what happened next.
Bob had a brand new reissue Explorer that I had to have...I traded him for that and a SS 100w Marshall head.....Kansas was playing them at the time.......
He plugged the gash in that beautiful strat, slapped a new pickguard on it and sold it to SOMEBODY on tour going thru town. Bob sold stuff to all the acts when they were in PHX.
Bob loved his Ferrari Quattrovalvole and the Rock and Roll! He was a mean player in the day with his band "The Bats". Great memories from a great time! Rest in peace, Bob

He also had a band called 180dB around the same time frame. And yes he loved his Ferrari's!!

glaswerks

It was a shock to hear. Bob did have some health issues but I don't know for sure what happened. The store is currently closed and will re-open later this week when they have had a chance to sort through things a bit. He was, and is a legend and I hope the store continues. It is one of the last independent Gibson dealers left.
Last time I spoke with Bob, he and I talked about the Gibson thing. I guess he took a different route to maintain his dealership status not exactly sure as he would not elaborate. I know that in Phoenix he was the last of the non-Big Box stores to be a Gibson Dealer.

Trending Topics