Photobucket hotlink fix!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ape Factory, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

This is for Chrome and Firefox, I've not found an extension for Safari yet.

Anyway, if you have the latest Firefox, download it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/ and install the extension. Make sure you have at least v.48 (latest one). Restart and all of the photo bucket links now work. F*ck you Photobucket!

Link for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/Photbucket hotlink fix?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Have an awesome weekend looking at Photobucket images.

lifeson1 and HTSMetal like this.
  2. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Member

This is great, but we should be encouraging users to move onto free and extremely link-friendly services like imgur.com.

3. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

Agree, Photobucket sucks on mobile devices. Eventually I'm going to move all photos worth keeping to Imgur and delete my Photobucket

your name here likes this.
  4. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I did that as well. :) Imgur’s much better.

Da Geezer likes this.
  5. garret

garret Member

Imgur convert as well.

6. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

flickr is my choice and is free. Photobucket sucks and is slow.

Lloyd_m and T92780 like this.
  7. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

No I absolutely agree (I'm squarely in the f*ck Photobucket camp) but if you're like me, and have thousands of images linked to various forum threads, there's no way I have the time to move all the images over to a new service and then go back to all my old threads and change the links out. This is simply a way to see older threads that may have Photobucket-linked photos.

I now use www.postimages.org and have moved almost everything over to that site. I do keep photos up on Photobucket just to mess with them.

ripgtr and sedawkgrep like this.
  8. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

Chances are your old threads pics are buried anyways and aren't showing up from suck bucket so I wouldn't worry about changing those out. However on my PC I will use the Photobucket link but not my tablet because like I said, Photobucket is horrible on mobile devices and for me, difficult to use. Used to be better but they screwed it up.

9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

about privacy with this addon in Firefox :
    I have both Google & Google Analytics scripts blocked here.
    the addon works perfectly nonetheless, it would be a godsend for me.

now somebody wrote it uses / reports to Google Analytics - now what does that mean ?
    can it still do that behind my back, bypassing noscript ?
    I'm only a web user, and this is beyond my paygrade, does anybody know more ?
    until that is cleared up, I only enable it on demand, for gear pix.

and apparently saving pix doesn't work, any workaround for that ?

so much trouble, only because a shady quasi-monopolist screws the entire world - may they rot in hell. :FM

oh well, let's fight back,
    Rhino

10. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Everyone just start using imgur. Photobucket is the internet explorer of hosting sites

11. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I've moved to imgur and am not going back. Despite the issue regarding embedding pics here, browsing at PB site had been annoying by itself. RIP PB.

12. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

When people actually use the search feature and find older threads, with still relevant information, they'll be able to look at the photos using the add-ons. That's my ONLY point. I get that no one wants to use Photobucket any longer. This is just a way to see the old photos that many, many users have posted over the years on multiple forums.

Rhino, concerning the privacy issue I don't have a really solid answer for that but I'll find out. I have a few coding friends that can look into it.

ProfRhino and dwoverdrive like this.
  13. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

thanks man, any info / thoughts would be very much appreciated !

and your point is right on target, that's me, 100% !
    I'm a total information junkie, and constantly researching something ...
    I like pretty guitar pics as much as anybody else, but the real loss are the hand drawn schematics, gutshots and these things you just can't find anywhere else ...

many thanks,
    Rhino

regarding privacy of the addon, obviously it has to scan pages I load, and can (probably will) keep track, maybe even submit the list to the Evil Googlymoogly.
    Guess the real question is, can they bundle any additional sensitive information with this, like IP, login data, history etc ?
    call me paranoid, but there are scary ways of assembling a detailed profile by combining several, individually trivial, tiny bits of info.
    I make a conscious effort to feed the vultures as sparingly as possible ... :anon

14. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Imgur is SO simple...I can't believe I ever messed with PB in the first place.
    Sorta like "What did I ever do without my smartphone".....it's that revolutionary compared to PukeBucket.
    Good riddance :wave