Photos of my new Xaviere XV-JT40 Sunburst...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pixelchemist, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pixelchemist

pixelchemist Member

So my wife picked up a JT40 for me for Christmas and I have been playing around with it for the last day or two... did a setup on it, changed out the strings, rolled the fretboard edges, did some nut work, cleaned up some fret ends, hit the neck with some steel wool, etc..

It's actually a suprising nice guitar... for the first time with an X it exceeded my expectations. I own two others (XV-910 and XV-620 both modded) and I have been happy with both but they were more or less what I expected them to be. This one is more guitar than I expected.

The trem works great and is super smooth, the tuners are nice, the fat neck feels great and the rosewood is of a much higher quality than the slab found on the 910...

First up... the whole guitar
    [​IMG]

next up... the backside and the contour... the finish is actually pretty damn nice no imperfections that I could find... nice even smooth surface... the grain isn't the best ever but its a good looking guitar, nice comfortable heel on the neck as well
    [​IMG]

next up... the bridge that has had alot of people asking questions... simple... but buzz free and very effective... this guitar (after some nut work) stays in tune very well even with heavy borderline abusive trem use.
    [​IMG]

next up.. the headstock and the new neck tint on Xavieres... much much more attractive than the previous crayola yellow... there is a knot in the headstock on this one but I realy don't mind it... i did hit the headstock with some steel wool too take the poly gloss off a bit...
    [​IMG]

next up the fretboard/frets.... i did a little bit of cleanup on it one fret that was a tiny bit rough surfaced but overall I didn't have to level it and haven't polished the frets yet... the wood was a little dry out of the box (but it spent a few days in the hands of UPS as well) a little lem-oil and it was as good as new... surprisingly no compound in the pores and no imperfections to be found... very smooth and uniform in color and texture.
    [​IMG]

two things thing i did do that improved the neck ten-fold was to hit the hole back of the thing pretty aggressively with 400, then 600, then steel wool to take the gloss off, thin up the finish a bit and and give it a really nice satin finish... then I rolled the fret edges up until about the 14th fret to make it more comfortable to hold (i love rolled edges and play thumb over alot) you can see the original edge up near the heel of the fretboard in this pic... also you will notice the slightly crooked 12 fret side markers
    [​IMG]

well thats it... hope those were helpful to anyone considering one... I am very happy with it.. it's not a high end guitar buy any means but it plays and sounds great...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Great write up. How's the action on the guitar? Is it possible to get it somewhat low?

3. pixelchemist

pixelchemist Member

i typically set up my guitars approx 1.4mm at the 12th fret (top of fret to bottom of string) give or take a little for neck radius and the specific guitar

this guitar was able to do that fine... it could go a bit lower probably but you would have to shim the neck a bit to get significantly lower the bridge can't go much lower without hitting the top of the pickgaurd.. it doesnt buzz at all at 1.4

4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

How's the pups sound?? I've only played a few P-90's that I liked.. some of them are too powerful or grainy sounding.

5. pixelchemist

pixelchemist Member

I like them... they are pretty punchy and dynamic they particularly great with a bit of boost... I am going to try and record a few clips tomorrow after work... I'll post them here if/when I do

6. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

thai sweet, neck back profile just to darn thin for me, lookin at the specs, they are .75 thick at first fret, Silly as it sounds I like at least a .80 to .880, getting old and slow, my hands need a thicker neck

7. popthree

popthree Member

thanks for taking the time to post pics and the write-up. i've been eyeballing these guitars myself... i was especially curious about the tremolo. it sure looks nice... the tobacco burst looks better in your pics than it does on the gfs website. i'm sort of liking that ash one.. or maybe the white one... or this one.. very nice.

i always meant to get around to purchasing one of those little squier cyclones..then they quit making them.. this guitar looks like a nicer piece of work than the cyclones though.