Physical Graffiti should have been a single album

Five Horizons

Silver Supporting Member
IMTOD should not ever be cut. That song is way too good to be considered filler.

Stone’s “Exile…” is one of my favorite records - I can’t imagine cutting that down.

Pumpkin’s “Mellon Collie…” - ok, you got me there. I’m sure I could condense down that to 1 CD and it would blow away everything else from the band’s discography.

wildschwein

It was an album with some leftover stuff on it. It's not my #1 Zep release but I have warmed to it more over the years. I still think some of the material doesn't really fire up as much as it could. I would argue they were past their peak of productivty at that point and although a monsterous double LP looks like they were at their zenith I don't think it's as great a creative endeavour as Exile On Main Street or a record like Tusk. It seems to me that they were at the Beatles Sgt Peppers stage of thinking the album itself should go on tour.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
r/ledzeppelin - Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same, Jimmy Page looking a bit spooky in my opinion

GTFOH!

I think the songs that were recorded in 1974 for Physical Graffiti fit quite well together.

The Rover, Houses of the Holy and Black Country Woman were HotH outtakes apparently so i put those on that album and take off the Crunge and D’yer Maker.

sunking101

The more times you play it the less the grade B songs stand out. It's a great double album with no stinkers.

Sometimes I think that people dom't give albums enough tume to sink in before they're off burning a CD with a new tracklist and running order (WTH).

jazzbludgeon

Something I don't understand is how Pink Floyd always gets a pass?
Because Floyd deliberately made concept albums, where certain musical themes would re-emerge throughout each album. It was implicitly understood that the smaller fragments supported the showpiece songs. In this regard, the Wall is perfect - there really is almost no filler. Set to film, the Wall makes total sense.
Zeppelin, on the other hand, never really made a concept album. Physical Graffiti is just a collection of songs spread over two LPs.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Because Floyd deliberately made concept albums, where certain musical themes would re-emerge throughout each album. It was implicitly understood that the smaller fragments supported the showpiece songs. In this regard, the Wall is perfect - there really is almost no filler. Set to film, the Wall makes total sense.
Zeppelin, on the other hand, never really made a concept album. Physical Graffiti is just a collection of songs spread over two LPs.
My comment was more towards thread, as in double albums.
Not so much the content.

Totally get what you are saying though.

Sometimes I think that people dom't give albums enough tume to sink in before they're off burning a CD with a new tracklist and running order (WTH).
I agree with this but Physical Graffiti is made up of material recorded over nearly 3 years, with a lot of cuts coming from sessions intended for previous albums. It’s also the first Led Zep release on their own record label which suggests to me that a double LP was put out using almost half old material (with most production costs already paid for) so the record label could be funded.

It’s amazing that the songs on it hang together as well as they do but some double or triple albums (Sandinista?) get a lot of discussion about being cut down. Especially when the collection of songs doesn’t seem like they come from a focussed place.

12TameMen

It’s also the first Led Zep release on their own record label which suggests to me that a double LP was put out using almost half old material (with most production costs already paid for) so the record label could be funded.

Kind of the opposite. Page wanted to do a double album as a grand statement to kick off Swan Song Records. Zeppelin were the #1 band in the world selling zillions of albums and breaking box office records. They didn't do it to save a buck.

If anything they spend way more on the cost of the album jacket than they needed to at the time.

Plant hanging in front of the NYC building used for the PG cover.

led-zeppelin-Physical-Graffiti-new-york-st-marks-robert-plant-2012.jpg

robert-plant-physical-gaffitea-graffiti-st-marks-new-york.jpg

RGW243

Physical Graffiti is one of my favorite albums and is perfect as is to my ears. I've never understood why so many dislike double albums. How is more music a bad thing? Just skip songs you don't like.:dunno

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member

Agree. Good points. But PG has an atmosphere that is unlike any other Zep album. I have never been able to put my finger on it, but maybe a darker production? The odd, addictive atmospheric quality that Kasmer typifies penetrates the entire album.

Andrewlou302

People say the same about The White Album
And invariably songs some want cut, others love, same here.

Love the album as is, as the band intended.

Pedalometrist

Side 1:
Houses Of The Holy
The Rover
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir

Side 2:
In The Light
Bron Y Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone

Cutting Room floor:

Custard Pie - some people love to like this one, but I think just because it's the first song, and they won't make it thru the whole album anyway. But it's cool to like Zeppelin so they like the first song, even tho the song never goes anywhere.

In My Time of Dying - some cool stuff buried in this one, and could have been edited to make a decent cut, but as is - too long and not worth the cost of 11 minutes of life.

Night Flight/Wanton Song - sounds like cuts on Presence.
Boogie w/Stu - WTH?
Black Country Woman - cute but filler
Sick Again - sounds like a Presence B-side.

Had they gone with the single album as outlined above - this would have rivaled Zeppelin II as their best album.
I couldn’t agree more. I personally think there isn’t a single double album that has been pulled off satisfactorily. Always too much filler.

Top Bottom