Physical Graffiti should have been a single album

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
As far as all the “going nowhere” remarks about the longer songs, remember smoking pot was a big factor in making and listening to these albums. Obviously the songs and parts are great without it, but it's something worth noting when understanding these albums. It was truly an entire experience within each song, and a larger overall one across the whole album.

Bah, I don't smoke pot and I love the longer songs. In My Time of Dying is possibly my favorite song on the album.

peskypesky

Physical Graffiti is one of my favorite albums and is perfect as is to my ears. I've never understood why so many dislike double albums. How is more music a bad thing? Just skip songs you don't like.:dunno

Like you, if I love a band or artist, I usually want MORE, not fewer songs. And if there are some I don't like, I don't have to listen to them. But I still prefer that I have a choice.

In the United States there seems to be an obsession with perfection and ranking and trying to determine what is the best band and the best album and all that. This happens in the sports world to an even greater degree.

So i think Americans get obsessed with trying to "perfect" albums that are already great albums. It's similar to the obsession of gear-heads with trying to find the perfect tone. The perfect pickups. The perfect pedal. Etc.

Are there weaker songs on great albums? Yeah, usually. But for the real fans of that band or artist, even the weaker songs are often enjoyed.

It's kind of like the saying: Sex is like pizza...even when it's not great, it's good.

BG7

Bah, I don't smoke pot and I love the longer songs. In My Time of Dying is possibly my favorite song on the album.

Idk how this became an issue of song length, most of the longer songs are keepers in my OP. I only cut ONE long song and then a truckload of B-side ditties.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Lol. Leave off Wanton Song? One of their all-timers, a masterpiece. Ten Years Gone and Wanton Song. Keep those two no matter what you do.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Man, that’s like saying keep Stairway To Heaven and Four Sticks.
If you can’t hear the greatness of Wanton Song now, maybe someday down the road it will reveal its mightiness to you. It’s just CRUSHING. It may be my favorite post LZ II track.

Last edited:

sahhas

oh, i don't know....i absolutely love "Sick again"...one of my fave tunes of theirs!!!!
custard pie is decent too.
i suppose if it was just a single album, they would have had more stuff for Coda a few years later???

Side 1:
Houses Of The Holy
The Rover
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir

Side 2:
In The Light
Bron Y Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone

Cutting Room floor:

Custard Pie - some people love to like this one, but I think just because it's the first song, and they won't make it thru the whole album anyway. But it's cool to like Zeppelin so they like the first song, even tho the song never goes anywhere.

In My Time of Dying - some cool stuff buried in this one, and could have been edited to make a decent cut, but as is - too long and not worth the cost of 11 minutes of life.

Night Flight/Wanton Song - sounds like cuts on Presence.
Boogie w/Stu - WTH?
Black Country Woman - cute but filler
Sick Again - sounds like a Presence B-side.

Had they gone with the single album as outlined above - this would have rivaled Zeppelin II as their best album.

WW2PT

I said the same thing the day it came out. All the Zeppelin fans I knew were kind of disappointed. There’s enough stellar material for one good LP, the rest should’ve been shelved and used as bonus tracks on the CD version 20 years later.

BG7

I said the same thing the day it came out. All the Zeppelin fans I knew were kind of disappointed. There’s enough stellar material for one good LP, the rest should’ve been shelved and used as bonus tracks on the CD version 20 years later.

Yep. Side 3 + Kashmir is what everybody used to say. But I liked a little more than just that.

Brooks

Hard to cut down to the 1970s standard ~40 minute vinyl album without losing too many good tunes.

When I burn it to a CD its ~65 perfect minutes;

rover
houses
dying
trampled
kasmir
light
bron
seaside
10 years
flight
wanton

peskypesky

Hard to cut down to the 1970s standard ~40 minute vinyl album without losing too many good tunes.

When I burn it to a CD its ~65 perfect minutes;

rover
houses
dying
trampled
kasmir
light
bron
seaside
10 years
flight
wanton