Piano like sustain pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wengr, May 14, 2015.

1. wengr

wengr Member

Hello. Is there something for electric guitar, that can create the effect of a sustain pedal on a piano?
    I'd like to play a chord, and have it ring out while I move on to some lead lines.

I assume I'll have to constantly be turning it on and off, so I have the effect for the chords, but not for the lead lines. And the sustain time would have to be adjustable. Basically something like a digital delay, but with a steady sustain instead of repeats.
    Any info on the best way to accomplish this appreciated.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I "think" my Boss delay pedal has that option......

3. BLNKSN

BLNKSN Member

look into the electro harmonix Freeze and or Superego

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

5. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

If you have a delay pedal that allows the repeats to continue/trail off after you disengage the "send", you can accomplish this effect, but it can take a fair bit of tweaking the settings to get that smooth, seamless, ringing out.

The easiest way I've found to create pseudo pads is to use a looper. Play the chord, then quickly engage the looper (so you don't hear the attack repeated each cycle), capture some time of the chord, close the loop, play the accompanying line. I find I get closer to a keys-type feel if I use my fingers to strike the notes of the chord simultaneously (rather than strumming with a pick), and use a compressor to even out the response and smooth the decay of the signal.

There might be better tools out there now to do this, but this is how I've done it with what I have at hand. I think there are some threads with folks here reverse engineering David Gilmour's signal path to accomplish some of the pads/sustained chords he pulls off live.

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

7. wengr

wengr Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking into the Freeze now. It seems that it does exactly what I want.
    But the demos I'm hearing have an odd tone for the sustained chords/notes. Sounds more like an electronic keyboard.
    I wonder why this is? I want something to do this, but not change the tone of the guitar.

8. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Perhaps if you find a pedal does not accurately suit your needs, I can recall Fernandes has a sustainer pickup capable of sustaining a note infinitely. My knowledge of this device is from the early 2000's, so I am not sure how far the technology has come since then or if it is still in use. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

9. GTBJ

GTBJ Member

The Freeze pedal repeats a very short (milliseconds only) sample/snapshot of whatever is happening when you hit the switch. This takes away the constant shifting of a natural waveform and makes it sound quite artificial.

The Superego is good in this regard, because the effects loop allows you to put another effect back in (such as chorus or whatever else) to give a bit of movement back to the drone and help it sound a little more fluid.

You could try one of the older Alesis rack or 1/3 rack units which use an external DEFEAT footswitch. They are not true bypass and leave the trails of the previous sound intact when you hit the defeat switch. Use a momentary instead of the usual latching switch and you have yourself a trailing momentary reverb - which is close (and more natural sounding) to what you're trying to do, I think.

10. wengr

wengr Member

Thanks for this. It's unfortunate because these EH pedals have the right idea, but I need some decent sampling time so that it sounds like what is input.
    That is an interesting idea. I'll look into it.

11. wengr

wengr Member

Thanks. I'm hoping to find a solution that will free all the strings to be played while the chord sustains, and if i understand correctly, a pickup won't allow that.